Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 19:47 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 19:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,   Clauses,   Modifiers,                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7903 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
Re: According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count [#permalink]
Hello Team,

I would like to know the role played by ''that of '' in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. I understand that is acting as a demonstrative pronoun, thus ''that'' should modify the logical antecedent of GNP. However, the antecedent for ''that'' can grammatically only be ''eleventh largest GNP''. And that would make the meaning illogical. How, then the OA is correct? How ''that'' is conveniently able to modify only the GNP and not the entire noun phrase: ''eleventh largest (adjective)+ GNP (noun)''?

Would be helpful if some can resolve this doubt.

Regards
Vighnesh Kamath
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4699 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count [#permalink]
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
Hello Team,

I would like to know the role played by ''that of '' in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. I understand that is acting as a demonstrative pronoun, thus ''that'' should modify the logical antecedent of GNP. However, the antecedent for ''that'' can grammatically only be ''eleventh largest GNP''. And that would make the meaning illogical. How, then the OA is correct? How ''that'' is conveniently able to modify only the GNP and not the entire noun phrase: ''eleventh largest (adjective)+ GNP (noun)''?

Regards
Vighnesh Kamath

Hello VIGHNESHKAMATH,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in such sentences, the pronouns "that" and "those" actually do refer to only the main noun of the relevant noun phrase. Thus, here, "that" refers only to "gross national product", rather than to "world’s eleventh largest gross national product".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3547 [1]
Given Kudos: 153
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
How ''that'' is conveniently able to modify only the GNP and not the entire noun phrase: ''eleventh largest (adjective)+ GNP (noun)''?

This is quite common in case of Demonstrative pronouns.

For example:

Peter's bicycle runs faster than that of Mike.

Here, that is referring to bicycle and not to Peter's bicycle.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [1]
Given Kudos: 1835
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
Hello Team,

Regards
Vighnesh Kamath

Let's start with a simpler example of "that of" (the OA from this official question):

"The population of Japan is shrinking faster than that of any other nation and is projected to decline by 17 percent during the next half century."

The meaning here is pretty obvious: "The population of Japan is shrinking faster than the population of any other nation..."

But wait a minute: how did we know to replace "that" with just "population" and not with the entire noun phrase ("population of Japan")? Well, because the structure and context of the sentence made it clear that we were comparing the population of one place to the population of some other place(s). Also, comparing (1) the population of Japan to (2) the population of Japan of any other nation doesn't make any sense at all.

Is it grammatically possible for "that" to refer to "population of Japan"? Sure. But if the structure and context suggest a perfectly logical comparison and you have to do a lot of work to make it illogical, then the pronoun is probably okay. The same is true in choice (C). :)

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Hello experts,
what exactly is wrong with A?
Can we say ",that" is always wrong?(although I haven't seen so far in correct choice)

I eliminated it due to - ,that!
looking forward to an expert opinion
Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 4699 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcoolguy wrote:
Hello experts,
what exactly is wrong with A?
Can we say ",that" is always wrong?(although I haven't seen so far in correct choice)

I eliminated it due to - ,that!
looking forward to an expert opinion
Thanks!

Hello dcoolguy,

To answer your query, Option A incorrectly uses the "comma + that" construction; please remember, "that" is never preceded by a comma, unless the comma sets off a phrase that conveys extra information.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello Team,

May I know why option a is wrong...

Is it true that in op a'that is' should not be used to explain non essential modifier..
And which should be used to explain non essential modifier...
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 67722 [1]
Given Kudos: 438
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Hello Team,

May I know why option a is wrong...

Is it true that in op a'that is' should not be used to explain non essential modifier..
And which should be used to explain non essential modifier...

Yes, the first “that” is used as a relative pronoun at the beginning of a relative clause. But the comma indicates that it is non essential. But “that” cannot begin a non essential clause. Also use of “is” is questionable. Los Angeles doesn’t have a GNP. How can we say that it is greater than that of other nations? It’s all a hypothetical discussion.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
How did we determine that option A is incorrect? How do you know "that is" after the comma incorrectly used?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 371 [2]
Given Kudos: 762
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
vinayakjjw wrote:
How did we determine that option A is incorrect?

One easy reason to eliminate (A) is that the original sentence has a comma splice error. Two parts of (A) could each be a complete sentence, and the two parts are joined with just a comma. This is a serious problem; an answer with a comma splice can never be the right answer.

The first part of (A) could be a complete sentence: If one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product

The second part of (A) could also be a complete sentence: That is bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands
This is a weird meaningless sentence, but grammatically it IS a sentence.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7903 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
To those who are asking why A is incorrect, please check back a bit--a few different experts have answered now. I think Karishma actually covered it quite succinctly 4 years ago. :)

KarishmaB wrote:

In (A), "that" is used incorrectly. The first "that" acts as a relative pronoun which is restrictive so it shouldn't be after a comma. Though what follows that is not a restrictive modifier since it only adds to already well defined "eleventh largest GNP". Hence the use of that is incorrect.
The second that acts as a pronoun for "gross national product".

Own Kudos [?]: 4699 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vinayakjjw wrote:
How did we determine that option A is incorrect? How do you know "that is" after the comma incorrectly used?

Hello vinayakjjw,

To answer your query, Option A incorrectly uses the construction "comma + that" to refer to extra information - information that is not vital to the core meaning of the sentence - namely, the fact that the hypothetical "the world’s eleventh largest gross national product" would be bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands; remember, "comma + which" is used to refer to extra information, and "that" is used to refer to information important to the core meaning of the sentence.

To understand the concept of "Which" vs "That" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 494
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Good question! It tests the basic subjunctive usage.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 876 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts