It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [3], given: 3

According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:04) correct 29% (01:18) wrong based on 782 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

A. if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is

B. if the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that being

C. if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product,

D. were the Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation, it will have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, which is

E. when the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, thus

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My doubt is if 'Los Angeles metropolitan area' uses the verb 'were', that means it is regarded as plural right ? So usage of it in 'it would have the...' will make it a wrong option right ?
Guys, can anyone help me out here ? Am I missing anything ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by abhimahna on 27 Feb 2017, 04:26, edited 4 times in total.
Added OA

Kudos [?]: 26 [3], given: 3

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6122 [5], given: 121

Re: According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 22:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ted123 wrote:
According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world's eleventh largest gross national product, bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

The underlined portion is the correct answer to Qn 30 of GMAT Verbal 2016.

My doubt is if 'Los Angeles metropolitan area' uses the verb 'were', that means it is regarded as plural right ? So usage of it in 'it would have the...' will make it a wrong option right ?

Hi,
it is correct the way it is..
reason:-
'if' is used in hypothetical situations and the 'if clause' in these situations takes plural verb irrespective of the singular subject..
for example..
if I were the prime minister, i would do ....
if country x were a super power, it would have flexed its muscles more than present super powers..
hope it helps

three formats of conditional sentences..

1) If + present simple , future simple
Example: If you work hard, you will pass with good marks.

2) If + past simple , conditional simple (would + infinitive)
Example: as in the cases mentioned above

3) If + past perfect, past conditional
Example: If ravi had learnt his lessons, he wouldn't have failed his exam

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6122 [5], given: 121

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 294 [1], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

the answer to your question lies in the following: the mood of the sentence is HYPOTHETICAL; i.e, the sentence is talking about the imaginary situation .it is similar to a sentence : if I WERE a millionare ......... ----->"I" is singular but still takes the plural "WERE"

Kudos [?]: 294 [1], given: 61

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 23:09
Understood... :-)
thanks guys...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 61

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 23:14
i will appreciate if you can put the entire question .This is a beautiful question, more so for its non underlined part :According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world's eleventh largest gross national product, bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 61

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 02:52
Please post the entire question that's the only way its going to be beneficial for all.

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 02:52
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-217150.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 26

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 05:15
According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would
have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is
bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

(A) if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is

(B) if the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that being

(C) if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product,

(D) were the Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation, it will have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, which is

(E) when the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, thus

Got it right, the question was posted in SC forum not in a correct way (http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-official-verbal-2016-sc-qn-30-error-210388.html) , so here it is.

"Give without remembering, take without forgetting"
- Kudos

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 26

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 00:52
    arun@crackverbal
Could you please enlighten us here?
1. What are the things compared in the last two sentences? Especially last sentence GNP or AREA? If GNP then why the author has used LARGEST firstly and then BIGGER latter?
2. if the same thing(GNP <<< numbers) is being compared then why two different verbs?
3. Throw some light about when to use larger or bigger? Basic difference.

According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would
have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is
bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

(A) if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is

(B) if the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that being

(C) if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product,

(D) were the Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation, it will have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, which is

(E) when the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, thus

If you can't give up, you can't lose.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 05:44
Top Contributor
According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

A. if one were to count the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that is

B. if the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, that being

C. if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product,

D. were the Los Angeles metropolitan area a separate nation, it will have the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, which is

E. when the Los Angeles metropolitan area is counted as a separate nation, it has the world’s eleventh largest gross national product, thus

OG Verbal 2016 ,Q 30

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3052 [0], given: 220

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [1], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 05:45
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor

OG Verbal 2016 ,Q 30

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3052 [1], given: 220

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1146 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 06:29
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG Verbal 2016 ,Q 30

Option (C) uses Subjunctive mood correctly : If X were Y , to express a hypothetical situation thus this must be the correct answer...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1146 [0], given: 327

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 212

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 06:45
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG Verbal 2016 ,Q 30

Only A and C has used subjunctive mood correctly.
Option C compares the GNP of LA to the GNP of Australia, Mexico or the Nederlands properly.
Answer C

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 212

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 21:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
chetan2u wrote:
ted123 wrote:
According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles County, if the Los Angeles metropolitan area were a separate nation, it would have the world's eleventh largest gross national product, bigger than that of Australia, Mexico, or the Netherlands.

The underlined portion is the correct answer to Qn 30 of GMAT Verbal 2016.

Hi,
it is correct the way it is..
reason:-
'if' is used in hypothetical situations and the 'if clause' in these situations takes plural verb irrespective of the singular subject..
for example..
if I were the prime minister, i would do ....
if country x were a super power, it would have flexed its muscles more than present super powers..
hope it helps

three formats of conditional sentences..

1) If + present simple , future simple
Example: If you work hard, you will pass with good marks.

2) If + past simple , conditional simple (would + infinitive)
Example: as in the cases mentioned above

3) If + past perfect, past conditional
Example: If ravi had learnt his lessons, he wouldn't have failed his exam

"Would Have" in "then clause" , requires past perfect in "If clause".

option C . has "would have" in then clause but no past perfect in if clause.

i am confused.

pls help

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 15:04
Hi, In this question - is there any issue with THAT IS after comma in option A and WHICH is in option D?
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 80

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 09:55

Issue: Structure | Meaning

Analysis:
1. The sentence talks about a hypothetical situation in which Los Angeles metropolitan area is a nation, though it is actually not.
- The correct form for such cases is: if + subject + simple past tense + could/would/might + verb in simple form
- So the form of this sentence should be: if X were Y, it would ....

I have highlighted the issues in options below:

- ", that.." that is incorrectly used for non-essential modifier here

- ", that.." that is incorrectly used for non-essential modifier here

Answer: C

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 31

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8331 [2], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2017, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
There are three types of conditional sentences: First Conditional, Second Conditional, and Third Conditional

1. First Conditional: if clause = If + present tense, then main clause=- future (will) or present tense + bare infinitive
(Bare infinitive means the base form of the verb)
Example: If I have enough money, I will buy a house (future tense)
If the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by three, the number is divisible by three

2. Second Conditional: If clause = if + simple past tense, then main clause = would or might or could + bare infinitive
Example: If I had enough money, I would buy a house
If I were Bill Gates, I would donate $100 to Mother Theresa's Ashram every month.

3. Third Conditional: If clause = If + past perfect, then the main clause = would have + past participle (technically called the conditional perfect)
Example: If I had had enough money, I would have bought a house.

rishabhdxt wrote

Quote:
"Would Have" in "then clause", requires past perfect in "If clause".

Option C. has "would have" in then clause but no past perfect in if clause.

i am confused.

The 'would have' in the then clause you have referred is not past perfect. It is simply the future past of will namely 'would' + the bare infinitive 'have'. This example corresponds to the second conditional cited above.
If you want to use a past perfect in the 'if clause', then the sentence will be:

if one had counted the Los Angeles metropolitan area as a separate nation, it would have had the world’s eleventh largest gross national product -- Please note that the conditional past perfect you had in mind takes the form of 'would have had'

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8331 [2], given: 366

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Finance, International Business

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 19:40
In this If -then conditional sentence only options A and C are following the correct verb form. Now A uses the Subject one which is incorrect. So is there any other error in option A?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2017, 19:40

According to the Economic Development Corporation of Los Angeles Count

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap