GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jan 2019, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Actual Scores in GMAT vs all the advice given on Forums and Elsewhere

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Actual Scores in GMAT vs all the advice given on Forums and Elsewhere  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 18:34
I want to start this discussion to share my experience and also to see if there are people who have faced similar situations.
First - it is said that GMAT very tough geometry comes up only when one is doing well. In my actual test experience the first 10 questions I figured was good. The next 10 questions were extremely tough - statistics, geometry, number properties - definitely 700+ level. I kept thinking I was having a 60-70% hit rate - because the last 10 questions that followed were relatively easy ones - till 650+ level. Eventually when I finished the Quantitative section - I thought I had settled for a Q 45-48 score - did not cross the 50 s. There was another very strange thing - the exact topics I thought I had to revise the night before but did not get time, were the topics which were being tested. serendipity?

Then came Verbal. I had gone in with a stronger prep in Quantitative and given my experience, I had been given the advice that anything above 650+ would be more than sufficient even for the top tier schools. So Verbal strategy was to stay in the V 35+ zone. The verbal RC's that followed were quite tough - which made me feel I was again doing well. SC's in the end came to 2 fully underlined, nested problems - again an indication that I was doing well. The CR I think I somehow cracked under pressure - as the last few once were quite easy. Even then in my test practice I have been advised that this should take me up to a lower 30s score ~ V 32-33, if not the V 35 + zone.

So, in that case I was expecting that my final score would be somewhere around 650, maybe hovering +/- 10 - which would place me in the 2nd tier schools and I would have to make a decision as to if I should accept the score or try for a 700+ to definitely put me through 1st and 2nd tier; basically increase my probability of getting through upwards of 70%

Now comes the surprising part - The score that was flashed was not even in the zone I was expecting. Also, the score that was eventually flashed had scores missing in Essay/IR - either/or - cannot remember exactly. Which struck me strange, but given you have to make choices within a split second and you are not allowed to take pictures or any screenshot - I decided best to cancel the score and retake. I could have complained to the test administrator at site - but as soon as I came out - I found one of the administrators rigorously trying to delete my scratch card in order to not keep proof of anything I had done at the test, as soon as I came out, this despite no test takers being immediately there after me and there being many empty scratch cards lying around to be provided - now that I again found very strange - thus thought keeping mum was my best option. She would anyways have given some random reason.

Many would say, no point complaining - take it as it is. However, posting to see if anyone has experience 1) such huge swings in scores expected vs real 2) Strange test administrators, with extreme enthusiasm to delete scratch paper of test takers, 3) If the ESR is requested any way to get the exact questions and performance result? I have been advised against this, so any pointers would be very helpful.

Now, my previous experience with asking for any clarification from GMAT authorities has proved futile. I am finding this quite unnerving as I plan to give my next test at the same center. If the scores are not flashed properly or recorded properly either due to computer malfunction or otherwise, is there any way to protect oneself. When you have given some tests - generally one has an idea about pace time score etc - and I having been an A student throughout my life (sorry for the boasting), always have and scored nearby the mark I have estimated. This is the first test in my entire life which is proving otherwise. I have a PhD from USA and even then I had gone in with an expectation, which proved similar - I was eyeing for the ivy leagues - did not happen due to my GRE score - so went for the 2nd tier. But again I knew what I was going in for and had backups etc in place. The GMAT experience is completely disproving any strategies for learning I have ever taken in my life.

That is my experience. I am looking to hear back and see if anyone has faced similar experiences. I am eyeing for the 1 year international MBA's.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Actual Scores in GMAT vs all the advice given on Forums and Elsewhere  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 19:10
1) such huge swings in scores expected vs real
Plenty, search the forum
2) Strange test administrators, with extreme enthusiasm to delete scratch paper of test takers
Which test centre?
You should contact the test centre provider or GMAC, not this forum, if you feel there was administrative fault.
3) If the ESR is requested any way to get the exact questions and performance result?
There are plenty of them on this forum. Have a look and see if you think they are sufficient.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Actual Scores in GMAT vs all the advice given on Forums and Elsewhere  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 19:47
DebbieChats

I'm sorry the test didn't go as you planned. I just want you to know that you're not alone.

Although I haven't experienced any problems with test-admins -- if they were unprofessional, you absolutely must alert the GMAC -- I have struggled with performance day jitters and my score has swung by as much as 100 points. You may check my signature below if you're interested. Large swings in the score, though unpleasant, are possible for a variety of reasons, ranging from lack of a firm grasp of the fundamentals, score inflation on prep tests, poor testing to performance issues. Without knowing where exactly you are in your prep, it's impossible for me to identify the "why" behind the swing, but just know its possible. Also, the ESR can be helpful if you need to know where you need to improve. It won't give you information regarding the exact questions but it will give you a section-wise breakdown of your performance, which is more helpful than you think. If you think you know exactly why you scored poorly then there's no need for the ESR.

PS. Feel free to PM, happy to help in figuring out the reason behind the swing in scores

The importance of mindset on the GMAT - 640 to 690 to 740 (Q49 V42) : https://bit.ly/2R1WaK5

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Actual Scores in GMAT vs all the advice given on Forums and Elsewhere &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jan 2019, 19:47

Actual Scores in GMAT vs all the advice given on Forums and Elsewhere

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap