GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Admitted - Booth (No $) vs Yale ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Booth   Yale   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Admitted - Booth (No $) vs Yale ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Apr 2020, 17:30
Hey everyone!

I really need some help on this tough decision! So hard to pull the trigger!!!

Here is my background first. I have been working in Canada for about four years: three years in a small boutique asset management firm doing research and less than one-year doing infrastructure investment at an investment fund. Post-MBA, I would like to stay in infrastructure investment. also open to IBD, but preferably can stay in buy-side. My experience is more on the fund investment side, but want to switch to direct infrastructure.

Yale scholarship will cover roughly 50% of my tuition while Booth offers me nothing. Since I want to go back to finance, Booth, as a "Finance" school seems like a good choice alongside its flexible curriculum, faculty, and placement records.

My question is: if I want to come back to Canada, how big the difference will be between the two in terms of brand recognization? Also, will Booth be a much better brand in the US vs Yale SOM?

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated!!

Originally posted by ABCTheNorth on 29 Mar 2020, 15:35.
Last edited by ABCTheNorth on 08 Apr 2020, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Admitted - Booth (No $) vs Yale ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Mar 2020, 20:39
Congratulations on your admits!

Would you be looking to recruit in Canada out of Booth or after several years?

stoiczoan or kmwantstogoschool - what do you feel is a good choice here?
ak99 or ibanker93 - Oops. I think these guys got admitted but chose other programs (sorry for the ping)

user123456789 or unaverage maybe I get it right this time?

hoping to ping some of our Yale Students. How do you feel Yale compares to Booth in Finance?

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!

Originally posted by bb on 29 Mar 2020, 20:36.
Last edited by bb on 29 Mar 2020, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Wrong Ping
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2020, 04:51
bb
Thank for replying! Regarding the post-graduation location, it depends on where the opportunity comes I guess, preferably Canada though.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2020, 22:40
Hey OP, as an international candidate myself, I would be shooting in the dark trying to compare Booth vs Yale brand value in the US and/or Canada but as a Booth 2Y I can confirm that finance recruiting here is robust and through a combination of school/alumni/student resources - a lot of doors open up. It is always a tad harder if you need work authorisation as an international wanting to work in the US, but safe to say if you’re planning to go back to Canada, you should be able to leverage Booth to find a great finance gig of your choice there. Banking is your best bet as an international because they are super willing to sponsor etc and offer a bunch of locations. Know some people at booth who recruited for banking in London/Hong Kong and were successful!

Posted from my mobile device
Alum
V
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 10:24
I'll let the Boothies take over (kmwantstogoschool is perfect of course) but I'd pick Booth if I were you. Booth has an insane brand all over the world. They redefined economics for the rest of the world and you'd have no problem internationally speaking. Also, might as well try to negotiate a bit?
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2020, 10:26
Haha I did share some info with OP but I would never presume to recommend my school over another, the choice should be organic! I can only supply information!!

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.78
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 14:01
Hey ABCTheNorth,

First off, congratulations on getting into two great programs. I'm a first year at SOM right now and can hopefully give a little perspective on that side of your conundrum.

You're correct that Yale is more of a consulting powerhouse than it is a finance school as you mentioned. That being said, that has much more to do with the interests of the students than the reputation of the school in my opinion. Going to consulting vs. finance events during the first semester is a drastic difference. More people just want to do consulting at Yale right now than finance. I pulled up the document of where the class of 2020 is going, however, and it's got every big name in the finance world you can think of on it. I'm sure Booth has all the exact same names. All the big names come recruit at SOM so its just about how you perform in your interviews and how you connect with the folk at those firms - you'll get your shot to impress.

As far as your main question you asked regarding brand recognition in Canada and the US - anecdotally, I've not once ever encountered an issue with Yale's brand recognition and none of my international classmates (including Canada) have either. I fully understand that SOM is not the same as the parent university, but its a top 10 MBA program with the Y-bomb in its name - the brand does just fine from my perspective.

For a finance person, you seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room regarding this decision. The perspective you will get from UChicago and Yale in your finance classes will be different. At Chicago you'll focus a lot on free markets and market efficiency with strong influence from people like Friedman and Fama, while at Yale you'll spend a little more time looking into behavioral finance and market failures with influence from people like Shiller and Chanos. Obviously both schools will cover everything you'll need to know about the finance basics, but when it comes to electives for a finance focused student, the difference in these programs is large. Which topics would you prefer to spend more time thinking about? It's just personal preference.

50% scholarship or around $75k is nothing to take lightly, but you really can't go wrong either way. If you want to chat more about SOM just PM me - one of my good friends is actually going to an infrastructure investment fund this summer (sounds like a really cool industry) and I can connect you two if you want.

Good luck with the decision and congrats again!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 16:49
Booth is considerably stronger on the finance side (more pronounced on buyside opps vs IBD) and the brand name is stronger. The money is nothing to sneeze at and SOM is a great program but I would go Booth here given your goals. Have you tried reaching out to Booth to see if they will offer any scholarship given the money SOM has given you?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Admitted - Booth (No $) vs Yale ($$)   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2020, 16:49

Admitted - Booth (No $) vs Yale ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate