Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing, International Business
Schools:Kellogg
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
thanks steel! thanks ohthatmba

i just submitted my housing application at the McManus as well. Just so much easier as an international student...and the place actually looks quite decent! Although, called me spoilt but I not a huge fan of single beds...mmm, gotta work that one out...haha

im not attending DAK II unfortunately but I'm keen to find out more about the KWEST trips!

Steel wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:
I would seriously consider waiving out of whatever you can. I'm going to waive as many courses as possible so I can get to the good stuff more quickly. Kellogg even encourages students to do this. Here's a direct quote from their website: "The school encourages students to consider waiving core courses when eligible. Waivers enable the student to enrich their Kellogg experience with a greater number of advanced electives." See https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/we ... aiver.aspx. I've talked to several current students about this, and without exception, they all suggested waiving courses.

I'm all for waiving courses. I waived both DECS class and MECN, and happy I did. It freed me to take M-Lab in the fall, a higher level competitive strategy course in the winter, and new products and services (which I might be starting a business out of).

As for waiving Accounting, Finance, and Marketing, it depends on whether your think you need a refresher. I took Finance again because my Finance class undergrad (in Econ) was bad and I hadn't retained anything. I know plenty of people who waived one or two of the above because of their business undergrad education. I also know a few who repeated. Generally the people waiving were happier for it, but it depends on what you want to get out of the course.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
wincew wrote:

i just submitted my housing application at the McManus as well. Just so much easier as an international student...and the place actually looks quite decent! Although, called me spoilt but I not a huge fan of single beds...mmm, gotta work that one out...haha

im not attending DAK II unfortunately but I'm keen to find out more about the KWEST trips!

haha - I'm leading the KWEST trip to Hong Kong and Macao, but I have the sneaking suspicion you might be interested in another trip!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
Steel wrote:
wincew wrote:

haha - I'm leading the KWEST trip to Hong Kong and Macao, but I have the sneaking suspicion you might be interested in another trip!

Awesome - good chance I'll be joining you on that trip. Dying to go to Hong Kong. When will details regarding KWEST be released?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I had a good conversation with my Kellogg assigned 'buddy' last night. Learned a good deal about I-Banking recruiting this past year at K, and some info about housing. I'm still leaning towards renting a house with a group of guys, but if not that, then definitely renting a 2BR condo with a roommate at Optima Views or Horizons. That place sounds pretty similar to what I'm used to. In house W/D, new everything.

Also, still no word about financial aid. I'm approaching the 3 week mark since I turned in my application. I'm getting kind of antsy. I just want to know so I can figure out my budget and how much I'm going to have for housing and figure out that next piece of the puzzle. Oh well.

And I'm the OhThatMBA, when will KWEST details be released? I'm dying here for some more info.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
I had a good conversation with my Kellogg assigned 'buddy' last night. Learned a good deal about I-Banking recruiting this past year at K, and some info about housing. I'm still leaning towards renting a house with a group of guys, but if not that, then definitely renting a 2BR condo with a roommate at Optima Views or Horizons. That place sounds pretty similar to what I'm used to. In house W/D, new everything.

Optima Views & Horizons both look great. Have you looked into Park Evanston? Looks nice also. I may be up for a roommate, but it'll depend on how things look after I crunch the financials (which depends on what financial aid tells me!).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Good to hear I'm not the only one getting antsy about fin aid! I want to send in my deposit, but am waiting to see how much money I get...
Current Student
 Q49  V38
Send PM
OhThatMBA wrote:
Steel wrote:
wincew wrote:

Awesome - good chance I'll be joining you on that trip. Dying to go to Hong Kong. When will details regarding KWEST be released?

nice - hkg and macao will be heaps of fun...definitely places for a good party! dont expect too much from macao though, that place is like a dying city in the current economy...alot of unfinished constructions around.

if you guys want to know the good local places to eat, let me know!

cheers
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
jb32 wrote:

Also, still no word about financial aid. I'm approaching the 3 week mark since I turned in my application. I'm getting kind of antsy. I just want to know so I can figure out my budget and how much I'm going to have for housing and figure out that next piece of the puzzle. Oh well.

And I'm the OhThatMBA, when will KWEST details be released? I'm dying here for some more info.

For some reason it took them close to a month to send me my financial aid info, so the 2 week turnaround may not always hold true. I think I remember seeing on the admitted student website that KWEST signups will be May 10, so info should probably be up on the website soon. Also, for people going to DAK you'll get a booklet with details on all the trips for this year.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
From the pictures, it looked like a twin bed to me. Is it actually a single bed?

While my girlfriend is not moving with me, she's probably going to be in Chicago often and a single bed would definitely be an issue.

wincew wrote:

Steel wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:
I would seriously consider waiving out of whatever you can. I'm going to waive as many courses as possible so I can get to the good stuff more quickly. Kellogg even encourages students to do this. Here's a direct quote from their website: "The school encourages students to consider waiving core courses when eligible. Waivers enable the student to enrich their Kellogg experience with a greater number of advanced electives." See https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/we ... aiver.aspx. I've talked to several current students about this, and without exception, they all suggested waiving courses.

I'm all for waiving courses. I waived both DECS class and MECN, and happy I did. It freed me to take M-Lab in the fall, a higher level competitive strategy course in the winter, and new products and services (which I might be starting a business out of).

As for waiving Accounting, Finance, and Marketing, it depends on whether your think you need a refresher. I took Finance again because my Finance class undergrad (in Econ) was bad and I hadn't retained anything. I know plenty of people who waived one or two of the above because of their business undergrad education. I also know a few who repeated. Generally the people waiving were happier for it, but it depends on what you want to get out of the course.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Funny thing happened, shortly after my above post I received my Financial Aid award letter. It looks like Kellogg gave me a good amount of money in need/merit-based scholarships, which I'm tremendously thrilled about!!! It seems the delay for most of us was due to the office waiting for the release of the 2009-2010 student budget, which is now available under the financial aid section of the admitted student website. The biggest difference for this year seems to be the increase in tuition to $49,074. It really doesn't appear the COA went up outside of tuition, which seems a little unusual.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Funny thing happened, shortly after my above post I received my Financial Aid award letter. It looks like Kellogg gave me a good amount of money in need/merit-based scholarships, which I'm tremendously thrilled about!!!

Wow congrats!!
Current Student
 Q49  V38
Send PM
[quote="yellowjacket"]From the pictures, it looked like a twin bed to me. Is it actually a single bed?

While my girlfriend is not moving with me, she's probably going to be in Chicago often and a single bed would definitely be an issue.

Where did you see that?

https://www.northwestern.edu/gradhousing ... iency.html

the bed looks quite small to me...?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
wincew wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:
From the pictures, it looked like a twin bed to me. Is it actually a single bed?

Where did you see that?

https://www.northwestern.edu/gradhousing ... iency.html

the bed looks quite small to me...?

Yeah that definitely looks like a twin/single bed.

Also just for definitions, twin bed is the same thing as a single bed...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
For those of you waiting for financial aid, does the Caeser application say they received your tax forms? I sent mine over two weeks ago, and while it says they received my FAFSA, it says my next step is to send my taxes. But I already did that...

Also, have you guys been hearing anything from the admissions office? My other admits are in constant contact, matching me up with alums, current students, etc. Kellogg? Not a peep - not even a response to three different emails (including one asking a week ago if they received my tax forms).
Current Student
 Q49  V38
Send PM
monkbent wrote:
For those of you waiting for financial aid, does the Caeser application say they received your tax forms? I sent mine over two weeks ago, and while it says they received my FAFSA, it says my next step is to send my taxes. But I already did that...

Also, have you guys been hearing anything from the admissions office? My other admits are in constant contact, matching me up with alums, current students, etc. Kellogg? Not a peep - not even a response to three different emails (including one asking a week ago if they received my tax forms).

Nope - I havent heard anything either...I got an email about ACE, that's pretty much it.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
monkbent wrote:

I would give the FinAid office a call because every time I've called, I've gotten a prompt helpful response. I received an email about FinAid, but nothing updated on CAESAR.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
monkbent wrote:

My status, before I got my award letter, said "complete" next to each item on the list, so I would call the FinAid office to see whether they have everything they need.

I don't think I've spoken to admissions since they called me, other than the email confirming they received my deposit. The contact with the school has been from students: my K-bud and I have exchanged emails and talked on the phone, and someone from the healthcare club called me (I'm assuming because I had put on my application I was interested in healthcare).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  59