GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4426
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jun 2017, 22:56
4
6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:11) correct 41% (01:24) wrong based on 347 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers", spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.

A) as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged

B) as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged

C) as a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden was being arranged

D) during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden

E) while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online


Originally posted by souvik101990 on 01 May 2015, 08:20.
Last edited by Vyshak on 22 Jun 2017, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Typos
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2645
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 13:19
1
1
souvik101990 wrote:
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers", spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.


A) as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged

B) as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged

C) as a bouquet or roses just picked from his garden was being arranged
being in passive voice - correctly used. good choice!

D) during the arrangement of a bouquet or roses, just picked from his garden
changes meaning. just picked from his garden in a vase...doesn't make sense.

E) while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden
they - no antecedent.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Perspiring
Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 96
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 22:27
1
Option D & E are tempting at first, but are grammatically incorrect.
D) during the arrangement of a bouquet or roses, just picked from his garden in a vase on his bedroom windowsill. [Garden can't be in a vase]
E) while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden in a vase on his bedroom windowsill. [Garden can't be in a vase]

Even though 'Spoken as' sounds uncommon, but that is where our answer lies.
A) as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged
B) as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged
BOQUET - A collective noun is SINGULAR

Correct answer is
C) as a bouquet or roses just picked from his garden was being arranged
PS: An option with being is not always incorrect !!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Re: Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 01:25
1
mvictor wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers", spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.


A) as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged

B) as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged

C) as a bouquet or roses just picked from his garden was being arranged
being in passive voice - correctly used. good choice!

D) during the arrangement of a bouquet or roses, just picked from his garden
changes meaning. just picked from his garden in a vase...doesn't make sense.

E) while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden
they - no antecedent.


I am puzzled why 'a bouquet or roses' is correct. shouldn't it be bouquet of roses? is it a typo. While I agree that bouquet was being arranged is correct over were arranged. seems both are wrong it there is no typo error.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Posts: 94
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Re: Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 07:51
ravinder050484 wrote:
mvictor wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was "flowers", spoken as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged in a vase on his bedroom windowsill.


A) as a bouquet consisting of roses just picked from his garden were arranged

B) as a bouquet of roses, just picked from his garden, were arranged

C) as a bouquet or roses just picked from his garden was being arranged
being in passive voice - correctly used. good choice!

D) during the arrangement of a bouquet or roses, just picked from his garden
changes meaning. just picked from his garden in a vase...doesn't make sense.

E) while they arranged a bouquet of roses that had just been picked, from his garden
they - no antecedent.


I am puzzled why 'a bouquet or roses' is correct. shouldn't it be bouquet of roses? is it a typo. While I agree that bouquet was being arranged is correct over were arranged. seems both are wrong it there is no typo error.


Yes, it is a typo. This this question here: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-artist-pierre-auguste-renoir-s-last-word-was-flowers-167279.html
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 641
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 10:53
1
(C) is the only possible answer to the question.

(A) and (E) both contain the unsupported pronoun "they". Every pronoun on the GMAT will have an antecedent (the only exception to this rule is "it", which can appear in reference to the universe as a whole, e.g. "it is a nice day today").

We can also eliminate (B) for verb tense problems. "as" indicates that things are going on simultaneously, so switching to "had just been" is wrong.

(D) has modification issues. We need to remember that the part of the sentence after the underlined portion also has to make sense. Looking at the fragment:

"during the arrangement of a bouquet of roses just picked from his garden in a vase on his bedroom windowsill"

we see that (D) makes is sound as though the garden is in a vase on his bedroom windowsill, which makes no sense.

Only (C) gets everything in the sentence where it should be, uses the correct tenses and doesn't introduce any ambiguous pronouns.

As an aside, it's certainly correct that "being" is rarely correct on the GMAT. A good general rule of thumb is "other things being equal, don't pick choices with "being" in them". However, avoiding "being" is a style choice, so if the only gramatically correct choice uses the word, that choice will be correct.
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3387
Premium Member
Re: Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 07:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was &nbs [#permalink] 09 Sep 2018, 07:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advanced SC: The artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir's last word was

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.