Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 854
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: advantage /disadvantage [#permalink]
jedit wrote:
Hatakekakashi wrote:
Hello Experts,
Showing self employment for 2 years VS a 2 years full time at a company , is there any disadvantage /disadvantage to the former while showing it in your profile

My take - Self employed ( own business) is IMO better , you would know more about how to run a business and have a better business knack and if the business has failed there is something to always learn from it

Regards,
HK

I wouldn't say that with certainty. It could help being self employed or work against you depending on how remarkable your achievements are in your business and how open you are still to the workman like regimen required to prepare and apply to good colleges.

Hey thanks for the quick response. much needed thanks

regards ,
Hk
VP
VP
Send PM
advantage /disadvantage [#permalink]
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi there,

Given the way AdComms review applications, it's all going to depend on the details. Are there certain names (like MBB, big4, or top IBs) that stand out? Sure. But just because you have a big vs. small name on your resume or a company of your own doesn't give you an edge. What matters is what you did in that role and how you frame your experiences.

If you ran your own company for 2 years and have nothing to show for it, it won't matter. To be clear, this doesn't necessarily mean the business had to be wildly successful. It can be about the things you learned and experiences you took away from it that allowed you to mature and grow as a professional. These are the things that will help you stand out. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Hi ,
I understand , thanks for the response , much needed . I am in a fix as to how to shape my story ,as i am unsure as to wether i should show a full time job or show a business of my own , because i have done both . I wish i can streamline it and create a logical sense to what i have done . Thanks

Regards,
HK
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is all about the impact of your two years, where it was at is less important although it is easier for admissions to understand your role/function at firms that admissions is familiar with. But breakthrough performance and results will trump any other option. Just make it clear your role/function and what results you DIRECTLY contributed too!
VP
VP
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
It is all about the impact of your two years, where it was at is less important although it is easier for admissions to understand your role/function at firms that admissions is familiar with. But breakthrough performance and results will trump any other option. Just make it clear your role/function and what results you DIRECTLY contributed too!

Hello Dozie ,
Thank you again for your response. I will work accordingly to further enhance my application and solidify my chance at schools
Regards,
HK
GMAT Club Bot