GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 21:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing for the GMAT
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 1630
Location: Pakistan
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 13:39
3
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:11) correct 44% (01:38) wrong based on 268 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: McGraw Hill GMAT

Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata olives. The more kalamata olives used to make a bottle of olive oil, the more flavorful the oil, and no company buys more kalamata olives than Zorba’s Olive Oil. Therefore, when you buy Zorba’s Olive Oil, you’re buying the most flavorful olive oil available today.

The reasoning presented in the advertisement is flawed because it overlooks the possibility that:

A. Not all of Zorba’s competitors use kalamata olives in their oil.
B. Zorba’s sells more olive oil than any other company.
C. The most flavorful olive oil is not necessarily the best olive oil.
D. Because of bulk discounts, Zorba’s pays less per kilogram of kalamata olives than does its competitors.
E. The number of kalamata olives harvested every year is far less than the number of Spanish olives harvested every year.

_________________

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 12
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.26
Re: Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 23:34
can someone please explain the reasoning behind this??
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 660
Location: India
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Apr 2017, 00:51
POE is the best way to reach the answer.
We can easily eliminate 4 option ..
For B , my reasoning.
If a company sells more oil than any other oil company..There is chances the production is more for the particular company..So it will require more olive than any other company...
Let's company A - 100 oil packets
B- 10 oil packets

For 1 oil packet let say it take 1 unit of olives..

So A will require 100 unit
In order to produce same flavour of oil as A is producing ,B will require only 10 unit..
So flavour of oil will be same for company A and B although quantity purchased is high for A.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by sobby on 20 Apr 2017, 00:10.
Last edited by sobby on 20 Apr 2017, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 147
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Apr 2017, 00:48
amanchowdhary wrote:
can someone please explain the reasoning behind this??


The argument makes a scope shift that "buying more kalamata olives" to "most flavorful olive oil". To note, the advertiser does not inform that "more kalmata leaves" are used in same proportion, in comparison with the competitor's offerings, of Zorba’s Olive Oil. That is where the flaw comes in... for instance if Zorba’s Olive Oil is selling more than its competitor, then its obvious that they will be "buying more kalmate leaves".

C, D and E are completely out of scope and A works against the premise presented. Select B.

Since, flaw and assumptions are two sides of the same coin, you can also use Denial test/negation and recheck.

Cheers !! :-D
_________________

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.


Originally posted by godot53 on 20 Apr 2017, 00:42.
Last edited by godot53 on 20 Apr 2017, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 147
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 00:47
sobby wrote:
For c , my reasoning.
If a company sells more oil than any other oil company..There is chances the production is more for the particular company..So it will require more olive than any other company...
Let's company A - 100 oil packets
B- 10 oil packets

For 1 oil packet let say it take 1 unit of olives..

So A will require 100 unit
In order to produce same flavour of oil as A is producing ,B will require only 10 unit..
So flavour of oil will be same for company A and B although quantity purchased is high for A.


You don't require such far stretched reasoning for C. Just note that C is is about what constitutes the "best Olive oil", while the conclusion is about what is "most flavorful olive oil". So, C is out of scope.. eliminate.
_________________

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 14 Nov 2014
Posts: 660
Location: India
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 00:50
godot53 wrote:
sobby wrote:
For c , my reasoning.
If a company sells more oil than any other oil company..There is chances the production is more for the particular company..So it will require more olive than any other company...
Let's company A - 100 oil packets
B- 10 oil packets

For 1 oil packet let say it take 1 unit of olives..

So A will require 100 unit
In order to produce same flavour of oil as A is producing ,B will require only 10 unit..
So flavour of oil will be same for company A and B although quantity purchased is high for A.


You don't require such far stretched reasoning for C. Just note that C is is about what constitutes the "best Olive oil", while the conclusion is about what is "most flavorful olive oil". So, C is out of scope.. eliminate.


I mean Answer is B ...typo in post....i gave explanation for B ...
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2717
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 15:44
oh looks so simple but not so simple after all..
if I am a trader that buys a lot of olive oils, that doesn't mean I put those olives in my bottles.
I can sell the olives to someone else, and make an even greater profit than I would use them to make oil...so B seems a good answer...
I have seen such patterns with sunflower oil in the past years... sunflower seeds price was greater than the price for sunflower oil; the process of obtaining the oil involves additional costs...
so yeah...I will go with B.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jun 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 23:12
expert plz reply with explanation
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 24 Nov 2014
Posts: 228
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 10:36
1
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Source: McGraw Hill GMAT

Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata olives. The more kalamata olives used to make a bottle of olive oil, the more flavorful the oil, and no company buys more kalamata olives than Zorba’s Olive Oil. Therefore, when you buy Zorba’s Olive Oil, you’re buying the most flavorful olive oil available today.

The reasoning presented in the advertisement is flawed because it overlooks the possibility that:

A. Not all of Zorba’s competitors use kalamata olives in their oil.
B. Zorba’s sells more olive oil than any other company.
C. The most flavorful olive oil is not necessarily the best olive oil.
D. Because of bulk discounts, Zorba’s pays less per kilogram of kalamata olives than does its competitors.
E. The number of kalamata olives harvested every year is far less than the number of Spanish olives harvested every year.


This argument is meant to support the following conclusion:

- When you buy Zorba’s Olive Oil, you’re buying the most flavorful olive oil available today.

The conclusion is supported by the following premises:

- The more kalamata olives used to make a bottle of olive oil, the more flavorful the oil.

- Zorba's buys more kalamata olives than are bought by any other company.

What's missing? The argument goes from the fact that Zorba's buys the most kalamata olives to the conclusion that Zorba's oil is the most flavorful. To get from the fact that Zorba's buys the most kalamata olives to the conclusion, you have to assume that Zorba's not only buys the most kalamata olives but also USES THE MOST KALAMATA OLIVES PER BOTTLE OF OIL.

Does the argument ever say that Zorba's actually uses the most kalamata olives per bottle of oil? No.

Now, let's consider the choices.

(A) Incorrect. Since what this choice says is in line with what the argument says about Zorba's oil versus other companies' oil, it does not highlight a flaw in the argument.

(B) Correct. This choice highlights the flaw in the argument. Zorba's buys the most kalamata olives, but that it does does not mean that it uses the most kalamata olives per bottle. The reason for Zorba's buying so many kalamata olives could be simply that Zorba's makes the most olive oil, in which case, it may use fewer kalamata olives per bottle of oil even thought it buys more olives. So this choice brings up what the argument has overlooked.

(C) Incorrect. The argument is not about the best olive oil, but rather about the most flavorful. So, even if this statement were true, it would not affect the argument.

(D) Incorrect. The logic of the argument is focused solely on how many olives Zorba's buys and the effect of using so many olives in making the olive oil. The cost of the olives does not affect that logic.

(E) Incorrect. The relative sizes of harvests of various types of olive do not affect how many kalamata olives Zorba's uses per bottle. Regardless of the harvest size, Zorba's buys more kalamata olives than does any other company.
_________________

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Re: Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli &nbs [#permalink] 11 Jul 2018, 10:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advertisement: The most flavorful olives in the world are kalamata oli

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.