GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 21:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:00) correct 26% (01:20) wrong based on 408 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fights into Plainsville airport disturb their sleep and should be sharply reduced in number. This complaint is completely unreasonable—there have been night flights coming into the airport from the very begining, twenty years ago, and these residents should have taken that fact into account when buying their homes.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the airport argument depends?

(A) There are fewer night flights now than there were originally
(B) The residents who are complaining have been in their current homes fewer than twenty years
(C) The residents who are complaining are ignoring the benefits they gain from he presence of the airport
(D) The economic success of the airport depends entirely on the existence of the night flights
(E) People buying houses in Plainville all avoid buying houses near the airport if they can

Rgds,
TGC!

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 22:02
TGC wrote:
Airport official:Local residents have been complaining that night fights into Plainsville airport disturb their sleep and should be sharply reduced in number.This complaint is completely unreasonable--there have been night flights coming into the airport from the very begining,twenty years ago,and these residents should have taken that fact into account when buying their homes.
A There are fewer night flights now than there were originally
B The residents who are complaining have been in their current homes fewer than twenty years
C The residents who are complaining are ignoring the benefits they gain from he presence of the airport
D The economic success of the airport depends entirely on the existence of the night flights
E People buying houses in Plainsville all avoid buying houses near the airport if they can

So the officials are saying that night flights have been coming since the beginning i.e. 20 yrs ago. So people should not have bought houses here if night flights were disruptive to their sleep. But they are assuming that people bought houses in the last 20 years when they knew about the night flights. What if people had actually bought the houses more than 20 yrs ago? Airport officials have no answer for them. They are assuming that everyone who is complaining had bought his/her house less than 20 yrs ago. Hence (B) is an assumption.

Option (E) only says that people who buy houses near the airport have no choice - they just can't avoid buying near the airport - could be for whatever reasons - lower prices, higher availability etc. The point is that they knew before buying that they are compromising by taking next to the airport. They pay for what they get. After getting the house, they cannot complain of the night flights (perhaps because of which the price they paid was lower). No matter what their reason was for buying the house close to the airport, if they did, they knew that sleep will get disturbed. So now they cannot cry about the disturbance. Hence officials are not answerable to people who had no choice but had to buy near the airport. So (E) is not an assumption.

Karishma

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

General Discussion
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 21:22
Although I marked it correctly as (B), I am not sure how (E) could be rejected.

Anyone?

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2014, 01:25
TGC wrote:
Airport official:Local residents have been complaining that night fights into Plainsville airport disturb their sleep and should be sharply reduced in number.This complaint is completely unreasonable--there have been night flights coming into the airport from the very begining,twenty years ago,and these residents should have taken that fact into account when buying their homes.
B The residents who are complaining have been in their current homes fewer than twenty years
C The residents who are complaining are ignoring the benefits they gain from he presence of the airport
D The economic success of the airport depends entirely on the existence of the night flights
E People buying houses in Plainville all avoid buying houses near the airport if they can

A good test to check if the option we have picked is correct is the Negation test. Accordingly we would just have to negate the option and check if the negated version destroys the conclusion. If it does, then the reversed form is the best answer.
So let us try the negation with the options B and E.
In B we could read it as The residents who are complaining have not been in their current homes fewer than twenty years. If that is true then the conclusion would be destroyed because it ocnveys the meaning that they were probably longer than twenty years in their homes in which case they could not have taken into account the sound when buying the homes. The whole argument gets destroyed with the introduction of the not. .Hence this option is correct.
In Option E if we introduce the not it reads People buying houses in Planville will not avoid buying houses near the airport if they can. After negating the option the version does nothing to the conclusion. It says that people cant help themselves from buying houses near the airport. So is that the assumption? the assumption has to deal with the time period houses bought before 20 years andduring 20 years. The negation test when applied to E does nothing to the conclusion. Hence E is incorrect.

Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:info@manyagroup.com
T: 1800-102-4646
http://www.manyagroup.com

http://goo.gl/hpmXBk

MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 14:09
New GMAT Club Project of reviving hardest questions! Post answers and explanations to get kudos

Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fights into Plainsville airport disturb their sleep and should be sharply reduced in number.This complaint is completely unreasonable--there have been night flights coming into the airport from the very begining,twenty years ago,and these residents should have taken that fact into account when buying their homes.

E People buying houses in Plainville all avoid buying houses near the airport if they can

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 10:22
Initially got this wrong, but I see the correct answer now.

The premise is that residents in Plainville complain that the night flights are loud and disturb their sleep. The airport responds by saying home-buyers should have picked location more carefully and that the complaints are unreasonable.
What is the assumption?

A There are fewer night flights now than there were originally--irrelevant (maybe strengthens the argument)
B The residents who are complaining have been in their current homes fewer than twenty years--correct (the airport officials are assuming that people bought homes locally after the airport was built, but if we negate this we see that perhaps the airport was built after the homes were bought and thus, locals did not have have much choice in location of their homes)
C The residents who are complaining are ignoring the benefits they gain from he presence of the airport--irrelevant and out of scope (has nothing to do with the argument)
D The economic success of the airport depends entirely on the existence of the night flights--again irrelevant and out of scope (again has nothing to do with the argument)
E People buying houses in Plainville all avoid buying houses near the airport if they can--initially picked this, but it doesn't seem so relevant after understanding B (this would be more of a weakener, if anything) again irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Dec 2014, 10:48
ya.... since the people should have catered the problem which occured, since 20 years ago, therefore the houses must have been bought after that.....
answer is "b"....

Originally posted by semwal on 06 Dec 2014, 10:45.
Last edited by semwal on 06 Dec 2014, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 16:07
Karishma, can u check if my approach is right. Chose B correctly and applied negation test.

(B) Residents have been living less than 20 years.

If residents lived more than 20 years, then their complaints were justifiable. Destroyed the official's argument (which stated that complaints are unreasonable as the people living in their homes should have thought about the problem at the time of buying the house).

(E) People avoid buying houses near the airport if they can.

If people willingly buy near airport, then it is their fault and they can't complain. This did not destroy the argument of the official.
It, I guess, strengthened it. So, (E) is wrong.

{I have a notion I am not applying this test correctly to (E). I got the question right and I am sure about it. But this worries me}

Thanks.
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 20:30
gmathopeful90 wrote:
Karishma, can u check if my approach is right. Chose B correctly and applied negation test.

(B) Residents have been living less than 20 years.

If residents lived more than 20 years, then their complaints were justifiable. Destroyed the official's argument (which stated that complaints are unreasonable as the people living in their homes should have thought about the problem at the time of buying the house).

(E) People avoid buying houses near the airport if they can.

If people willingly buy near airport, then it is their fault and they can't complain. This did not destroy the argument of the official.
It, I guess, strengthened it. So, (E) is wrong.

{I have a notion I am not applying this test correctly to (E). I got the question right and I am sure about it. But this worries me}

Thanks.

Actually, your analysis is absolutely correct. Check out my explanation for (E) given above. Essentially, the two are the same.

Karishma

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2015, 00:02
Thanks K !!! You're a life saver :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 08:46
souvik101990 wrote:
New GMAT Club Project of reviving hardest questions! Post answers and explanations to get kudos

Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fights into Plainsville airport disturb their sleep and should be sharply reduced in number.This complaint is completely unreasonable--there have been night flights coming into the airport from the very begining,twenty years ago,and these residents should have taken that fact into account when buying their homes.

Dear Experts,

Please throw some light on why option B is better than Option E.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 00:54
The argument provides a reason for residents not to complain: these night flights have been going on for 20 years, so residents had ample warning. However, this falls apart if residents actually moved in more than 20 years ago. This makes B a necessary assumption.

E is not needed. We don't need to know what all residents do. Maybe some people like living under the flight path. That's not a problem. We just need to know that those who are complaining had a chance to avoid the situation. If anything, E would weaken the argument. By saying that people avoid buying near the airport if they can, it implies that the people complaining could not help buying their houses where they did, so knowing about the problem would have made no difference.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 01:11
DmitryFarber wrote:
The argument provides a reason for residents not to complain: these night flights have been going on for 20 years, so residents had ample warning. However, this falls apart if residents actually moved in more than 20 years ago. This makes B a necessary assumption.

E is not needed. We don't need to know what all residents do. Maybe some people like living under the flight path. That's not a problem. We just need to know that those who are complaining had a chance to avoid the situation. If anything, E would weaken the argument. By saying that people avoid buying near the airport if they can, it implies that the people complaining could not help buying their houses where they did, so knowing about the problem would have made no difference.

Thanks for the Explanation Dmitry Farber

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Director
Director
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 14:11
Negation technique would work best for this problem
mainly confusion is between choices B and E
option E provides us a effect that is occurring because of night flights whereas option B is a unstated premise that the residents have been living for less than 20 years.
If we negate option B then the conclusion falls apart and hence is the correct option
Director
Director
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 14:11
option E provides us a effect that is occurring because of night flights whereas option B is a unstated premise that the residents have been living for less than 20 years.
If we negate option B then the conclusion falls apart and hence is the correct option
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 03:57
rhine29388 wrote:

Thanks for the Input by the way whats the Conclusion here.

Richa Champion | My GMAT Journey - 470 720 740

Target 760+

Not Improving after Multiple attempts. I can guide You.
Contact me richacrunch2@gmail.com

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 06:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fig &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 06:48

Airport official: Local residents have been complaining that night fig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap