GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 00:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 05:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (00:58) correct 74% (02:08) wrong based on 134 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced and always contain caffeine. Most teas and some coffees include guarana, but most teas don’t include caffeine. Taurine is found in most teas, but never in a beverage that includes milk or caffeine. Most coffees and teas include milk.

IF the statements are true, all the following must be true EXCEPT

A. Some teas include taurine but not caffeine

B. Some teas or some coffees are served iced with milk.

C. Some teas include guarana but not caffeine.

D. Some teas don’t include caffeine but include milk.

E. No coffee includes taurine.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Re: All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 22:57
This one is clearly debatable.
Looking at the three statements below :
-All teas are served hot or iced
-Most coffees are served hot or iced
-Most coffees and teas include milk

Some teas or some coffees are served iced with milk.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q38 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V32
GPA: 3.55
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 01:24
Interesting that I got this wrong. Doesn't really make sense to me how the tea can't be served iced with milk.. where did you get this question?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 07:36
Well I myself am confused with the question as well as the explanation. I came across this question in 800score.com tests. Below is the URL to the explanation.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107586189951749654312/August232015#6186215222661020610
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 08:22
ayan5409 wrote:
All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced and always contain caffeine. Most teas and some coffees include guarana, but most teas don’t include caffeine. Taurine is found in most teas, but never in a beverage that includes milk or caffeine. Most coffees and teas include milk.

Let's look at B: The text says: "All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced". That's the only thing in the text about iced coffee\tea. Because it says hot or iced, B doesn't have to be true. It's possible that both coffee and tea are always served hot.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 23:42
Hello,

I think this is a difficult inference question. I have not seen such a question in ANY of official resources. Number of components involved are high making it difficult.

Lets go back to question. In such questions it is helpful to draw a flow chart/table to easily remember things (specially when the terms sound bit unusual). I have attached the image of analysis.

INCORRECT.

It is mentioned that most teas do not contain Caffeine. That means some teas contain caffeine but it is not known that there are any teas that contain taurine but not caffeine.

CORRECT.

All teas and coffees are Iced as per argument and most teas/coffees contain milk. Hence we can certainly say that at least "Some teas or some coffees are served iced with milk"

INCORRECT

Analyze yourself as I have done for answer choice A

INCORRECT

INCORRECT.

No information about this.

Hope it helps!

"Please hit +1 kudos, if the explanation is helpful to you"
Attachments

Untitled22.png
Untitled22.png [ 7.4 KiB | Viewed 1544 times ]

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 15:44
aks456 wrote:
ayan5409 wrote:

Can someone please post the explanation please ?

Hi there!

As per the question we must validate all the statement choices but one to reach the right answer.

A. Some teas include taurine but not caffeine >>> This is true since more than 50% of the teas (most of them) have taurine but taurine is never present in a beverage that contains caffeine.
B. Some teas or some coffees are served iced with milk. >>> This is false. It says that some teas are served iced with milk but from the statement even though we know that more than 50% (most) of teas and coffees include milk we only know that all of the teas are served hot or iced but we don't know the proportion (maybe 55% are served hot and 45% are iced and those iced may or may not have milk). And the same applies for the coffes, we only know that more than 50% of them are served hot or ice but we don't know the proportion of hot vs. iced. So this is the right answer choice!!!
C. Some teas include guarana but not caffeine. >>> This is also true since most teas include guarana and most teas don't include caffeine guaranteeing that at least some some include guarana but not caffeine. We are sure of this because two sets that include more than 50% of the sample have to overlap at some point.
D. Some teas don’t include caffeine but include milk. >>> This is also true since most teas don't include caffeine and most teas include milk this means that at least some of them don't include caffeine but contain milk. This is also secured by overlapping two sets that include more than 50% of a sample.
E. No coffee includes taurine. >>> This is true since coffees always contain caffeine and taurine is never found in a beverage that includes milk or caffeine.

My take away for this type of questions is that to discard an answer choice if you are able to to assure the statement as per the information given then it is true otherwise is false and in this case, the right answer. choice.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 21:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced a &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 21:06

All teas are served hot or iced. Most coffees are served hot or iced a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap