It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to loca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

Re: Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to loca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 23:55
pavankarwa123 wrote:
dominicraj wrote:

The "although" which starts the clause refers to the subject "New York's small museums" hence the clause that follows after comma has to carry something to do with the subject.

For E.g. Although the hurricane was headed our way last night, early this morning it turned north and missed Florida completely.

Since the clasue that follows has a different subject we cant use "although". Hence both A and B are out straight away. " But " is used for contrast which is unnecessary here. So C is out.

HI dominicraj
Are you sure that A is incorrect only due to the reason remarked above?

Even if the above is not the reason, (A) can be struck off due to parallelism error - are devoted to either local history or various ethnic groups.

And in (B), we don't have any Verb + Object in the main Clause.

Would love to hear whether the reason, as remarked by you, is the only one to eliminate incorrect ones.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Pawan,

I dont see how either/or should be wrong. Either X or Y is the corect idiom.

Obejct is the receiver of the action from the subject. In the sectence "Although X are denoted(verb) to Y"".

IMO the "although" kills both the options since something of contrast to the main subject has to follow.

Reagards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 39

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 14

Re: Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to loca [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2015, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
A: Incorrect because "Although" indicates a future contrast or differentiation. The second part of the sentence merely provides more information.
B: Incorrect because the clause does not include the idiom "either x or y".
C. Conjunction "but" indicates a contrast or differentiation.
D. No Errors
E. Incorrect modifier.

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 14

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5505 [2], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2015, 23:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Shreks1190 wrote:
Can someone please explain the idea behind eliminating "A"?
Thanks

Hi,
the reason for eliminating A is parallelism in "either.... or ....."

Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are
it should be either" devoted to local history or devoted to various ethnic groups,...
or "devoted to either local history or various ethnic groups...
hope it helps

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5505 [2], given: 112

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS
Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to the Bronx that are open for exploration on summer weekends.

(A) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are
(B) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups,
(C) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, but there are
(D) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, and there are also
(E) Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, dozens of New York’s small museums and also

(A) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are

correct Idiom is ---either x or y

either devoted ( verb ) ------or ----various ethnic group ( noun ) ------not ||

sentence start with " although " ( refers contrast ) ----while the 2nd part of the sentence is the additional information of the first part , therefore use of contrast word " although " is wrong

(B) Although dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups,

sentence start with " although " ( refers contrast ) ----while the 2nd part of the sentence is the additional information of the first part , therefore use of contrast word " although " is wrong

after , ( comma ) second part starts with -----many one of kind ............( awkward)

(C) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, but there are

use of ---but (contrast word ) is wrong

(D) Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, and there are also

Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups----independent clause 1

there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to the Bronx that are open for exploration on summer weekends.-----independent clause 2

and -----correctly connect 2 part

concept ----to connect 2 Independent clause -------use Semi colon ( ; )

or

if semi colon is not there we can use , ( comma ) but needs to add word such as ---for , and , not, but or, yet , so

Independent clause 1 , and Independent clause 2 -----correctly connected

(E) Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, dozens of New York’s small museums and also

Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups ......... verb -ed modifier modify the dozens ( wrong ) . it should modify ( small museums )

correct answer D

Kudos [?]: 20 [1], given: 9

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 68

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 23:02
egmat wrote:
H there,

Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to the Bronx that are open for exploration on summer weekends.

In New York there are dozens of small museums that are devoted to either local history or various ethnic groups. In addition, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to Bronx that can be explored on summer weekends.

One thing we really need to pay heed is that there is no apparent contrast in this sentence. The first past of the sentence talks about the museums that are devoted to certain specific fields. The other part of the sentence is also providing some extra information. The information contained in the second part of the sentence is not contrasting information. Therefore, we do not need contrast in this sentence.

Error Analysis

1. Since there is no apparent contrast in this sentence, we do not need “Although”.
2. Either is followed by “devoted to local history” whereas or is followed by “various ethnic groups”. These two entities re not parallel.

POE:

Choice A: Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B:
Although dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups,: Incorrect.
1. “Although” is not needed.
2. There is no main verb in the sentence. This leads to a fragment.

Choice C: Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, but there are: Incorrect. “but” brings in the unnecessary contrast in the sentence. We do not need the contrast.

Choice D: Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, and there are also: Correct.

Choice E: Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, dozens of New York’s small museums and also: Incorrect. There is no main verb in the sentence. This leads to fragment.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

How are we to identify whether the question does really intend a contrast or not?

Though I chose option D (quite hesitatingly), I didn't eliminate other options for contrast issue. I was held up between C and D.

Any help would be appreciated :|

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 68

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 00:37
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:

How are we to identify whether the question does really intend a contrast or not?

Though I chose option D (quite hesitatingly), I didn't eliminate other options for contrast issue. I was held up between C and D.

Any help would be appreciated :|

let me give it a shot :)

In this case, the second part of the sentence is talking about the museums that are open on Weekends.
Had it been the case that the first part talked about museums that are closed on the weekends, we would have needed a contrast.
But in this case, the first part just gives us some information and the second part some additional information, hence we would have look for the answer that does not have a contrast in it.

Does it help?

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 05:59
sreehari1250 wrote:
45. Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to the Bronx that are open for exploration on summer weekends.

why was the answer C wrong ???

I may not completely agree with the OA, because " and.. also" seems redundant
Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, andthere are also"

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 21:40
egmat wrote:
H there,

In New York there are dozens of small museums that are devoted to either local history or various ethnic groups. In addition, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to Bronx that can be explored on summer weekends.

One thing we really need to pay heed is that there is no apparent contrast in this sentence. The first past of the sentence talks about the museums that are devoted to certain specific fields. The other part of the sentence is also providing some extra information. The information contained in the second part of the sentence is not contrasting information. Therefore, we do not need contrast in this sentence.

Error Analysis

1. Since there is no apparent contrast in this sentence, we do not need “Although”.
2. Either is followed by “devoted to local history” whereas or is followed by “various ethnic groups”. These two entities re not parallel.

POE:

Choice A: Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B:
Although dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups,: Incorrect.
1. “Although” is not needed.
2. There is no main verb in the sentence. This leads to a fragment.

Choice C: Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, but there are: Incorrect. “but” brings in the unnecessary contrast in the sentence. We do not need the contrast.

Choice D: Dozens of New York’s small museums are devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, and there are also: Correct.

Choice E: Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, dozens of New York’s small museums and also: Incorrect. There is no main verb in the sentence. This leads to fragment.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Although I agree that A, B, C, and E are incorrect, I believe that D is not a good answer as well.
first thing - we do not need contrast - as the contrast is completely illogical here (read full question before you answer it)
second - "there" is used to show place - New York. but NY is written in possessive form.
in D - same thing - possessive form, so it cannot be used unless it is some kind of "placeholder" which makes the sentence wordier.
and + also - isn't it redundant? why do we need also if we use and? isn't what egmat teaches in its SC lessons?

would be thankful for an explanation here.

rgds,

V

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 184

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 12:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 23:47
D.. as there is no need of contrast here.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 00:16
Although and but signal contrasting opinion. however, statement doesn't signal any contrast. A,B, and C are wrong.

E - IMO, applies 'Devoted to local history or various ethnic groups' to both devoted and one-of-kind museums.

Correct is D but I also think ';there are many' is more justified than ', and' structure here.

Still grammar wise it's correct and that's more imp ;)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2016, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
sreehari1250 wrote:
45. Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to local history or various ethnic groups, there are many one-of-a-kind museums from Manhattan to the Bronx that are open for exploration on summer weekends.

why was the answer C wrong ???

(E) is clearly wrong.

(A) (B) and (C) are out. Reason: There is absolutely no reason to signal contrast. Words like "Although" or "but" should not be used.

Leaves us with the answer (D)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1], given: 79

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2016, 23:29
D is the correct option.

Contrast keywords such as "although and but" doesn't seem to be necessary in this case since the second part is a continuation rather than a contrast to the first part.

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 139

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 01:57
Reading the sentence, we realise that there is NO contrast provided any where in the sentence and hence the use of "although" & "but" is useless ...

So option A, B and C are out ...

Option E : is a run on sentence ...there is no verb for the main clause "devoted to local history ...."

Left with only option D which is correct ...
This option is simply saying that :
There are dozens of X type of museums and there are also Y types of museums that open for exploration ....

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 198

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 19:24

OA is D

But as far as gmat is concerned and - also are redundant. Then how come option D is correct?
Plz explain.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 37

Re: Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to loca   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 19:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Although dozens of New York’s small museums are either devoted to loca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap