GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 01:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary anim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary anim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 05:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:01) correct 45% (01:01) wrong based on 335 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.

(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills

(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills

(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West

(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills.

(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary anim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2012, 02:45
jitgoel wrote:
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups that occupy the same territory for long periods.
(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills.
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills

The meaning of the original sentence has a contrast - Films of AW depicts Coyotes as solitary animals, but in reality coyotes live in stable groups.
Lets split and see
1. Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills, Dependent Clause
2. in reality these gregarious creatures live in stable groups. Independent clause.
3. that occupy the same territory for long periods. - Here that refers to groups. Dependent clause.

Here all dependent clauses are connected properly with IC with the help of "," and "that" (acts as subject for the 3rd clause).
All SV pairs are in agreement.
ing-modifier correctly modifying animals.
these refers to coyotes, no pronoun error
Meaning is clear

Now comes POE:
(A) films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills. Correct as it is.
(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills. The subject of the action is missing. We don't know who is doing the action of "depict". Moreover a passive construction & Unidiomatic expression "depicted to be".
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West. The subject of the action is missing. We don't know who is doing the action of "depict"
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills. as-if changes the meaning and" , ing modifier" tends to modify the preceding clause
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills. Usage of and changes meaning, unidiomatic usage :depicted to be"

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Re: Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary anim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2012, 15:54
I am a little confused about the subject in the first half of the sentence. If the subject is "films", then the second half of the sentence is referring to the coyotes. I think the tricky part of this question is the first sentence can start with either films or coyotes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - on tops of distant hills in films is ambiguous - films depicted coyotes howling in films
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - wrong placement of the comma, mournfully howling animals is now describing solitary
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2012, 02:12
jitgoel wrote:

It is better to think "..films depict X as something, in reality these(X) live in...... "

Moreover, in C coyotes are depicted where? In films about American West. But this choice keeps a big gap between these two parts.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2012, 03:18
Wwdrok1 wrote:
I am a little confused about the subject in the first half of the sentence. If the subject is "films", then the second half of the sentence is referring to the coyotes. I think the tricky part of this question is the first sentence can start with either films or coyotes. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

(B) in films about the American West coyotes are depicted to be solitary animals that howl mournfully on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be
(C) coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films about the American West - on tops of distant hills in films is ambiguous - films depicted coyotes howling in films
(D) films about the American West depict coyotes as if they were solitary, mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - wrong placement of the comma, mournfully howling animals is now describing solitary
(E) films about the American West depict coyotes to be solitary and mournfully howling animals on the tops of distant hills - depicted as, not depicted to be

Why Not 'B' is it some idiom which says "Depcited as not Depicted to be" from the sentence it reflect that "In films .... parallel to in Reality" is this will not work.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2012, 20:21
jitgoel wrote:
[quote="Wwdrok1"
Why Not 'B' is it some idiom which says "Depcited as not Depicted to be" from the sentence it reflect that "In films .... parallel to in Reality" is this will not work.

You are right. Depicted As is the correct idiom for the GMAT. I don't think Depicted To Be is an idiom tested by the GMAT.
So only use depicted as in the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 22:11
The main confusion is between option A and Option C.

Below is my understanding.

- It clearly says that films are the ones which depict coyotes as animals howling on distant hills

- It illogically says that coyotes are depicted as XYZ..on tops of hills in films

Therefore, the option C has a very different meaning, which clearly help Option A outweigh option C .

Hope I was clear in explaining.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 03:26
Hi Experts,
In this question , i am confused with option C. Can you please tell me why my reasoning is wrong,
In second IC , we have "these gregarious creature as a subject" so in first clause we should have " coyotes " as the subject but instead we have films as the subject
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary anim  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 11:25
guptakashish02 wrote:
Hi Experts,
In this question , i am confused with option C. Can you please tell me why my reasoning is wrong,
In second IC , we have "these gregarious creature as a subject" so in first clause we should have " coyotes " as the subject but instead we have films as the subject

I'm not quite sure that I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot!

Are you suggesting that in a sentence with two clauses, the subjects of the two clauses must match? If so, that certainly isn't true. There's absolutely nothing with having two different subjects of two different clauses in the same sentence.

As others have mentioned above, there are all sorts of other problems with (C). For starters, the phrase "coyotes are depicted as solitary animals howling mournfully on the tops of distant hills in films..." seems to be saying that the coyotes actually howl in the films themselves. And that's not the point: the sentence is trying to say that the films depict the coyotes as howling mournfully in general -- not that the coyotes actually howl in the films. And there's no good reason to use passive voice in (C) when there's a better, more active alternative in (A).

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary anim &nbs [#permalink] 24 Sep 2018, 11:25

Although films about the American West depict coyotes as solitary anim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap