Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618894 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [2]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Send PM
Although many video games are situated in fantasy worlds quite unlike [#permalink]
Kudos
Kunal760 wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:
+1 for E.

A. that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do --> Conjunction required

B. who embark on careers, just like real people, to get married and have children of their own

C. who, just like real people, begin to embark on careers; they also get married, having children of their own

D. who embark on careers, just like real people getting married, and have children of their own

E. who, just like real people, embark on careers, get married, and have children of their own --> Correct, 'like' is used to compare nouns, conjunction 'and' before last element makes the meaning clear

Hence, E.

can you explain indetail why B is wrong?

Kunal760

Option B distorts the intended meaning of the sentence completely.

who embark on careers 'TO GET MARRIED AND HAVE CHILDREN' --> Meaning -> the sole purpose of their career is to get married and have children, now that's absurd much :shocked

Hope it helps :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 474
Send PM
Re: Although many video games are situated in fantasy worlds quite unlike [#permalink]
In option 1. Is "that" used incorrectly to refer others human characters ?

Would it be a correct version of option 1
that embark on careers, get marrie and have their own children, just as real people do.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Send PM
Re: Although many video games are situated in fantasy worlds quite unlike [#permalink]
Kudos
Manas1212 wrote:
In option 1. Is "that" used incorrectly to refer others human characters ?

Manas1212
A. that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do

The use of 'that' here is incorrect, it creates ambiguity. As per option A, 'that' refers to human characters, but if you go for intended meaning of the sentence, 'who' does it better than 'that'

Manas1212 wrote:
Would it be a correct version of option 1
that embark on careers, get marrie and have their own children, just as real people do.

Posted from my mobile device

Still a NO

Hope it helps :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Although many video games are situated in fantasy worlds quite unlike our own, others feature human characters that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do.

A. that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do : "that" in gmat should not be used to refer to the people in general. "who" fits in perfectly when you want to refer to people. However, don't discard this option unless you find a better choice

B. who embark on careers, just like real people, to get married and have children of their own : Here, the meaning of the original sentence is distorted or modified. This choice implies that the characters embark on careers "to get married and have children". This can be striked out.

C. who, just like real people, begin to embark on careers; they also get married, having children of their own : Look at the sentence (or a clause) before the semicolon. It is incomplete. It just says who begin to emark on careers. Strike it out since this choice is grammatically incorrect.

D. who embark on careers, just like real people getting married, and have children of their own : Again, the meaning of the sentence is not very clear. It seems that the comparison is between people who embark on careers with people getting married. Strike out the choice.

E. who, just like real people, embark on careers, get married, and have children of their own - Good Choice. The meaning of the original sentence kept as is and no grammatical errors are evident.

Hence, the answer choice is E.

Thanks !
Consider giving me Kudos,if you find my response helpful
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Although many video games are situated in fantasy worlds quite unlike [#permalink]
Kudos
Although many video games are situated in fantasy worlds quite unlike our own, others feature human characters that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do.

Meaning: Although many video games are based on fictional concept, other video games are based on real world concepts in which the characters, like real people, embark on careers, get married, and have children of their own.

Errors:
1) who should be used for human characters instead of that
2) embark on careers, get married, have their own children is the list of things the characters in the video games do....it should be correctly written with "and" between 2nd and 3rd activity: embark on careers, get married, and have their own children
3) modifier "just as real people do" is incorrectly placed and incorrectly worded. correct modifier should be "just like real people" and should be placed near human characters.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
shahsuhailp wrote:

Meaning: Although many video games are based on fictional concept, other video games are based on real world concepts in which the characters, like real people, embark on careers, get married, and have children of their own.

Errors:
1) who should be used for human characters instead of that
2) embark on careers, get married, have their own children is the list of things the characters in the video games do....it should be correctly written with "and" between 2nd and 3rd activity: embark on careers, get married, and have their own children
3) modifier "just as real people do" is incorrectly placed and incorrectly worded. correct modifier should be "just like real people" and should be placed near human characters.

Answer: E

I disagree with your explanation for choosing E. Just as real people do is absolutely correct and a recurring sentence structure in many GMAT questions. 'As' can be used with noun+verb which converts it into a noun phrase and can very well fit at the end of the sentence. Your explanation shows that you judged this option by how it sounded which is not the best approach.

I need expert inputs on use of that and who here. Who is used to refer to people, not fictional characters. When we say human characters, we mean fictional beings, not humans. Then why is A incorrect? Can someone explain this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do

B. who embark on careers, just like real people, to get married and have children of their own

C. who, just like real people, begin to embark on careers; they also get married, having children of their own

D. who embark on careers, just like real people getting married, and have children of their own

E. who, just like real people, embark on careers, get married, and have children of their own

We are not talking about humans but human characters of certain video games, which are completely virtual, so why are we using 'who' here?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Stanindaw

We use WHO for any entity that is getting treated like a person. (I kept THAT in the previous sentence because it was still abstract. ;) ) An author would say "I want to create characters to whom [not "to which"] my readers will relate." Also, in the question at hand, we are talking about what the characters do within the fictional world of the game. I would never say "The book is about a lonely professor THAT dreams of adventure."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts