GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 00:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2009, 16:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:33) correct 46% (01:30) wrong based on 1026 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than

I thought when comparing two things or a statistic, using less than was correct
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 16:36
pikolo2510 "Less" compares amounts or extents:

I am paid less for editing than for writing.
There is less wine in my glass than in yours.
I find smokers less attractive than non-smokers.

"Lower" compares two numbers or measurements:

I am paid at a lower rate for editing than for writing. (Here, we're comparing my rate of pay, as opposed to the amount of money I get.)
The level of wine in the bottle got steadily lower.
The number of smokers is lower than the number of non-smokers.

In this question, we're comparing sums (amounts), so "lower" is appropriate.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2011, 04:18
So dollars, miles, and hours are some examples of the UNIT NOUNS...right??

Also correct me if I am wrong in the following:

Greater than: Used only when comparing numbers alone. ( Six is greater than Five)
More than: Used when comparing number of objects. ( 600 pens are more than 500 pens)
Higher than: Used for physical entities.

Less than: Used with UNCOUNTABLE except for the above UNIT NOUNS exception.
Fewer than: Used with COUNTABLE nouns
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2009, 17:14
I will go with C

lower than is correct in this case , also amounts is wrong so A and E are out\
B - out uses less than
D out uses a dramatically lower sum than

Always tag your question

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2009, 17:30
Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than that spent by tobacco companies, many believe that the government should allocate no more funds to a battle they perceive as pointless.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than

I think expediture is countable, so 'lower than' instead of 'less than' .

C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2011, 01:42

OA is C. I know that this question has been discussed earlier, but I wanted a comprehensive answer...

I know that lower is used for countable nouns and less is used for uncountable nouns. But, I read in an MGMAT answer explanation that there are three exceptions to this rule. The three are: money, distance, and time.

You say "I got less than twenty dollars", not "I got fewer than twenty dollars".

On the other hand, you say "I got lower percentage than him". You don't use "less percentage"
I read somewhere that lower and higher is used for physical entities.

I am a bit confused between 'lower than vs less than vs fewer than'. Similarly with higher than vs. more than vs. greater than.
Could somebody clarify this please?
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 00:32
Hi GMATNinja / mikemcgarry

Hope you are doing good :-)

Can you help the explain the difference between "less than" and "lower than"

Any concept / dope will be really helpful to understand the usage difference. Thanks

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 02:11
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Oct 2017, 05:20
gmatter0913 wrote:

OA is C. I know that this question has been discussed earlier, but I wanted a comprehensive answer...

I know that lower is used for countable nouns and less is used for uncountable nouns. But, I read in an MGMAT answer explanation that there are three exceptions to this rule. The three are: money, distance, and time.

You say "I got less than twenty dollars", not "I got fewer than twenty dollars".

On the other hand, you say "I got lower percentage than him". You don't use "less percentage"
I read somewhere that lower and higher is used for physical entities.

I am a bit confused between 'lower than vs less than vs fewer than'. Similarly with higher than vs. more than vs. greater than.
Could somebody clarify this please?

I was also confused between 'lower than vs less than vs fewer than'. Similarly with higher than vs. more than vs. greater than.

If anyone has still a confusion regarding the above usages, please follow this link below, (detailed explanation by MikemcGarry in Magoosh Blog)

1. https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-grammar-less-vs-fewer/
2. https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-comparisons-more-vs-greater-and-less-vs-fewer/

Originally posted by aceGMAT21 on 12 Oct 2017, 23:04.
Last edited by aceGMAT21 on 19 Oct 2017, 05:20, edited 2 times in total.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 01:15
bipolarbear wrote:

I thought when comparing two things or a statistic, using less than was correct

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Expenditures is plural so its verb (originally amounts) needs to be plural as well. Eliminate (A) and (E). Scan for differences among the remaining choices: should the sum be less than or lower than? Lower than is right; less is only correct when it refers to something that can't be counted (less legislation but lower sums). That leaves (C) and (D). Should the choice begin expenditures on law suits or law suit expenditures? The second is unclear and unidiomatic in this context so axe it and you're left with (C).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 22:34
// This qustion requires understanding of multiple concepts such as:
1. Use superlative degree for comparison.
2. Subject Verb agreement.
3. Logical meaning.

(A) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than// Wrong: Violates Rule SVA by using amounts for expenditures//
(B) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically less than// Wrong: Violates Rule 1 by using less than for comparison//
(C) expenditures on law suits involving tobacco companies amount to a sum dramatically lower than// Correct: Rule 1 correct, Rule 2 correct and intended meaning i also correct//
(D) law suit expenditures regarding tobacco companies amount to a dramatically lower sum than// Intended meaning is wrong//
(E) law suit expenditures against tobacco companies amounts to a sum dramatically lower than// Wrong: SVA violation//

Hope this helps...
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 22:34

Although the government's expenditures on law suits involving tobacco

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap