Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [14]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [2]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [3]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Among the numerous techniques for building political alliances, the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arro44 wrote:
I narrowed down the answer choices to A & B but was not able to identify the parallel structure correctly and thus went for B.
I don't think that you made a mistake in identifying the parallel elements there.

This question:
... the most widely practiced method has been to form a grassroots campaign and then, despite the numerous logistical challenges, activate the network ahead of election day.

An official question (this one):
... the most extensively used method has been to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them in the wall in mud mortar.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Among the numerous techniques for building political alliances, the [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
Arro44 wrote:
I narrowed down the answer choices to A & B but was not able to identify the parallel structure correctly and thus went for B.
I don't think that you made a mistake in identifying the parallel elements there.

This question:
... the most widely practiced method has been to form a grassroots campaign and then, despite the numerous logistical challenges, activate the network ahead of election day.

An official question (this one):
... the most extensively used method has been to form the mud or clay into bricks, and, after some preliminary air drying or sun drying, to lay them in the wall in mud mortar.

Thank you for that insight, although I am now slightly confused regarding the original question/answer choice

Does the OA still hold after the comparison to an OG question with a similar structure but different answer?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4658 [1]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arro44 wrote:
Thank you for that insight, although I am now slightly confused regarding the original question/answer choice

Does the OA still hold after the comparison to an OG question with a similar structure but different answer?
That's a tough one, but I wouldn't say that A/B is an unfair split. The person who made this question took a certain call, and that's fine.

What I am sure about, however, is that you (and anyone else who picked B) applied parallelism correctly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Send PM
AjiteshArun, very interesting take. Thanks for sharing and thanks for posting that OG question that is, ~dare I say,~ parallel to this one ;)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja can you please help with finding the truth? It really does seem that both A and B are correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V14
Send PM
can anyone please explain why "ing" form is incorrect with present perfect continuous....? and "to form is correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
GMATNinja
I am slightly confused now. From the OG reference by AjiteshArun it seems that B is the correct answer and the official answer is A. This is wierd.
Which one should we choose in the exam?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
vsatyen wrote:
GMATNinja
I am slightly confused now. From the OG reference by AjiteshArun it seems that B is the correct answer and the official answer is A. This is wierd.

This question was created by a test prep company. OG questions used to be official questions. Always proceed with caution with prep company's questions. Always treat OG questions as if they were official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
MikeScarn wrote:
MikeScarn wrote:
Among the numerous techniques for building political alliances, the most widely practiced method has been to form a grassroots campaign and then, despite the numerous logistical challenges, activate the network ahead of election day.

(A) to form a grassroots campaign and then, despite the numerous logistical challenges, activate

(B) to form a grassroots campaign and then, despite the numerous logistical challenges, to activate

(C) forming a grassroots campaign and then, despite the numerous logistical challenges, activating

(D) forming a grassroots campaign and then, activate, despite the numerous logistical challenges,

(E) to form a grassroots campaign and then, activating, despite the numerous logistical challenges,

Split #1: to form vs forming

In our non-underlined portion, we have the present perfect verb "has been", so we are talking about something that has been done in the recent past.

"the most widely practiced method has been forming a grassroots campaign and then, ...." - This is illogical.
Eliminate (C) and (D)

Split #2: activate vs to activate vs activating

If we strip out some of the modifiers to make the sentence shorter, we can compare our verb forms easier.

(E) "the most widely practiced method has been to form X and then, activating the network ahead of election day."

(E)'s verb forms are not parallel. Eliminate.

Between (A) and (B)

We have a parallel structure, so there is no need to use "to" again.

"the most widely practiced method has been to form X and then, (to) activate Y."

Therefore we can eliminate (B).

This is a very difficult question in my opinion.

can you please explain the split 1
why can't we use gerund after present perfect verb?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Nidheesha wrote:

can you please explain the split 1
why can't we use gerund after present perfect verb?

We need the infinitive "to form" from a meaning perspective.

If we use "forming," it reads "the most widely practiced method has been forming a grassroots campaign and then...."

This is literally saying that the method has been forming a grassroots campaign.

Meaning: The method started forming a grassroots campaign and it is still forming a grassroots campaign into the present.

This is not our intended meaning. We want to explain that the method has been to form a grassroots campaign.

The method is to form a grassroots campaign. The method is not itself forming a grassroots campaign.

Does this make any sense at all? I'm struggling to clearly explain it using text.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Hi in option A & Option B, can anyone tell me when to use "To" after end and when not to use "TO" to make the structure parallel.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
MikeScarn wrote:
vsatyen wrote:
GMATNinja

This question was created by a test prep company. OG questions used to be official questions. Always proceed with caution with prep company's questions. Always treat OG questions as if they were official GMAT questions.

Instead of worrying about this one, you might want to check out this official question that has some similar features.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts