Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 05:53 It is currently 06 May 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Pronounsx   Punctuationx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20752 [530]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15282 [340]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14680 [63]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
BillyZ wrote:
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Africa, dance teams represent their own chief at the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.

(A) the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for

(B) the court of another and provide entertainment in return for

(C) the court of the other, so as to provide entertainment as a return on

(D) each other's court, entertainment being provided in return for

(E) another's court and provide entertainment as a return on

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of the sentence is that dance teams represent their own chief at the court of another chief and also provide entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• "one another” and “another” are used to refer to more than two elements, and “each other” and “the other” are used to refer to two elements.
• The introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “providing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

A: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “providing…lodging”; the use of the present participle (“verb+ing” – “providing” in this sentence) after a comma incorrectly implies that the dance teams provide entertainment because they represent their own chief at the court of another chief; the intended meaning is that the dance teams represent their own chief at the court of another chief and, as a separate action, provide entertainment; please remember, introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “providing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the idiomatic construction “each other” to refer to more than two elements - the dance teams' own chief and all other chiefs; please remember "one another” and “another” are used to refer to more than two elements, and “each other” is used to refer to two elements.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “and provide entertainment”; the use of “and” conveys the intended meaning – that the dance teams represent their own chief at the court of another chief and, as a separate action, provide entertainment. Further, Option B correctly uses the idiomatic construction “another” to refer to more than two elements, the dance teams' own chief and all other chiefs. Additionally, Option B is free of any awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “so as to provide entertainment”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the dance teams represent their own chief at the court of another for the purpose of providing entertainment; the intended meaning is that the dance teams represent their own chief at the court of another and as a separate action provide entertainment. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the idiomatic construction “the other” to refer to more than two elements - the dance teams' own chief and all other chiefs; please remember "one another” and “another” are used to refer to more than two elements, and “the other” is used to refer to two elements. Additionally, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase “as a return on”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “entertainment being provided”; the use of the present participle (“verb+ing” – “being” in this sentence) after a comma incorrectly implies that the dance teams provide entertainment because they represent their own chief at the court of another chief; the intended meaning is that the dance teams represent their own chief at the court of another chief and, as a separate action, provide entertainment; please remember, introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “providing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the idiomatic construction “each other” to refer to more than two elements - the dance teams' own chief and all other chiefs; please remember "one another” and “another” are used to refer to more than two elements, and “each other” is used to refer to two elements.

E: This answer choice uses the passive voice construction “another’s court”, rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase “as a return on”, leading to further awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma + Present Participles for Cause-Effect Relationships" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~3 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63788 [20]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
neptune28 wrote:
It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you.

Agreed!

Lucy Phuong wrote:
Yea the point is that if I had known that "in the court of + .... [chief]" (instead of "in the court of .... [dance teams]", then I would have chosen "another". The core reason is still what is the meaning of "in the court of"??? Can you tell me the phrase's meaning? neptune28. Thanks!

I'm probably too late to be useful here, @Lucy_Phuong, but "court" here refers to the domain of a king or chief or other ruler. So in (B), "dance teams represent their own chief in the court of another" means that the dance teams are going to another chief's... "kingdom", I guess, in exchange for food and lodging.

And if it helps at all, I can't think of a single official GMAT question that mentions the courts of chiefs, so don't lose too much sleep over the vocabulary here. :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63788 [15]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Received a really interesting question about this one on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread, and figured I'd post it here, just in case it helps anybody:

Quote:
Could you please help me explain more the usage of "each other", "another" and "the other" in this official question?

Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Africa, dance teams represent their own chief at the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.

I have read the OG explanation, as well as explanation for this question from this thread https://gmatclub.com/forum/among-the-ts ... 41546.html but I'm not quite sure whether I understand exactly their difference.

Here is what I think:

1. There are only 2 definite objects or people in a group. If 1 object is already mentioned, "the other" will be used to refer to the second object. On the other hand, when there are more than 2 objects, "another" will be used to refer to any other objects in this group.

2. "each other" is used when there are at least 2 objects or people in a group.
For example:
My friend, Nicole and I exchanged gifts with each other last Christmas
Our group exchanged gifts with each other last Christmas
However, I can't distinguish between the usage of "each other" and "another" because it seems to me that "another" can be used to replace "each other" in "our group" example above

Please correct me. Thank you very much!

I'm not sure that you’ll ever see this particular issue again in an actual GMAT question, but it’s oddly interesting. My first instinct was that your explanations were spot-on, and it took me a while to figure out what was missing.

You’re right that the term “each other” would be used when there are at least 2 objects or people in a group. But the thing you’re missing is that “each other” suggests that everybody in the group is performing the same, reciprocal action. Using your examples:

“My friend, Nicole and I exchanged gifts with each other last Christmas.” – You and Nicole BOTH perform the action of exchanging gifts.
    “[Everybody in] our group exchanged gifts with each other last Christmas.” – EVERYBODY in the group performs the action of exchanging gifts.

Back to answer choice (A) from the OG question:

Quote:

(A) doesn’t quite make sense. “Each other” has to refer to “dance teams”, right? So then the sentence seems to say that dance teams represent their own chief at the court of other dance teams. And that’s pretty weird: have you ever heard of a dance team with its own royal court?

(Speaking as a veteran of quite a few dance companies: we were lucky if the dance company had its own dressing room, let alone a royal court. Once, I had to change costumes 17 times during a single show – and had to do the costume changes in a hallway. I am not making this up. There were also some very interesting wardrobe malfunctions on opening night, but you really don't want to hear about my accidental moments of near-nudity in front of live audiences…)

Anyway, (B) seems clearer: “another” can now refer to a chief, instead of a dance team. So now that makes sense: “dance teams represent their own chief at the court of another chief.” Nice.

And (C) is odd, too: “the other” suggests that there’s only one other chief, or one other dance team. Neither of those quite work: “dance teams represent their own chief at the court of the other chief…”? Which other chief? Or if it’s “dance teams represent their own chief at the court of the other dance team”, that’s still weird: which other dance team are we talking about?

So for that reason, (B) seems to be the best of the three.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [14]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Lucy Phuong wrote:
What happened to me is that initially I thought "another"/"each other" refered to [another/ each other dance team]. That's why I was confused between A and B. I think the reason might be I don't understand intended meaning of the sentence. To speak explicitly, I don't understand meaning of "in the court of", thus not knowing that it should take "chief", rather than "dance teams" as its object.

Could me help explain this phrase? Thank you.

It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you. ;) Basically, the sentence is stating that multiple dance teams represent each chief. But is that really the intended meaning? It makes more sense that only one dance team would represent each chief. So, I think it would be clearer if the sentence read: "a dance team represents its own chief at the court of another" or else "dance teams represent their own chiefs at the courts of other chiefs."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [9]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This was pretty tricky. B is the best answer.

C and E contain the unidiomatic "as a return on."

A and D contain "each other," which is awkward in this sentence. Why? Well, we don't know how many chiefs are involved here. When there are multiple entities, I believe it's better to use "one another." In either case, you would need to use "courts," though, instead of the singular "court." For instance, you would say, "Ginger and Mary Ann wore each other's hats" rather than "Ginger and Mary Ann wore each other's hat," because there would be at least two hats involved.

B uses "the court of another [chief]," making it clear that only 2 chiefs are being referred to, and is pretty straightforward.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [8]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Dear expert GMATNinja, can you please elaborate on how to decide between (A) and (B)? In other words, how does "each other" differ from "another" in this sentence?
Thank you.

I think the main difference between A and B is in how the sentence is written.
providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.
this seems to modify the preceding clause when clearly the intent is to specify an action that the dance tribes did in return for hosting them.
the way the sentence is written simple says that dance tribes will do that anyways . Verb-ing clauses are used to express the result of the preceding action or present additional information.
IMO this is not right. Hence B is the right choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 603 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks

- ", providing" sets up a modifier. In other words, "represent" would be the major action/verb here, and "providing..." would be subordinate. This is incorrect.

- the dance teams do 2 things: 1) represent their own chief; and 2) provide entertainment

- "return on" is incorrect. should be "in return for"

- "being" in the middle of the sentence makes it awkward and shows poor sentence construction.

- same as "C"
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65126 [6]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sarjaria84 wrote:
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 796
Page: 706

Hi daagh AjiteshArun mikemcgarry VeritasKarishma

I am now confused after reading few answers, which mention that the usage of 'providing' as a Verb + 'ing' is incorrect in option 'A'. However, I think the usage is correct as 'providing' modifies the verb 'represent' in the previous clause and tells us about some additional information, as in the teams 'represent' their chiefs and provide entertainment in return for food and other things.

Is there a gap in my understanding here?

Thanks
Saurabh

Saurabh, "providing" in option (A) is not correct. "represent" and "provide" need to be independent verbs. "providing" does not explain "represent". They don't represent their chiefs by providing entertainment. They represent their chiefs and provide entertainment.

Look at a simpler example:
I will read the text and will write its summary. (Two independent actions of reading and writing) - Correct
I will read the text, writing its summary. (writing its summary doesn't explain reading the text so writing should not be a modifier) - Not correct
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15282 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos