It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:16) correct 39% (01:12) wrong based on 1447 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 796
Page:

Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Africa, dance teams represent their own chief at the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.

(A) the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for
(B) the court of another and provide entertainment in return for
(C) the court of the other, so as to provide entertainment as a return on
(D) each other's court, entertainment being provided in return for
(E) another's court and provide entertainment as a return on
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
This was pretty tricky. B is the best answer.

C and E contain the unidiomatic "as a return on."

A and D contain "each other," which is awkward in this sentence. Why? Well, we don't know how many chiefs are involved here. When there are multiple entities, I believe it's better to use "one another." In either case, you would need to use "courts," though, instead of the singular "court." For instance, you would say, "Ginger and Mary Ann wore each other's hats" rather than "Ginger and Mary Ann wore each other's hat," because there would be at least two hats involved.

B uses "the court of another [chief]," making it clear that only 2 chiefs are being referred to, and is pretty straightforward.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 21:22
This post received
KUDOS
Dear expert GMATNinja, can you please elaborate on how to decide between (A) and (B)? In other words, how does "each other" differ from "another" in this sentence?
Thank you.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 00:37
This post received
KUDOS
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Dear expert GMATNinja, can you please elaborate on how to decide between (A) and (B)? In other words, how does "each other" differ from "another" in this sentence?
Thank you.

I think the main difference between A and B is in how the sentence is written.
providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.
this seems to modify the preceding clause when clearly the intent is to specify an action that the dance tribes did in return for hosting them.
the way the sentence is written simple says that dance tribes will do that anyways . Verb-ing clauses are used to express the result of the preceding action or present additional information.
IMO this is not right. Hence B is the right choice.
Expert Post
20 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

"Each Other" is used when the whole group performs an act mutually.
The attendants shook hands with each other...... "The attendants" is a group.

"Another" is used when an individual/individuals of the group is/are referred to.
The captain shook hands with another (captain)... "The captain" is an individual.

Here you would notice that an individual is referred to, not a group: "their chief" is an individual. Hence "another" is correct. The intended meaning is:
The dance teams represented their own chief in the court of another chief.

Hence B is correct.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
sayantanc2k wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

"Another" is used when an individual/individuals of the group is/are referred to.
The captain shook hands with another (captain)... "The captain" is an individual.

Here you would notice that an individual is referred to, not a group: "their chief" is an individual. Hence "another" is correct. The intended meaning is:

Hence B is correct.

Very nice explanation, expert sayantanc2k. +1 kudos to you.

What happened to me is that initially I thought "another"/"each other" refered to [another/ each other dance team]. That's why I was confused between A and B. I think the reason might be I don't understand intended meaning of the sentence. To speak explicitly, I don't understand meaning of "in the court of", thus not knowing that it should take "chief", rather than "dance teams" as its object.

Could you help explain this phrase? Thank you.

Last edited by Lucy Phuong on 31 May 2017, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
Lucy Phuong wrote:
What happened to me is that initially I thought "another"/"each other" refered to [another/ each other dance team]. That's why I was confused between A and B. I think the reason might be I don't understand intended meaning of the sentence. To speak explicitly, I don't understand meaning of "in the court of", thus not knowing that it should take "chief", rather than "dance teams" as its object.

Could me help explain this phrase? Thank you.

It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you. ;) Basically, the sentence is stating that multiple dance teams represent each chief. But is that really the intended meaning? It makes more sense that only one dance team would represent each chief. So, I think it would be clearer if the sentence read: "a dance team represents its own chief at the court of another" or else "dance teams represent their own chiefs at the courts of other chiefs."
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 08:19
neptune28 wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:

Could me help explain this phrase? Thank you.

It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you. ;) Basically, the sentence is stating that multiple dance teams represent each chief. But is that really the intended meaning? It makes more sense that only one dance team would represent each chief. So, I think it would be clearer if the sentence read: "a dance team represents its own chief at the court of another" or else "dance teams represent their own chiefs at the courts of other chiefs."

Thanks. +1kudos
Yea the point is that if I had known that "in the court of + .... [chief]" (instead of "in the court of .... [dance teams]", then I would have chosen "another". The core reason is still what is the meaning of "in the court of"??? Can you tell me the phrase's meaning? neptune28. Thanks!
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
neptune28 wrote:
It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you.

Agreed!

Lucy Phuong wrote:
Yea the point is that if I had known that "in the court of + .... [chief]" (instead of "in the court of .... [dance teams]", then I would have chosen "another". The core reason is still what is the meaning of "in the court of"??? Can you tell me the phrase's meaning? neptune28. Thanks!

I'm probably too late to be useful here, @Lucy_Phuong, but "court" here refers to the domain of a king or chief or other ruler. So in (B), "dance teams represent their own chief in the court of another" means that the dance teams are going to another chief's... "kingdom", I guess, in exchange for food and lodging.

And if it helps at all, I can't think of a single official GMAT question that mentions the courts of chiefs, so don't lose too much sleep over the vocabulary here. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
neptune28 wrote:
It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you.

Agreed!

Lucy Phuong wrote:

I'm probably too late to be useful here, @Lucy_Phuong, but "court" here refers to the domain of a king or chief or other ruler. So in (B), "dance teams represent their own chief in the court of another" means that the dance teams are going to another chief's... "kingdom", I guess, in exchange for food and lodging.

And if it helps at all, I can't think of a single official GMAT question that mentions the courts of chiefs, so don't lose too much sleep over the vocabulary here. :)

Thank you for answering my question :D
1 kudos to you!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 22:17
option A & B both are correct grammatically any meaning wise, though, meaning differs.Here is my analysis

Option A - dance teams represent their chief at the court of other dance teams in order to perform in return for food etc

option B says- dance teams do 2 things: represent their chief at the court of another chief and perform in return for food etc

Kindly let me know why we are choosing B over A
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 22:04
sayantanc2k wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

Hence B is correct.

Isnt 'another' quite vague? Shouldnt 'other' be better suited for referring to the dance team? Thanks.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 06:27
OreoShake wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

Hence B is correct.

Isnt 'another' quite vague? Shouldnt 'other' be better suited for referring to the dance team? Thanks.

"Another" literally is the word "other" with an indefinite preposition "an" before, i.e. "an + other". Here including the indefinite preposition "an" is preferred since the other team is not a definite one. Hence "another" is better than just "other".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 11:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Africa, dance teams represent their own chief at the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.

- ", providing" sets up a modifier. In other words, "represent" would be the major action/verb here, and "providing..." would be subordinate. This is incorrect.

- the dance teams do 2 things: 1) represent their own chief; and 2) provide entertainment

- "return on" is incorrect. should be "in return for"

- "being" in the middle of the sentence makes it awkward and shows poor sentence construction.

- same as "C"

Kudos please if helpful :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 03:08
I will go for B because 'each other' in option A would include itself too but as per the meaning of the sentence it should be 'another'.

Kudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 01:30
hazelnut wrote:

Hi

Even If we are confused in the first part, before comma, of underlined options and are unable to find the correct version ... we can still use other things to find the answer

1. There should be //ism since dance team does 2 things as intended from meaning : represent and provide
Search for this and we would get Option B and E.

2. The proper use of RETURN here is : WE GET SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR SOMETHING and not AS A RETURN ON
dancers got food...in return for entertainment...so between B and E...and is B

Hope this helps

Regards
S
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2017, 01:30

Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap