GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 09:00

Starting NOW:

MBA Chat - How to Craft Career Goals/answer Why MBA Question. Join HERE

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 19:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:46) correct 38% (01:13) wrong based on 2404 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 796
Page: 706

Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Africa, dance teams represent their own chief at the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.

(A) the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for

(B) the court of another and provide entertainment in return for

(C) the court of the other, so as to provide entertainment as a return on

(D) each other's court, entertainment being provided in return for

(E) another's court and provide entertainment as a return on

The Tsonga

(A) Pronoun / Meaning (each other)

(B) CORRECT

(C) Pronoun / Meaning (the other); Idiom (as a return on)

(D) Pronoun / Meaning (each other’s; being provided)

(E) Idiom (as a return on)

First glance

The first three choices start with the court of (someone), while the other two pull the “someone” in front of the word court. Whose court is it? Check the meaning as you read.

Issues

(1) Pronoun / Meaning: each other; the other; each other’s

The original sentence mentions the court of each other. The term each other implies that the sentence is talking about two or more people who have been previously mentioned, but the only plural grouping already mentioned is the dance teams.

Logically, the dance teams don’t have courts; rather, the chiefs do. The sentence, though, mentions only their own chief, not plural chiefs, so each other cannot refer back to the sole chief. Eliminate choices (A) and (D) for this faulty pronoun usage.

Choice (C) uses the other, indicating just one other chief. Earlier in the sentence, though, a group of tribes is mentioned, implying that there may be many other chiefs, not just one. Which is it? Eliminate choice (C) for creating ambiguity in the meaning.

(2) Idiom: as a return on
Meaning: being provided

The latter part of each answer choice changes significantly. Compare this whole “chunk” of text:

(A) …providing entertainment in return for

(B) …and provide entertainment in return for

(C) …so as to provide entertainment as a return on

(D) …entertainment being provided in return for

(E) …and provide entertainment as a return on

What jumps out at you first? There’s a choice between in return for and as a return on at the end.

Both expressions exist in the language, but they mean different things. You might do X in return for Y; that is, in exchange for you doing X, someone else did (or gave you) Y. Alternatively, you could, for example, earn X as a return on your investment in Y; that is, you invest in Y, and you gain X as your return. Which meaning matches the sentence about the Tsonga?

The Tsonga provide entertainment in exchange for food, drink, and lodging; they are not investing in something in the hopes of gaining a return. Eliminate choices (C) and (E) for using an idiom illogically in this sentence.

As you are examining this “chunk” of the sentence, you may also spot another issue. Answer (D) says entertainment being provided. Who is providing the entertainment? Presumably the visiting dance teams provide the entertainment? Or perhaps people at the other court provide entertainment for the visiting dance teams? The sentence doesn’t actually say; eliminate choice (D) for introducing ambiguity.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) uses the court of another to make clear that people are visiting the court of another chief, without limiting the meaning to imply that only one other chief exists (as trap answer (C) does). The correct answer also uses the logical idiom for the intended meaning: the dance teams provide entertainment in return for certain benefits.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 02:48
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Dear expert GMATNinja, can you please elaborate on how to decide between (A) and (B)? In other words, how does "each other" differ from "another" in this sentence?
Thank you.

"Each Other" is used when the whole group performs an act mutually.
The attendants shook hands with each other...... "The attendants" is a group.

"Another" is used when an individual/individuals of the group is/are referred to.
The captain shook hands with another (captain)... "The captain" is an individual.

Here you would notice that an individual is referred to, not a group: "their chief" is an individual. Hence "another" is correct. The intended meaning is:
The dance teams represented their own chief in the court of another chief.

Hence B is correct.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 20:31
This was pretty tricky. B is the best answer.

C and E contain the unidiomatic "as a return on."

A and D contain "each other," which is awkward in this sentence. Why? Well, we don't know how many chiefs are involved here. When there are multiple entities, I believe it's better to use "one another." In either case, you would need to use "courts," though, instead of the singular "court." For instance, you would say, "Ginger and Mary Ann wore each other's hats" rather than "Ginger and Mary Ann wore each other's hat," because there would be at least two hats involved.

B uses "the court of another [chief]," making it clear that only 2 chiefs are being referred to, and is pretty straightforward.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 22:22
Dear expert GMATNinja, can you please elaborate on how to decide between (A) and (B)? In other words, how does "each other" differ from "another" in this sentence?
Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 01:37
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

I think the main difference between A and B is in how the sentence is written.
providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.
this seems to modify the preceding clause when clearly the intent is to specify an action that the dance tribes did in return for hosting them.
the way the sentence is written simple says that dance tribes will do that anyways . Verb-ing clauses are used to express the result of the preceding action or present additional information.
IMO this is not right. Hence B is the right choice.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 May 2017, 09:09
sayantanc2k wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

"Another" is used when an individual/individuals of the group is/are referred to.
The captain shook hands with another (captain)... "The captain" is an individual.

Here you would notice that an individual is referred to, not a group: "their chief" is an individual. Hence "another" is correct. The intended meaning is:

Hence B is correct.

Very nice explanation, expert sayantanc2k. +1 kudos to you.

What happened to me is that initially I thought "another"/"each other" refered to [another/ each other dance team]. That's why I was confused between A and B. I think the reason might be I don't understand intended meaning of the sentence. To speak explicitly, I don't understand meaning of "in the court of", thus not knowing that it should take "chief", rather than "dance teams" as its object.

Could you help explain this phrase? Thank you.

Originally posted by Lucy Phuong on 30 May 2017, 06:01.
Last edited by Lucy Phuong on 31 May 2017, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 12:45
Lucy Phuong wrote:
What happened to me is that initially I thought "another"/"each other" refered to [another/ each other dance team]. That's why I was confused between A and B. I think the reason might be I don't understand intended meaning of the sentence. To speak explicitly, I don't understand meaning of "in the court of", thus not knowing that it should take "chief", rather than "dance teams" as its object.

Could me help explain this phrase? Thank you.

It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you. ;) Basically, the sentence is stating that multiple dance teams represent each chief. But is that really the intended meaning? It makes more sense that only one dance team would represent each chief. So, I think it would be clearer if the sentence read: "a dance team represents its own chief at the court of another" or else "dance teams represent their own chiefs at the courts of other chiefs."
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 09:19
neptune28 wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:

Could me help explain this phrase? Thank you.

It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you. ;) Basically, the sentence is stating that multiple dance teams represent each chief. But is that really the intended meaning? It makes more sense that only one dance team would represent each chief. So, I think it would be clearer if the sentence read: "a dance team represents its own chief at the court of another" or else "dance teams represent their own chiefs at the courts of other chiefs."

Thanks. +1kudos
Yea the point is that if I had known that "in the court of + .... [chief]" (instead of "in the court of .... [dance teams]", then I would have chosen "another". The core reason is still what is the meaning of "in the court of"??? Can you tell me the phrase's meaning? neptune28. Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 16:31
neptune28 wrote:
It's a goofy sentence, but that's the GMAT for you.

Agreed!

Lucy Phuong wrote:
Yea the point is that if I had known that "in the court of + .... [chief]" (instead of "in the court of .... [dance teams]", then I would have chosen "another". The core reason is still what is the meaning of "in the court of"??? Can you tell me the phrase's meaning? neptune28. Thanks!

I'm probably too late to be useful here, @Lucy_Phuong, but "court" here refers to the domain of a king or chief or other ruler. So in (B), "dance teams represent their own chief in the court of another" means that the dance teams are going to another chief's... "kingdom", I guess, in exchange for food and lodging.

And if it helps at all, I can't think of a single official GMAT question that mentions the courts of chiefs, so don't lose too much sleep over the vocabulary here. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 23:17
option A & B both are correct grammatically any meaning wise, though, meaning differs.Here is my analysis

Option A - dance teams represent their chief at the court of other dance teams in order to perform in return for food etc

option B says- dance teams do 2 things: represent their chief at the court of another chief and perform in return for food etc

Kindly let me know why we are choosing B over A
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 23:04
sayantanc2k wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

Hence B is correct.

Isnt 'another' quite vague? Shouldnt 'other' be better suited for referring to the dance team? Thanks.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 07:27
OreoShake wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Thank you.

Hence B is correct.

Isnt 'another' quite vague? Shouldnt 'other' be better suited for referring to the dance team? Thanks.

"Another" literally is the word "other" with an indefinite preposition "an" before, i.e. "an + other". Here including the indefinite preposition "an" is preferred since the other team is not a definite one. Hence "another" is better than just "other".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 12:37
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Africa, dance teams represent their own chief at the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.

- ", providing" sets up a modifier. In other words, "represent" would be the major action/verb here, and "providing..." would be subordinate. This is incorrect.

- the dance teams do 2 things: 1) represent their own chief; and 2) provide entertainment

- "return on" is incorrect. should be "in return for"

- "being" in the middle of the sentence makes it awkward and shows poor sentence construction.

- same as "C"

Kudos please if helpful :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 04:08
I will go for B because 'each other' in option A would include itself too but as per the meaning of the sentence it should be 'another'.

Kudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 02:30
hazelnut wrote:

Hi

Even If we are confused in the first part, before comma, of underlined options and are unable to find the correct version ... we can still use other things to find the answer

1. There should be //ism since dance team does 2 things as intended from meaning : represent and provide
Search for this and we would get Option B and E.

2. The proper use of RETURN here is : WE GET SOMETHING IN RETURN FOR SOMETHING and not AS A RETURN ON
dancers got food...in return for entertainment...so between B and E...and is B

Hope this helps

Regards
S
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 06:28

(C) the court of the others, so as to provide entertainment as a return on

Let’s look at options A and D
the court of each other [D: each other's court], providing entertainment in return for [D: entertainment being provided in return for; this is passive voice]
Between A and D – A is preferred

Let’s look at option C
the court of the others, so as to provide entertainment as a return on

so as to (used for showing intention or purpose); while the intention is to get food in return
correct version should be
the court of the others, so as to get food in return of entertainment
this eliminates C
IMP: USE just ‘to’ in place of ‘so as to’
IMP: DON’T USE ‘to’ in place of ‘so + adverb/adjective + as to’
Also, this option has ‘a return on’ phrasing, which is wrong discussed below.

Let’s look at option E
another's court and provide entertainment as a return on

‘in return for X’ and ‘a return on X’ mean different
He lends in return for interest and original principal amount
He earns interest as a return on original principal amount

Now between A and B

providing entertainment – means the teams (dance teams) are providing entertainment

see this

The dance performed in the competition, providing entertainment in return for some prize (cash prize)

This is typical modifier question type situation --- can in the above sentence, the verb+ing modifier is a result of the preceding clause – performance leads to providing entertainment
Which is very correct

But our situation is different

Presenting the chief --- leads to --- providing entertainment
I don’t think

Author wants to say two events happen in parallel
The team teams present the chief and provide entertainment

Is better than A abased on the above

The quick feedback in that

When to select a modifier clause (the verb+ing clause is a result of the preceding clause) vs. a parallel clause (two events are parallel and independent)

Finally,

Final NOTE:

At the courts of each other
At the court of another
At the courts of others

Other/others is always plural
Another (another, one additional, one more) is singular

This also makes B correct
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 03:57
Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Africa, dance teams represent their own chief at the court of each other, providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging.[/quote]

We need "return for", and not "return on". C and E are out.

"represent X and provide Y" are parallel.

We need "another and not "each other" to show that we are dealing with two different groups.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 06:57
Besides the use of "each other", what wrong with saying "providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging" in (A)?
Providing entertainment ... the dance team represent their own chief
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 07:28
lary301254M7 wrote:
Besides the use of "each other", what wrong with saying "providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging" in (A)?
Providing entertainment ... the dance team represent their own chief

When you are saying "providing entertainment in return for food, drink, and lodging." this is a verb-ing modifies .It is after a ',' . So it is modifying prior sentence. Look at the verb of that part. its 'represent'. Lets figure out the meaning now. you are actually saying just by representing they are providing entertainment. Only this much is wrong about this sentence. :D

As I saw 'and' in B, i figured out the parallelism in it and there you go. B is the correct choice. Hope it helped.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 17:14
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a look at this question, one problem at a time, and determine which option is the best one! There are many ways to attack this question, but let's focus on the quickest way to get to the correct answer!

To get started, here is the original question with any major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

Right away, we can see two major differences between each option:

1. How they begin (refer to only two tribes / refer to many tribes)
2. How they end (in return for / as a return for / as a return on)

There are other differences, but these two are the easiest to spot and deal with quickly. To begin, let's tackle #1 on our list: how each option begins. The Tsonga is a group of several tribes, with each tribe having its own dance team. Each tribe is able to visit any other tribe it wants, and then provide entertainment to gain access to food, drink, and lodging.

However, some of the options below make it sound like there are only 2 tribes who send dance troupes to each other, rather than all of the tribes being able to visit any other tribe. So let's take a look at each option, and rule out any that are unclear or sound like only 2 tribes are involved:

This is wrong because saying "each other" means we're only talking about 2 tribes visiting each other, instead of one tribe visiting any other tribe it wants.

This is okay because "another" means the dance troupe can visit any of the other troupes, not just one.

This is wrong because "the other" suggests there is only one other tribe they can travel to, which isn't true.

This is wrong because "each other's" suggests the 2 tribes always trade dance troupes, which isn't always the case.

This is okay because "another's court" means the dance troupe can visit any of the other tribes it wants, not just one.

We can eliminate options A, C, and D because they incorrectly state there are only 2 tribes involved in this behavior, not ALL of the tribes!

Now that we're left with only options B and E to choose from, let's try #2 on our list: their endings (in return for / as a return on). Whenever we talk about two people or groups exchanging something, we say:

X is doing [insert action here] in exchange for Y
OR
X is doing [insert action here] in return for Y

Let's see which of our remaining options uses this correctly:

This is the CORRECT answer! It's clear that we're talking about several tribes being able to visit any other tribe it wants, and it's clear that they provide entertainment in exchange for / in return for food, drink, and lodging!

This is INCORRECT because it says that the tribe's dance troupe provides entertainment as a return on food, drink, and lodging. This not only sounds awkward, but it also suggests that tribes provide entertainment after they've already been given food, drink, and lodging, which doesn't really make sense.

There you go - option B is the correct answer!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 17:14

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Among the Tsonga, a Bantu-speaking group of tribes in southeastern Afr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap