Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 20:43 It is currently 20 May 2024, 20:43
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32644 [11]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32644 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q85 V83 DI85
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V26
Send PM
An amateur athletic team has the following requirement: "Each athlete [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
SK, it is from DI review. I’ll add the explanation below

­We are waiting... Because I got super far from the OA­
I choose 3 & 5 T_T
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32644 [0]
Send PM
Re: An amateur athletic team has the following requirement: "Each athlete [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Maxsparrow wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
SK, it is from DI review. I’ll add the explanation below

­We are waiting... Because I got super far from the OA­
I choose 3 & 5 T_T

­Maxsparrow
I ahve added the explanation. See if it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65394 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Re: An amateur athletic team has the following requirement: "Each athlete [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

chetan2u wrote:
­
All Data Insight question: TPA [ Official Guide DI Review 2023-24] 
An amateur athletic team has the following requirement: "Each athlete who fails to return to his or her designated room prior to a designated time will be suspended for the next athletic event." The requirement was violated by the team's best athlete on the night before a prominent athletic event.

Assistant Coach A: The only reason to not suspend the athlete is if the athlete broke the requirement because of factors outside the athlete's control. Since that was not the reason, no exception should be made for this athlete.

Assistant Coach B: I know that we would normally punish the athlete with a suspension, but doing so in this case would harm the team. I think we should punish the athlete in another way that would not harm the team.

Select for Supports Assistant Coach A the principle that most strongly supports the reasoning expressed by Assistant Coach A, and select for Supports Assistant Coach B the principle that most strongly supports the reasoning expressed by Assistant Coach B. Make only two selections, one in each column.

Here is how I would solve it:

Requirement: "Each athlete who returns late, will be suspended for the next event."
The requirement was violated by the team's best athlete on the night before a prominent athletic event.

Coach A: The only reason to not suspend the athlete is if the athlete broke the requirement because of factors outside the athlete's control. Since that was not the reason, no exception should be made for this athlete.

He is saying that if the athlete could have adhered to the requirement, then he should be suspended (the designated punishment)
Only exception - Factors beyond his control - say traffic jams or some other disruption

Coach B: I know that we would normally punish the athlete with a suspension, but doing so in this case would harm the team. I think we should punish the athlete in another way that would not harm the team.

He is saying that we should make an exception here since it will harm the team. The desginated punishment should be given only when it doesn't harm the team. ­

We need a general principle for each. Let's look at the options:

Amateur athletic teams should not punish elite team members who break team requirements.

NO one says no punishment. So ignore. 

The punishment of a team member for breaking a team requirement should be based on the likely outcomes for the team rather than the punishment specified for breaking the requirement.

Correct. Coach B does say that the punishment should depend on the impact on the team, not the punishment designated. 

The punishment specified for breaking a team requirement should always be administered in order to ensure that all team members are treated equally

No coach says "specified punishment should always be administered." Coach A also gives an exception. 

If an athlete is reasonably able to fulfill a team requirement, then the punishment specified for breaking the requirement should be administered.

Correct. Coach A says that if the athlete could have fulfilled the requirement, then the desginated punishment should be given. 

If a punishment of a team member specified by a team requirement would harm the team, then the team member should not be punished.

No one says don't punish. Both agree that some punishment must be given.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
MartyMurray GMATNinja - Can you please explain the support assistant A - why is ans not C and is and D?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93351 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1029 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11278 posts