GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 21:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lowe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 19:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:26) correct 44% (01:17) wrong based on 106 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lower than the engine and for higher torque at lower speeds.

A. for both wheel rotation rates lower than the engine and for higher torque
B. for both wheel rotation rates that are lower than that of the engine and for higher torque
C. both for wheel rotation rates lower than that of the engine and for higher torque
D. both the wheels to turn more slowly than that of the engine and the torque to be higher
E. both a rate of wheel rotation lower than the engine and higher torques

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 19:53
+1 for C

Split 1:
Idiom used Both X and Y. X and Y must be parallel.
Only C and D maintain the above I.e., Both for X and for Y
Hence, eliminate A, B, E

Between C and D, option D changes the meaning by bringing in new information. Hence, eliminate D.

Option C is our winner

Posted from my mobile device

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Manager
Manager
B
Re: An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 19:59
C does not have a clear referent for "that"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member CAT Tests
An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 20:16
rahulkashyap wrote:
C does not have a clear referent for "that"

In C, 'that' refers to Rotation rates, same as D.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 20:28
Rates is plural and would thus need "those"

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 20:40
An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lower than the engine and for higher torque at lower speeds.

A. for both wheel rotation rates lower than the engine and for higher torque - both is misplaced

B. for both wheel rotation rates that are lower than that of the engine and for higher torque - same as A and also changes the meaning of the sentence
C. both for wheel rotation rates lower than that of the engine and for higher torque - both X and Y
D. both the wheels to turn more slowly than that of the engine and the torque to be higher - both is correctly used but changes the meaning of the sentence
E. both a rate of wheel rotation lower than the engine and higher torques -both a rate is incorrect and not parallel

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 20:49
rahulkashyap wrote:
Rates is plural and would thus need "those"

Looks like D can be the best possible answer.

I eliminated D because it changed the sentence, but the meaning stays the same.But still I'm not 100% convinced. Let's wait for the OA and OE

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 21:10
chetan2u could you help with this

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Sep 2018, 22:00
Here is a hint guys - Sometime Parallelism need a word to make sure that with what part parallelism starts. if not, multiple such case of parallelism can exist and that makes the whole thing complex. Many gmat OG questions have such options. e.i. I have seen 'That' in many case needed just for this. All I am saying is you can not drop every thing to make sentence concise.

Akash720 - good job at first explanation. Why you think there is a meaning difference between C and D. You should elaborate on these points. How about you try one more time?

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Originally posted by aragonn on 14 Sep 2018, 21:29.
Last edited by aragonn on 14 Sep 2018, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 21:39
aragonn wrote:
Here is a hint guys - Sometime Parallelism need a word to make sure that with what part parallelism starts. if not, multiple such case of parallelism can exist and that makes the whole thing complex. Many gmat OG questions have such options. I have seen 'That' in many case needed just for this. All I am saying is you can not drop every thing to make sentence concise.

Akash720 - good job at first explanation. Why you think there is a meaning difference between C and D. You should elaborate on these points. How about you try one more time?

What exactly is the usage of "that" in the options? I'm not able to understand the usage behind it in this question

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:05
aragonn wrote:

B. for both wheel rotation rates that are lower than that of the engine and for higher torque
C. both for wheel rotation rates lower than that of the engine and for higher torque
D. both the wheels to turn more slowly than that of the engine and the torque to be higher

rahulkashyap..

errors..
1) ALLOW FOR ;- correct idiom is allow for and means plan for .. so the automobiles transmission caters/plans for ...
2) BOTH x AND y :- correct idiom ... x and y should be parallel
3) COMPARISON :- rotation rate of wheel with rotation rate of engine.. THAT stands for rotation rate

C

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:06
aragonn wrote:

Option D is far far away from C to be correct in terms of meaning.

Thanks aragonn

Meaning:
Its clear that an automobile’s transmission allows two things here.
(i) wheel rotation rates lower than that of the engine
(ii) higher torque at lower speeds.

Meaning:
Here the sentence says - "both the wheels turn more slowly", meaning an automobile’s transmission allows only one thing here i.e., "both the wheels to turn more slowly than that of the engine". Both X and Y idiom is not in action here, its talking about both wheels. The second part " the torque to be higher" is something else. Hence not parallel.

Hope this is clear now.

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:14
aragonn wrote:

A, B, and E are out because they are not parallel. C and D perfectly parallel.
D is incorrect because of a major reason that it changes the meaning - both the wheels to turn.. and the torque...
both the wheels to turn more slowly means that the transmission allows 'both wheels of the car' to turn more slowly. This doesn't make sense and definitely changes the intended meaning. Also, allows...for is the correct usage.

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:15
Exactly my friend. Keep your base solid and don't change it unless you have to. I saw you were right at first instance then some how you got distracted. Hope it was a good learning for you.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:17
chetan2u wrote:
aragonn wrote:

rahulkashyap..

errors..
1) ALLOW FOR ;- correct idiom is allow for and means plan for .. so the automobiles transmission caters/plans for ...
2) BOTH x AND y :- correct idiom ... x and y should be parallel
3) COMPARISON :- rotation rate of wheel with rotation rate of engine.. THAT stands for rotation rate

C

Hi chetan2u as far as I know if a plural exists before, in this case "rates", you need a plural pronoun and not a singular - that. Can you please clear this point? There is no "rate" in option c

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:21
for both wheel rotation rates - 1 wheel has one rotation rate at one time, what both have will be plural.
An engine has one rotation rate at one time.
So it is singular. just some twisted meaning.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:29
aragonn wrote:
for both wheel rotation rates - 1 wheel has one rotation rate at one time, what both have will be plural.
An engine has one rotation rate at one time.
So it is singular. just some twisted meaning.

Hi aragonn I understand what the meaning is meant to be. But what I mean is grammatically, to use "that" you need a singular referent previously. We do not have a singular "rate" present in the statement.

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:33
If i understand it correctly, you are saying "Those of engines" is the correct phrase here.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 22:39
That is correct or the other way is if it said "wheel rotation rate" because then "that" would make sense with this singular phrase "rotation rate"

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 19:56

Official Explanation

A question about an automobile’s transmission system.

Split #1: idiom

The verb “allow,” by itself, means to give permission. The subject could be a human being (or a governmental body) who is in position to grant permission.

The teachers allows student to chew gum in class.

The law does not allow car drivers to talk on the phone.

The subject also could be something inanimate, perhaps mechanical: here, it would not be about “permission,” but about accommodating a possible range, as of motion, within the mechanical tolerance of the construction. In this construction, we also need the infinite: allow X to do Y. This is the structure that choice (D) has.

The idiomatic structure “allow for” is used only for inanimate objects, primarily mechanical objects: it also indicates a possible range.

Amphibious vehicles allow for travel on both land and water.

The human shoulder joint allows for 360° rotation in a vertical plane.
In this SC question, we are discussion an “automobile’s transmission,” an inanimate mechanical object. We could use this second idiom, “allow for.” Choice (A) & (B) & (C) make this choice.

Choice (E) doesn’t follow either pattern correctly and is idiomatically incorrect.

Split #2: the Inside/Outside rule

One important rule about parallelism is the Once Outside, Twice Inside rule. This rule comes into effect when we have correlated conjunctions—that is, a coupled pair of conjunctions marking the two halves of the parallelism: examples include “both X and Y,” “neither X nor Y,” “not X but Y,” and “not only X but also Y.” When any of these are used, the parallelism has a clear start at the beginning of the first word. Anything that is within the “both X and Y” structure is “inside,” and anything that comes before or after it is “outside.” Now, suppose a preposition applies to words in both branches of the parallelism. We have two options:

Once Outside: to both X and Y

Twice Inside: both to X and to Y

In this question, we could have

Once Outside: allow for both X and Y

Twice Inside: allow both for X and for Y

Choice (A) & (B) have the mistake pattern, once-outside-and-once-inside. Both of those are incorrect.

Choice (D) has an incorrect comparison: “allows … the wheels to turn more slowly than that of the engine.” The antecedent of the pronoun “that” is the action of the verb “to turn more slowly.” A pronoun can have the action of a verb as its antecedent. This choice is incorrect.

The only possible choice is (C).

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lowe &nbs [#permalink] 15 Sep 2018, 19:56

An automobile’s transmission allows for both wheel rotation rates lowe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap