Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 06:08 It is currently 09 May 2024, 06:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16707 [38]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622392 [13]
Given Kudos: 81810
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622392 [1]
Send PM
Re: An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on work/rate problems: work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
All DS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=46
All PS work/rate problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=66
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622392 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
timica wrote:
I was a bit confused with this question. My interpretation of the time to fill to pool was that it was the total time. So the time would include the time taken for X and Y to fill the pool to half plus the time for Y (orX) to fill the other half.

Timica

Consider this: the pool is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. The question is: how long, in hours, will it take to fill the pool?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi ! I know I am way past the time for this thread but I'll still give my thoughts for someone coming here in the future!

I find DS questions easier to comprehend once I write down the data in a form of equation (s). IN the given questions, lets take the respective rates of hoses X & Y to be r_x & r_y and the total time to be 't'. We need to find 't' , where t=75000/(r_x + r_y)

Once we write down the above equation, it becomes very clear that we need to find r_x & r_y together to be able to find 't'. Hence, we need both statements (1) & (2) together to solve the above. Hence, option C.

Thank you again for this awesome series brunel! I'll be looking forward to all the other juicy questions coming up!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
timica wrote:
I was a bit confused with this question. My interpretation of the time to fill to pool was that it was the total time. So the time would include the time taken for X and Y to fill the pool to half plus the time for Y (orX) to fill the other half.

Timica

Consider this: the pool is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. The question is: how long, in hours, will it take to fill the pool?

Hi Bunuel! I too thought that 21 and 16 are total time and therefore wrote my equations as:-
1. 21 = [75k/2(x+y)] + [75k/2y]
2. 16 = [75k/2(x+y)] + [75k/2x]
k=1000, x = X's rate and y = Y's rate. This way too C will be the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 2412
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 5: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 6: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool. After hose X stops, hose Y continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 21 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 21*2=42 hours. We know the rate of Y, though know nothing about the rate of X. Not sufficient.

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool. Reverse case: after hose Y stops, hose X continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 16 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 16*2=32 hours. We know the rate of X, though know nothing about the rate of Y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know the rates of both hose X and Y, hence we can calculate the time they'll need to fi…ll the pool of 75,000 liters. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Bunuel, how is the question blindly giving us the rates of Y and X respectively in 1 and 2?

I interpreted (1) to say the following
t1/x + (1/y)*(t1+t2) = 1
t1 + t2 = 21
t1 = the time it takes both x and y to fill half of the pool
t1/x + 21/y = 1

Can you show me where I went wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622392 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TooLong150 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fi…ll the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool. After hose X stops, hose Y continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 21 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 21*2=42 hours. We know the rate of Y, though know nothing about the rate of X. Not sufficient.

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool. Reverse case: after hose Y stops, hose X continues filling the remaining half of the pool alone, and we are told that it needs 16 hours for that, hence to fill the whole pool it needs 16*2=32 hours. We know the rate of X, though know nothing about the rate of Y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We know the rates of both hose X and Y, hence we can calculate the time they'll need to fi…ll the pool of 75,000 liters. Sufficient.

Bunuel, how is the question blindly giving us the rates of Y and X respectively in 1 and 2?

t1/x + (1/y)*(t1+t2) = 1
t1 + t2 = 21
t1/x + 21/y = 1

It should be \(t_1(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}) + t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = 1\), where \(t_2=21\). We know that \(t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = \frac{1}{2}\), thus \(\frac{21}{y} = \frac{1}{2}\) --> \(y = 42\) hours.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 489 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
TooLong150 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

t1/x + (1/y)*(t1+t2) = 1
t1 + t2 = 21
t1/x + 21/y = 1

It should be \(t_1(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}) + t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = 1\), where \(t_2=21\). We know that \(t_2(\frac{1}{y}) = \frac{1}{2}\), thus \(\frac{21}{y} = \frac{1}{2}\) --> \(y = 42\) hours.

I think that they mean that \(t_1 + t_2 = 21\) and not \(t_2=21\)
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

I answered it incorrectly.
My thought was:
We know that first half was filled by both X and Y. and Y filled for 21 hrs. So, 75000/2 ltr was filled by both in first half and Y filled for 21 hrs. (total 42 hrs) we can check that how much liters can X fill in the first half of the tank!! :|
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Bunuel

My understanding of the question is similar to others who have posted.

Statement 1 states:
(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool.
Therefore:
t1+t2 = 21 hours, t1= 32,500*[Rate(x) + Rate (y)], and t2 = 32,500 * [Rate(y)]

Same logic would apply for statement 2.
Statement 2 states:
(2) If hose Y stopped filling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool.

Therefore:
t1+t2 = 16 hours, t1= 32,500*[Rate(x) + Rate (y)], and t2 = 32,500 * [Rate(x)]

Both statements clearly state that it would take their respective amount of times (21hrs and 16 hrs), if both hoses filled half the pool together, and then one hose continued the job alone to fill the other half of the pool.

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622392 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ashakil3 wrote:
Hi Bunuel

Statement 1 states:
(1) If hose X stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fi…ll the pool.
Therefore:

Statement 2 states:
(2) If hose Y stopped filling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool.

Therefore:

Both statements clearly state that it would take their respective amount of times (21hrs and 16 hrs), if both hoses filled half the pool together, and then one hose continued the job alone to fill the other half of the pool.

Thanks.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you've written there. Generally time*rate = job done, not time = job*rate.

Notice also that we don't know how much time is needed for hoses X and Y to fill half the pool.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
ashakil3 wrote:
Hi Bunuel

Statement 1 states:
Therefore:

Statement 2 states:

Therefore:

Thanks.

Sorry, but I do not understand what you've written there. Generally time*rate = job done, not time = job*rate.

Notice also that we don't know how much time is needed for hoses X and Y to fill half the pool.

Bunuel

Sorry, my "*" sign should be a "/" sign.

So for statement (1): t1+t2 = 21 hours, t1= 32,500 / [Rate(x) + Rate (y)], and t2 = 32,500 / [Rate(Y)]
And for statement (2): t1+t2 = 16 hours, t1= 32,500 / [Rate(x) + Rate (y)], and t2 = 32,500 / [Rate(X)]

Therefore, "21 hours" is the total time it takes to fill the pool if X&Y hoses work together for half the pool, and Y fills the remaining half of the pool. While in statement 2 it states "16 hours" is the total time it takes to fill the pool, if X&Y hoses work together to fill half the pool, and X fills the remaining half of the pool.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2340 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
enigma123 wrote:

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool.

Let rate of X hose be x and Y hose be y
SO this tells us that Half pool is filled ; therefore we can assume that Y is only effectively doing only half work and taking 21 hours to do that half work
y* 21= half of 75000 = 32500
y=32500/21
Now we know the rate of hose Y ; rate of hose X is missing
INSUFFICIENT

(2) If hose Y stopped fi…lling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fi…ll the pool.
SO this tells us that Half pool is filled ; therefore we can assume that X is only effectively doing only half work and taking 16 hours to do that half work.
x* 16= half of 75000=32500
y=32500/16
INSUFFICIENT

Merge both now we know the combined rate of x and y
( x + y) * time = total work = 75000

Time = 75000/x+y
Although x+y looks like a weird number but we know it is "32500/21 + 32500/16"

SUFFICIENT

ANSWER IS C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
LogicGuru1 wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

Let rate of X hose be x and Y hose be y
SO this tells us that Half pool is filled ; therefore we can assume that Y is only effectively doing only half work and taking 21 hours to do that half work
y* 21= half of 75000 = 32500
y=32500/21
INSUFFICIENT

SO this tells us that Half pool is filled ; therefore we can assume that X is only effectively doing only half work and taking 16 hours to do that half work.
x* 16= half of 75000=32500
y=32500/16
INSUFFICIENT

Merge both now we know the combined rate of x and y
( x + y) * time = total work = 75000

Time = 75000/x+y
Although x+y looks like a weird number but we know it is "32500/21 + 32500/16"

SUFFICIENT

ANSWER IS C

shouldn't be X=32500/16 ?
thanks,
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:
An empty swimming pool with a capacity of 75,000 liters is to be filled by hoses X and Y simultaneously. If the amount of water flowing from each hose is independent of the amount flowing from the other hose, how long, in hours, will it take to fill the pool?

(1) If hose X stopped filling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 21 hours to fill the pool.
(2) If hose Y stopped filling the pool after hoses X and Y had filled half the pool, it would take 16 hours to fill the pool.

Statement 1:
When X and Y together fill half the pool and Y alone fills the remaining half, the total time = 21 hours.
Implication:
If X and Y together fill the ENTIRE pool, the time will be LESS than 21 hours.
No way to determine the exact time.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
When X and Y together fill half the pool and X alone fills the remaining half, the total time = 16 hours.
Implication:
If X and Y together fill the ENTIRE pool, the time will be LESS than 16 hours.
No way to determine the exact time.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Since half the pool = 37,500 liters, it is almost certain that the 21-hour time in Statement 1 is split between two times that divide evenly into 37,500.
Since 37,500 is divisible by 6 and 15, test a time of 6 hours for X and Y together to fill the first half of the pool and a time of 15 hours for Y alone to fill the remaining half, for a total time of 21 hours.
If X and Y together take 6 hours to pump in the first 37,500 liters, the rate for X and Y together = \(\frac{work}{time} = \frac{37,500}{6} = 6250\) liters per hour.
If Y takes 15 hours to pump in the remaining 37,500 liters, the rate for Y alone \(= \frac{work}{time} = \frac{37,500}{15} = 2500\) liters per hour.
Resulting rate for X alone = (rate for X and Y together) - (Y's rate alone) = 6250-2500 = 3750 liters per hour.

Do the values above satisfy Statement 2, which indicates a total time of 16 hours when X and Y fill half the pool and X alone fills the remaining half?
If X and Y together take 6 hours to fill the first half of the pool, the time for X alone -- working at a rate of 3750 liters per hour -- to fill the remaining half of the pool \(= \frac{work}{rate} = \frac{37,500}{3750} = 10\) hours, for a total time of 16 hours.
Statement 2 is satisfied.

Since the tested values satisfy both statements, we know that the time for X and Y together to fill half the pool = 6 hours, implying a total time of 12 hours for X and Y to fill the entire pool.
SUFFICIENT.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Question: R = R(x)+R(y) , T =? , W=75000, T = 75000/R , suff if we can find sum of Rate of x and y OR T = ?

Statement 1 :
Both fill half tank : R(x)+R(y) , t , 75000/2 = 37500 => At the rate of R(x) + R(y),it will take time "2t" to completely fill the tank i.e. 75000ltrs. => R(x) + R(y) = 37500/t

X stops Y fills the other half : R(y) , t(y) , 37500 => R(y) = 37500/t(y)

t + t(y) = 21 => t(y) = 21 - t

not suff, since R(x) = ? OR t(y)=?

Statement 2 :
Both fill half tank : R(x)+R(y) , t , 37500

Y stops X fills the other half : R(x) , t(x) , 37500 => R(x) = 37500/t(x)

t+t(x) = 16 => t(x) = 16 - t

not suff, since R(y) = ? OR t(x)=?

Both Statements :
We have R(y) = 37500/t(y), R(x) = 37500/t(x), t(y) = 21 - t , t(x) = 16 - t

R(x) + R(y) = 37500/t(x) + 37500/t(y)

37500/t = 37500/t(x) + 37500/t(y)

1/t = 1/t(x) + 1/t(y)

Since, we have t(x) and t(y) in terms of t, it is sufficient to find the value of t and thus T=2t , Thus ANSWER C

Verification :
1/t = 1/t(x) + 1/t(y) => t = t(x) t(y)/ t(x)+t(y)

t = (16 - t) (21 - t) / (37-2t)

37 - 2t = 336 - 37t - t^2

t^2 + 35t -299 = 0
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93119 posts