GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 27 Jun 2019, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

An outstanding architect who came into the limelight

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
An outstanding architect who came into the limelight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 12:21
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (02:01) correct 68% (02:09) wrong based on 350 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An outstanding architect who came into the limelight around the turn of the 19th century to attain knighthood in the twentieth century, Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials and public layouts , and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi known as the Lutyens Delhi.

A. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi,

B. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens had designed not only many private houses, war memorials and public estates in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notably in New Delhi,

C. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts, and not only in the UK but so in several parts of the World, among which was most notably in New Delhi,

D. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many English private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, the most notable of which was New Delhi,

E. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notable of which was in New Delhi,

B
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Re: An outstanding architect who came into the limelight  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 12:40
A,B,C - error ‘and not only but also’ (doesn’t make sense) per the meaning
D- error ‘ most notable was New Delhi known as..’ most notable architecture should be in New Delhi not New Delhi itself

My answe is E

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 12:53
An outstanding architect who came into the limelight around the turn of the 19th century to attain knighthood in the twentieth century, Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials and public layouts , and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi known as the Lutyens Delhi.

A. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts and not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, and among which most notably was New Delhi,( not only construction with and is incorrect)

B. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens had designed not only many private houses, war memorials and public estates in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notably in New Delhi, ( use of past perfect is incorrect,intended meaning chages)

C. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts, and not only in the UK but so in several parts of the World, among which was most notably in New Delhi, ( same as in A)

D. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many English private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, the most notable of which was New Delhi,( houses,war memorials can not be a city, but they can be in a city)

E. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notable of which was in New Delhi,( correct)

Choice E is best.

Thanks
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 13:11
Top Contributor
What does 'most notable of which" refer to? Is it architecture"? There is no such word as 'architecture' in the choice.

The entire designing of New Delhi was the handiwork of Lutyens and therefore the Estate of New Delhi has come to be called as Lutyens' Delhi. Although he designed many other smaller units such as the Viceroy's house ( now Rashtrapati Bhavan), the war memorials and many such things, none of them is individually called Lutyens' Bhavan or Lytyens's war memorial. I am afraid, he did not design any other public layout anywhere in the world as huge as New Delhi.
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 11:16
How is D the Official answer.Kindly explain
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 11:18
Shrinidhi wrote:
How is D the Official answer.Kindly explain

Shrinidhi , please narrow your question? For what reasons do you think that option D should not be the official answer?

It is difficult to know how to answer a blanket inquiry about an option that has been addressed in one manner, for example. See the comment directly above your post.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 11:21
generis The only difference between D & E is the word "the" at the end.Why is "most notable ones" is wrong?
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 20:03
Top Contributor
Shrinidhi
Are you sure that is the only difference? Please train up your eyes for critical details.
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 22:08
What threw me off on D was the sudden appearance of " English private houses" instead of "private houses" in the question. My understanding was no new adjective should be present in a correct option if it was not already present in the question.
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 22:13
Top Contributor
Souvik
You are welcome to think so. But can you tell me how you got the understanding that a new adjective should not be there if it is not in the original? Does it include only a new adjective or any other things such as adverbs etc?
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 22:33
Top Contributor
Souvik
it will be also helpful if you can indicate some official examples in which your understanding of the new adjective is reflected verbatim in OEs?
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 02:57
D) "the most notable of which was New Delhi"

This seems incorrect as he did not design New Delhi

E) "the most notable of which was in New Delhi"

Seems better as he worked on projects IN Delhi.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 08:13
Hi Daagh,
I don't remember any specific official examples on top of my head. My understanding was one should not play around with the modifiers much. I agree D is grammatically correct and is the best in terms of meaning. It was just that I chucked it out because I was not sure if I can take in a new adjective "English", which was not there in the question, as a correct answer. But I'll keep an eye around for official examples.

Thanks,
Souvik
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 10:29
Answer E i think. please explain how d is the answer

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V21

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 18:44
@GMATNinja:- Please help how can E be wrong
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 22:37
Top Contributor
Please look into the following pieces of evidence. IMO, the city of New Delhi was 100% the brainchild of the architect. It is one part of the historical Delhi, (now distinctly called The Old Delhi, to avoid any confusion with Lutyens -designed new city.) the traditional, old city before the New Delhi was carved out.

Quote:
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Delhi

After the fall of the Mughal Empire post 1857 revolt, the British Raj shifted the capital of British controlled territories in India to a less volatile city, Calcutta in Bengal, where it remained until 1911. After the announcement of the change, the British developed Lutyens' Delhi (in modern New Delhi) just south-west of Shahjahanabad. At this point, the older city started being called Old Delhi, as New Delhi became the seat of national government. It was formally inaugurated as such in 1931.

Although many architects have added to the grandeur of New Delhi after Lutyens, the pride of place is given to only Lutyens, by calling it Lutyens Delhi.

Quote:
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Delhi\

In 1911, the capital of British India was shifted from Calcutta to New Delhi, the last inner city of Delhi designed by Edwin Lutyens.

Quote:
3. https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-old-name-of-Delhi

Point No 9.

Lutyens' Delhi or New Delhi, the city built by the British on the south-west

You might appreciate that as per the above citations, the Lutyens' Delhi is not part of New Delhi. The Lutyens' Delhi or the New Delhi is the innermost part of the Greater Delhi that includes the historically important Old Delhi.

The only problem with this question is that this requires some historical knowledge. While many of us may be familiar with epical Helen of Troy and the economic depression of the 1930s in the US, it is a late realization on my part that the history of Delhi and New Delhi is unlikely to be known to GMAT aspirants in the entire world including India. Probably this is the sore point of this topic.

B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 22:46
The use of "which" seems very ambiguous to me. Can you please explain the same w.r.t. to the correct option and question?
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 23:55
Top Contributor
avin,

Can you please elucidate why 'which' is ambiguous?
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 08:15
Between D and E

D. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many English private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, the most notable of which was New Delhi, He designed houses and other monuments not the city (delhi) - WRONG

E. Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed many private houses, war memorials, and public layouts not only in the UK but also in several parts of the World, most notable of which was in New Delhi, "Was in New Delhi" corrects the meaning in (D) - CORRECT
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2019, 03:13
The sentence talks about what Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens designed " in the UK" and not the UK itself. For the sentence to stay parallel a comparison should be made between the designed works "in the UK" and "in New Delhi". In that case can you please explain how option D is the answer?
GMAT Club Bot
An outstanding architect who came into the limelight   [#permalink] 09 May 2019, 03:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

An outstanding architect who came into the limelight

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics