Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 989 [86]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [9]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618611 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Re: Analyst: Creative professionals, such as clothing designers, graphic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think it is B .

line in the passage "In fact, most of these creative types are less skilled in business than is the average white-collar professional who does not work in a creative field" clearly indicates that there are some creative types who are at same level with white collar professionals.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1621 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Analyst: Creative professionals, such as clothing designers, graphic [#permalink]
Kudos
I'd go with B.

"most of these creative types are less skilled in business than is the average white-collar professional"... => some of the creative types are not less skilled

Rest of the options reads a bit too strong for me. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1248 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
Its B

A - It does not compare creativity with business skills rather only mentions that creative ppl lack managerial and business skills. Whether creativity is the cause for it is unknown. Moreover, it does not apply to all of them only some of them and only more so when they try to run their own business.
B- Correct. Mentions that some and not all creative ppl are less skilled at business that is the avg white collar worker who is not creative. Correctly compared from the info given in the argument.
C - This is too strong a statement and lacks proper relation. We are comparing creative ppl such as.... with business and creativity per se
D - Again its too broad. It could be some but not any or all.
E - Out of scope.

hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1145 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Maritime Financial Services
Schools:Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
 Q49  V36 GMAT 2: 720  Q48  V41
Send PM
OA is B ..but please help me out to understand the difference the difference between the 2 questions

1) What is inference drawn from the argument
2) What is the conclusion drawn from the argument.

As per my understanding Option B is inferred from the argument and is not the main conclusion drawn from the passage..

HELP URGENTLY
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1621 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
IEsailor wrote:
OA is B ..but please help me out to understand the difference the difference between the 2 questions

1) What is inference drawn from the argument
2) What is the conclusion drawn from the argument.

As per my understanding Option B is inferred from the argument and is not the main conclusion drawn from the passage..

HELP URGENTLY

Conclusion of the passage can usually be found within the passage. Inference is something we have to deduce, thinking going by the contents and sometimes drawing links, reading between the lines.

You are right. Here they are not asking about conclusion of the passage. Rather the options have some conclusions (however absurd some of them maybe) which has been inferred based on the argument, we have to say which one is the MOST correct option.

So here the passage has the conclusion "Generally, creative talent and business acumen rarely go hand in hand"
But that's not the question asked... so the best approach IMO is POE, cross out whichever cannot be put as a conclusion after reading this argument.

Well, tried to convey my understanding. Hope it helps
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
mm007 wrote:
Analyst: Creative professionals, such as clothing designers, graphic designers, and decorators, often have very poor managerial skills and do not succeed when they try to run their own businesses. In fact, most of these creative types are less skilled in business than is the average white-collar professional who does not work in a creative field. Generally, creative talent and business acumen rarely go hand in hand.

If the analyst's argument is taken as true, which of the following statements can properly be concluded?

A) No successful business people are creative.
we are told that talent+business rarely go hand in hand - not never. out.

B) Some creative types are not less skilled at business than is the average white-collar worker who is not creative.
true - close to argument's wording.

C) Creativity precludes success in business.
very extreme.

D) Any white-collar worker who is not creative is more successful in business than any creative professional.
same way of thinking as in A.

E) Business is not a creative endeavor.
nope!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
nightblade354

Could you please confirm on following :-

If we know that most cannot do it, can we conclude some can do it.

Similarly, if most can do it, some cannot do it
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Most means greater than 50%, but can mean up to 100%.

The negation is less than 50%

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
I disagree with the ending of the the answer choice B, which is also the OA ( ...who is not creative) So if someone is not working in a creative field he/she is not creative? If we take it for granted then it makes sense but I doubt if we can come up with such an assumption.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
I disagree with the ending of the the answer choice B, which is also the OA ( ...who is not creative) So if someone is not working in a creative field he/she is not creative? If we take it for granted then it makes sense but I doubt if we can come up with such an assumption.

"who is not creative" just implies "not working in creative field". Option (B) is just the best of the available options though far from perfect.
Logically, "most" COULD include "ALL" too but here, it is taken the way one uses "most" in colloquial language.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:

"who is not creative" just implies "not working in creative field". Option (B) is just the best of the available options though far from perfect.
Logically, "most" COULD include "ALL" too but here, it is taken the way one uses "most" in colloquial language.

I completely agree with this and this has been confusing me a lot cause I have also read that MOST -> 51 to 100 students out of 100 students

Which means there can be a case whereby all people are included
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Kellogg
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
This assumes that people working in creative professions are indeed creative (Acceptable). And white-collar people working in non-creative fields are not creative (extreme). For 'B' to be true, this assumption cannot be arrived at with the information given. Please clarify.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts