GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

i dont want to give up ...any tips , suggestions please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
i dont want to give up ...any tips , suggestions please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 02:45
Hi all,

I am preparing for GMAT past 3 months and i have a full time job, daily i will be preparing for GMAT 1 hour at night and 2 hours in mornings , i have divided the topics day by day and a revision test on the weekends , i am below average student not good at math and verbal (after 10 years am studying these topics) .

After few days of math topic i have planned for preparing verbal topics , after few weeks of verbal preparation on this weekend i tested my self on the prepared basic math topics , where i was completely blank couldn't answer the questions .

I was not able to recollect the basics which i prepared and practiced .

I cant afford the paid GMAT classes , am preparing based on the material which i found freely from the internet(mostly from GMAT-club forum) .

what to do , am i preparing it wrong , i cant mug-up the things .

i don't want to give up ...

any tips , suggestions please for preparing and practicing better ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: i dont want to give up ...any tips , suggestions please  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 04:27
henryford wrote:
Hi all,

I am preparing for GMAT past 3 months and i have a full time job, daily i will be preparing for GMAT 1 hour at night and 2 hours in mornings , i have divided the topics day by day and a revision test on the weekends , i am below average student not good at math and verbal (after 10 years am studying these topics) .

After few days of math topic i have planned for preparing verbal topics , after few weeks of verbal preparation on this weekend i tested my self on the prepared basic math topics , where i was completely blank couldn't answer the questions .

I was not able to recollect the basics which i prepared and practiced .

I cant afford the paid GMAT classes , am preparing based on the material which i found freely from the internet(mostly from GMAT-club forum) .

what to do , am i preparing it wrong , i cant mug-up the things .

i don't want to give up ...

any tips , suggestions please for preparing and practicing better ..

Dear Henry,

what you describe is not uncommon, forgetting basics of a certain subject after not practicing for some time happens to the best of us.

From what I can tell, your practice doesn´t lack dedication, but it seems you would benefit from a little more strcuture.

Have you tried to follow a study plan, e.g. one of the ones provided here on GmatClub? They usually switch between verbal and quant topics, to make sure you dont forget the one while focusing too much on the other.
Furthermore, could you provide some detail on your goals concerning the Gmat and the stage you are at right now?

E.g.:

GMAT score you aim for (Total, Q/V split)
Time left until you plan to take the test
Materials used so far

These information would enable myself, and the other (much smarter) users to give you some more detailed guidance.

All the best & keep your head up,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 05:09
Hi Chris Arro44

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes i created a study-plan for 6 weeks where in 1 week i included Quant topics and Verbal Topics and on weekend the test which i get online free tests and on the GMAT club forum questions.

GMAT score you aim for (Total, Q/V split) - Aim for 700+ (Q40+ / V 40+)

Time left until you plan to take the test - Am planning to give on Dec 20 , planning for round 2

Materials used so far Verbal - GMAT club Verbal basic material ; GMAT Club verbal Questions for practice

Materials used so far Quant - Manhattan quant basic - 2003 material and the questions in it for practicing and online free tests to check my knowledge ; GMAT Club Questions for practice

For AWA am reading the news papers and trying write down the passages on the topics which i select from the newspaper and i will review through online free checks and for vocabulary i have downloaded the free Magoosh vocabulary app.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 10:44
henryford wrote:
Hi Chris Arro44

Yes i created a study-plan for 6 weeks where in 1 week i included Quant topics and Verbal Topics and on weekend the test which i get online free tests and on the GMAT club forum questions.

Time left until you plan to take the test - Am planning to give on Dec 20 , planning for round 2

Materials used so far Verbal - GMAT club Verbal basic material ; GMAT Club verbal Questions for practice

Materials used so far Quant - Manhattan quant basic - 2003 material and the questions in it for practicing and online free tests to check my knowledge ; GMAT Club Questions for practice

For AWA am reading the news papers and trying write down the passages on the topics which i select from the newspaper and i will review through online free checks and for vocabulary i have downloaded the free Magoosh vocabulary app.
Hi all

Any suggestions and tips ...Please
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 14:13
henryford wrote:
henryford wrote:
Hi Chris Arro44

Hi all

Sorry that I did not yet answer in full detail; I am currently a little in a rush, thus I will provide a collection of helpful links for both Verbal and Quant topics first.
I´ll also post a little more detailed reply within the next days (likely Thursday)

Quant:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need ... l#p1130136
https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1630029
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... l#p1116454

Verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... p164321544
https://gmatclub.com/forum/powerscore-c ... ml#p937472
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-ver ... l#p1122343
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-destr ... ml#p205035

Best regards,
Chris

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 17:53
Arro44 wrote:
henryford wrote:
henryford wrote:
Hi Chris Arro44

Hi all

Sorry that I did not yet answer in full detail; I am currently a little in a rush, thus I will provide a collection of helpful links for both Verbal and Quant topics first.
I´ll also post a little more detailed reply within the next days (likely Thursday)

Quant:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-you-need ... l#p1130136
https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1630029
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... l#p1116454

Verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... p164321544
https://gmatclub.com/forum/powerscore-c ... ml#p937472
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-ver ... l#p1122343
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-destr ... ml#p205035

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you chris , by the time I will go through these links .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 08:02
Hi Henry,

besides going through the material, I think the most important thing is holding yourself accountable.
I would highly recommend to keep an error log and to analyze the mistakes you tend to make.

Work the on the weak areas, but do not neglect the topics in which you tend to do well.
A common mistake I see on this forum is that people are so focused on fixing their weak points, that they neglect their strenghts.
Especially if you aim to score about the 700 barrier, make sure to still review and refresh your strenghts.

If you are looking for additional material, either in the form of some more useful posts here on GmatClub or via helpful YT/Vimeo videos, please let me know.

One last piece of informartion I would like to recommend related to AWA section:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6 ... ml#p470475

All the best,
Chris

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 09:49
Hi henryford,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Since you have been preparing for three months, it would be helpful to know your current baseline GMAT score to determine how far off you are from your 700+ score goal. Thus, could you take an official GMAT practice exam? Once you take the exam, please report here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 10:42
Arro44 wrote:
Hi Henry,

besides going through the material, I think the most important thing is holding yourself accountable.
I would highly recommend to keep an error log and to analyze the mistakes you tend to make.

Work the on the weak areas, but do not neglect the topics in which you tend to do well.
A common mistake I see on this forum is that people are so focused on fixing their weak points, that they neglect their strenghts.
Especially if you aim to score about the 700 barrier, make sure to still review and refresh your strenghts.

If you are looking for additional material, either in the form of some more useful posts here on GmatClub or via helpful YT/Vimeo videos, please let me know.

One last piece of informartion I would like to recommend related to AWA section:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6 ... ml#p470475

All the best,
Chris
Arro44 Chris , thanks for the details , will go though the things and will prepare myself , i lost confidence till now but after the your help i build it again . Will reach out for sure thank you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 11:22
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi henryford,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Since you have been preparing for three months, it would be helpful to know your current baseline GMAT score to determine how far off you are from your 700+ score goal. Thus, could you take an official GMAT practice exam? Once you take the exam, please report here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.

Good luck!

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep ,

I took it before preparing the score was 490 v27 q30 and since am not good at both the verbal and quant .

After preparing few months as recently before i lost my confidence as i got 450 q29 and v24 .

I need to improve a lot ScottTargetTestPrep
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 17:22
Thank you for the response. I see that you plan to study using all free materials. Are you able to use any paid materials? Please let me know.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 20:23
Thank you for the response. I see that you plan to study using all free materials. Are you able to use any paid materials? Please let me know.
ScottTargetTestPrep No , i can't afford those but I have 2003 edition Manhattan basics guide for quant and practice those question and GMAT forum questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 10:33
henryford wrote:
Hi henryford,

Good luck!

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep ,

I took it before preparing the score was 490 v27 q30 and since am not good at both the verbal and quant .

After preparing few months as recently before i lost my confidence as i got 450 q29 and v24 .

I need to improve a lot ScottTargetTestPrep

just by preparing with the links provided in GMAT CLUB forum and practice the questions in forum is not enough to get 700 plus ?

Since my situation in a place where i cant afford the extra books and coaching classes ....actually to say my life and dream is depended on the score of GMAT .

if i get 700 + good score only i can get finance for my MBA .

please anyone can u give me a clarity on this !!
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2018, 18:16
henryford wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep No , i can't afford those but I have 2003 edition Manhattan basics guide for quant and practice those question and GMAT forum questions.

Hi Henryford,

I just PM'd you with some additional thoughts.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Club Bot
Re: i dont want to give up ...any tips , suggestions please &nbs [#permalink] 07 Oct 2018, 18:16

i dont want to give up ...any tips , suggestions please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap