GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone taken the 800 score CATs?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15
Re: Anyone taken the 800 score CATs? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2014, 04:34
anujbansal wrote:
I have taken 2 800 score Quant tests and 3 Verbal tests. Here are my scores.

Q1: 49
Q2: 49
V1: 31
V2: 32
V3: 32

The quant level was good and followed MGMAT pattern but I didn't find the verbal section's testing strategy similar to that of MGMAT's. Verbal tests were somewhat off from the actual GMAT test that I gave recently. In all the 3 tests I saw more SC questions (16-17) than usual. The RC level was OK but the CR section was again somewhat off than the actual GMAT CR.

Thanks for replying, Your GMat prep score is exactly same as mine. i have been scoring consistantly high on quant but 800 score flipped me. Thats why i posted this question.

The problem was scoring q46 despite of getting 30 questions correct and that too having first 17 correct on a trot.

mgmat and veritas seem much more consistant with gmat prep score.

Cheerz and best of luck.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2014, 05:05
I scored 31 questions correct out of 37 in both quant tests. Not sure of the pattern of answers in these two tests.

The verbal test scoring seem to be rather odd. I remember is used to score 37-38 with 27 questions correct in MGMAT tests. In gmat prep tests I scored 40+ both time with 31-32 questions correct. Look like 800 tests scoring is somewhat strange.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 16:07
I took the 800score Quant and Verbal today:

Q42 -- 13 Wrong
V47 -- 17 Wrong

Can someone please comment on the accuracy of Verbal scoring method. Is it possible to score V47....after getting 17 wrong ??
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 22:56
Hi Randude,

That Verbal Scaled Score DOES seem dubious. Are you sure that it's not a "percentile"?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 09:11
Hi Rich,

I confirmed...its not the percentile. Here's the screenshot:
Attachments

File comment: verbal
dasd.jpg
dasd.jpg [ 295.58 KiB | Viewed 1816 times ]

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 11:08
Hi Randude,

I suppose that it's mathematically possible (however unlikely) that you could get that many questions wrong and still score a Q47. IF....you were getting (mostly) the Experimental questions wrong and IF... you didn't make any silly mistakes on any 'gettable' questions. This is to say that you can't really get 17 random questions wrong and consistently score that high on the Official GMAT.

Have you taken any other CATs? What were your scores on those?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 12:57
Yes, I did take practice (freely available one). I felt the quant was at a good level and was much harder than the actual GMAT quant. Verbal was comparable to the actual test level.
Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 23:31
You absolutely cannot get 17 questions wrong in Verbal and get a V47 score. A V47 scorer will normally have two mistakes in Verbal. Even if you answered all your experimental questions incorrectly, there aren't enough experimental questions to get you to 17 mistakes. But experimental questions cover all difficulty levels, so most of them will be easy for a V47 test taker - a V47 test taker will almost never answer more than one of them incorrectly, and will most often answer all of the experimental questions correctly.

Note that the Quant section is different. You can have a lot of mistakes and still get very high Quant scores. The sections are different because the scaled scores translate differently to percentiles - a Q50 score is not the same thing as a V50 score. It is really the same, in percentile terms, as a V39 score. And just as the Q50 test taker can afford to make several mistakes on hard questions, so can the V39 test taker. The Verbal scoring scale really goes a lot higher than the Quant does, since the Verbal scale is capable of differentiating among test takers deep into the 99th percentile (any score between V45 and V51 is in the 99th percentile, while a Q51, the highest possible Quant score, is only in the 97th percentile). If the Quant scale instead went up to 60, so the test distinguished between test takers above the 97th percentile, then to get the Q58-Q60 scores, you would have almost no margin for error, just as you do now in Verbal if you're aiming for a V49-V51. But the Quant scale stops at 51, and to get a Q50, you can make a lot of mistakes, as long as those mistakes are mostly on the hardest questions.

Anyway, there is definitely a bug in the scoring of that test, and that graph they present you at the end is just not how the scoring algorithm works. Since they're not implementing the algorithm correctly, it's not surprising their scoring is off. If you want to get a good estimate of your Verbal level, there's no substitute for the official GMATPrep tests.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 01:26
I have also taken a few of them and found the scoring to be inconsistent with other tests, so gave up and didnt try more!!

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Current Student
Schools: IIMB EPGP"18 (A)
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 09:12
I got a 780 - q50 and v45. Is this even realistic? I can believe the quant because i have been scoring q50-49 in other test preps too, but verbal was a huge jump from my usual v35 to v45

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 11:15
Hi ts30,

If one of your score results is an 'outlier' (meaning that you can't ever seem to score at that level except in that one example), then THAT score result is likely unrealistic for some reason. It could be that the CAT itself was unrealistic or it could be that you took the CAT in a way that was unrealistic. Regardless, if you can't repeat that result on a different 'brand' of CAT (or on the Official GMAT), then you're correct to question the accuracy of that outcome.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Current Student
Schools: IIMB EPGP"18 (A)
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 11:46
Thanks Rich,

I thought so too! Its way too good to be true :o
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 20:49
ts30 wrote:
I got a 780 - q50 and v45. Is this even realistic? I can believe the quant because i have been scoring q50-49 in other test preps too, but verbal was a huge jump from my usual v35 to v45

Posted from my mobile device

Hi ts30,

V45 means you have an amazing grasp of the Verbal section. The only way to bolster this would be by taking a GMAT prep CAT.
There are two free CATs and you can buy 4 more in the form of Exam Pack1 and 2.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 03:47
I purchased the GMAT Option 1 (5 CATs) from 800 score last week and received no notification as to how to use the tests, no login details etc. I have sent 800score six emails and left a voicemail, no answer has been received. So ... a pretty crappy service.
Re: Anyone taken the 800 score CATs?   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2017, 03:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Anyone taken the 800 score CATs?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JUNE
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap