It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aphasia, an impairment of the capacity to use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 910 [2], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Aphasia, an impairment of the capacity to use [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2013, 01:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:34) correct 19% (01:54) wrong based on 846 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 21
Page: 123
Difficulty:

Aphasia, an impairment of the capacity to use language, often occurs when a stroke damages the left half of the brain. Many people with stroke-related aphasia recover at least some capacity to use language within a year. One proposed explanation for such recoveries is that the right side of the brain, which is not usually the major language center, develops its latent language capabilities to compensate for the damage to the left side.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the explanation?

(A) In a study of local brain activity in people performing a language task, people with stroke related aphasia showed higher activity levels in the right half of the brain than people who did not have aphasia.
(B) A blow to the head injuring the left half of the brain can result in impairment of the capacity to use language indistinguishable from that produced by a stroke.
(C) Among people with stroke-related aphasia, recovering lost capacity to use language does not lead to any impairment of those capacities normally controlled by the right half of the brain.
(D) A stroke that damages the left half of the brain often causes physical impairments of the right side of the body that lessen over time.
(E) Studies of numerous people with aphasia have indicated that the functions that govern language production and those that govern language comprehension are located in separate areas of the brain.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Last edited by dentobizz on 21 Oct 2013, 21:50, edited 2 times in total.
Necessary Corrections for Official Guide Verbal Review 2nd Edition Project

Kudos [?]: 910 [2], given: 322

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 910 [0], given: 322

Premium Member
Re: Aphasia, an impairment of the capacity to use [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2013, 01:05
I fully understand why the OA.

However, I did not understand the explanation OG gave while rejecting option (C).

(C). This provides no evidence about whether it is the right half of the brain’s developing its latent
language capabilities that alleviates aphasia. It could be these patients experience no impairment
of capacities controlled by the right half of the brain because the right half of the brain is
completely uninvolved in stroke patients’ recovery of language-use capability.

IMO, (C) states

Among people infected with APHASIA,RECOVERING LOST CAPACITY doesn't lead to IMPAIRMENT OF THOSE CAPACITIES , and these CAPACITIES are normally controlled by RIGHT HALF of the BRAIN.

And why it cannot be an answer which states that RECOVERING doesn't imply IMPAIRMENT OF THOSE CAP, and these CAP. controlled by RHB.
Implies that RIGHT HALF plays an important ROLE in recovering !!!

Plz advise !

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1059

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA , IIMC
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2013, 02:32
Even when I was attempting this question, I ended up selecting 'C' as the answer. But the overall answer is 'A'.

Best Regards,
RS

10 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 181 [10], given: 69

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2013, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
rahulsehgal wrote:
TGC wrote:
I fully understand why the OA.

However, I did not understand the explanation OG gave while rejecting option (C).

(C). This provides no evidence about whether it is the right half of the brain’s developing its latent
language capabilities that alleviates aphasia. It could be these patients experience no impairment
of capacities controlled by the right half of the brain because the right half of the brain is
completely uninvolved in stroke patients’ recovery of language-use capability.

IMO, (C) states

Among people infected with APHASIA,RECOVERING LOST CAPACITY doesn't lead to IMPAIRMENT OF THOSE CAPACITIES , and these CAPACITIES are normally controlled by RIGHT HALF of the BRAIN.

And why it cannot be an answer which states that RECOVERING doesn't imply IMPAIRMENT OF THOSE CAP, and these CAP. controlled by RHB.
Implies that RIGHT HALF plays an important ROLE in recovering !!!

Plz advise !

Even when I was attempting this question, I ended up selecting 'C' as the answer. But the overall answer is 'A'.

IMO A

I'll directly come to choices A and C.

Suppose, in a normal healthy person, Left Part controls 90% of language tasks and Right part controls 10% tasks. The argument mentions:

"One proposed explanation for such recoveries is that the right side of the brain, which is not usually the major language center,
develops its latent language capabilities to compensate for the damage to the left side.
"

Normal People (without Aphasia)

------------- Brain ------------------
*** Left Part | Right Part ****
****** 90% ****** 10% ****

People affected with Aphasia

------------- Brain ------------------
*** Left Part | Right Part ****
****** 50% ****** 40% ****(tries to compensate for the loss incurred in the left part because of aphasia)

Choice A -> Study shows exactly what I've shown above that aphasia affected people have higher levels in Right part of the brain than normal people.

(C) Among people with stroke-related aphasia, recovering lost capacity to use language does not lead to any impairment of those capacities
normally controlled by the right half of the brain.

We have to support the explanation that the right part of brain is indeed responsible for compensating for the lost capacity in the left part. Does this choice mentions which part of the brain is responsible for recovering lost capacity? NO It merely states that the recovering capacity doesn't affect the existing capacities controlled by the right part of the brain.

Does it make sense ?

Kudos [?]: 181 [10], given: 69

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA , IIMC
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2013, 11:09
Thank you Gian :)

+1 Kudo. It makes perfect sense now. A is the correct answer and NOT C.

Best Regards,
RS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2013, 03:25
it is too hard and I want to follow this problem.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Director
Director

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 08:04
Hi e-gmat,

Aphasia, an impairment of the capacity to use language, often occurs when a stroke damages the left half of the brain. Many people with stroke-related aphasia recover at least some capacity to use language within a year. One proposed explanation for such recoveries is that the right side of the brain, which is not usually the major language center, develops its latent language capabilities to compensate for the damage to the left side.

My Analysis:
Premise:Stroke damages left part=>Aphasia.
MANY recover some capacity within a year.

Conclusion: And the recovery is possible is due to RIGHT SIDE of the BRAIN.

Assumptions:
Left side of the brain doesn't heal automatically over time and regains some capacity to use language. Hence, only RIGHT side of the BRAIN is responsible for the recovery.

Since I have query in (A) and (C), so will discuss the same.

(A) In a study of local brain activity in people performing a language task, people with stroke related aphasia showed higher activity levels in the right half of the brain than people who did not have aphasia.
Doesn't it go too far in saying that

HIGHER ACTIVITY LEVELS while performing language task => strengthen conclusion.

But the HIGHER ACTIVITY LEVELS can be for something else. For instance, thinking something else while performing LANGUAGE TASK.

(C) Among people with stroke-related aphasia, recovering lost capacity to use language does not lead to any impairment of those capacities normally controlled by the right half of the brain.

I don't understand the meaning of the option itself, let alone the elimination of this option.

Please suggest !

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9269 [0], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2014, 23:59
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
TGC wrote:
Hi e-gmat,

My Analysis:
Premise:Stroke damages left part=>Aphasia.
MANY recover some capacity within a year.

Conclusion: And the recovery is possible is due to RIGHT SIDE of the BRAIN.

Assumptions:
Left side of the brain doesn't heal automatically over time and regains some capacity to use language. Hence, only RIGHT side of the BRAIN is responsible for the recovery.

Since I have query in (A) and (C), so will discuss the same.

Doesn't it go too far in saying that

HIGHER ACTIVITY LEVELS while performing language task => strengthen conclusion.

But the HIGHER ACTIVITY LEVELS can be for something else. For instance, thinking something else while performing LANGUAGE TASK.

I don't understand the meaning of the option itself, let alone the elimination of this option.

Please suggest !

Dear Student,

Thank you for your post. :)

As per the question, a possible explanation for the stated recovery is that the right side of the brain develops its dormant capabilities to compensate for the damage to the left-side. So as per this explanation, the right side is now doing some work that it wasn’t doing earlier. This work is done to compensate for the lack of certain activities in the left part of the brain.

Now, our job in this question is to strengthen the explanation given above. I can see that in your analysis of choice A, you have correctly understood the link between higher activity levels in the right part of the brain and its engagement in the stated area. However, the consideration raised by you that HIGHER ACTIVITY LEVELS can be for something else. For instance, thinking something else while performing LANGUAGE TASK makes me think that you may be looking for a choice that concretely proves/ “very” strongly indicates that the proposed explanation is correct. However, the role of a strengthener is to just increase our belief in the conclusion and not necessarily prove the same, a job that this choice does fully well and you have already made the relevant link between the higher activity levels and the proposed explanation.

Now, coming to choice C that says:
Among people with stroke-related aphasia, recovering lost capacity to use language does not lead to any impairment of those capacities normally controlled by the right half of the brain.

Choice C states that the process of recovery in stroke-related aphasia patients does not cause any damage to the abilities usually controlled by the right half of the brain. Now do you think this choice sheds any information on what leads to the process of recovery in the first place?

Thanks,

Neeti.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Last edited by egmat on 01 Sep 2014, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 9269 [0], given: 340

Director
Director

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 00:58
Hi e-gmat,

Agree with your explanation.

Just wanted to know the meaning what (C) wants to say. On the other hand, I know this choice is irrelevant to conclusion.

Rgds,
TGC!

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 12:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B
Status: Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 135

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 21:50

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the explanation?

(B) A blow to the head injuring the left half of the brain can result in impairment of the capacity to use language indistinguishable from that produced by a stroke.
(D) A stroke that damages the left half of the brain often causes physical impairments of the right side of the body that lessen over time.
(E) Studies of numerous people with aphasia have indicated that the functions that govern language production and those that govern language comprehension are located in separate areas of the brain.

While solving this question I dropped down to 2 options, option A and C. But picked option C finally. But I am still NOT very clear why option C is wrong. Can someone explain the option C in more detail, why it is wrong?? :? :? I am clear with the understanding of option A.

My Understanding of Option C :

Lets negate this option.
Negation - Among people with stroke-related aphasia, recovering lost capacity to use language does lead to any impairment of those capacities normally controlled by the right half of the brain.

Lets revisit the proposed explanation again,
Proposed explanation for such recoveries is that the right side of the brain, which is not usually the major language center, develops its latent language capabilities to compensate for the damage to the left side.

What does the negation says??
Among people with stroke-related aphasia (often occurs when a stroke damages the left half of the brain), recovering lost capacity does lead to any impairment of those capacities normally controlled by the right half of the brain.

Regards,
Varun

Trying my best..... will succeed definitely! :)

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long.
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful. :)

Do Check OG 2017 SC Solutions - http://gmatwithcj.com/solutions-gmat-official-guide-2017-sentence-correction-questions/

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 135

Aphasia, an impairment of the capacity to use   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2017, 21:50

Aphasia, an impairment of the capacity to use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap