Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 23:19 It is currently 05 May 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 582 [1]
Given Kudos: 161
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Application opinion needed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi alhuneidi the GMAT score you need has much to do with your profile, if you are overrepresented this will not be high enough but if a bit underrepresented, I think you are OK because both of these numbers meet the 75% threshold for each section. That said, make sure to have a 105+ - since McGill teaches in both French and English, I think you will need this. Also, try to do well in the video essays.

alhuneidi wrote:
Hi lovely people!

I'm hoping to get some feedback on what to do with my gmat score. I took the test for the first time today and got a 700 (Q48, V38 IR8). Although a 700 is a good score I really was hoping to do better. I would have been ecstatic with a 730 and really believe that this score is achievable. On my previous practice tests (from mba.com) I was consistently getting >V40 and my quant fluctuates between a 47-50 (silly mistakes always hold me back and I've gotten much better at that.)

My dream would be to get into INSEAD (Jan 2020), and so here's a little more about my profile:
- Engineering undergrad from McGill - GPA 3.17/4 (first two years were at like 2.5 last 2 years were like 3.6)
- Experience in construction management in Canada and Schlumberger for 2 years now (offshore international and now onshore Canada)
- Ive founded a start-up while at uni but after some initial funding research came back negative I've also founded an NPO which is now working on a pilot project in Ethiopia to help with education.

My question is should I retake the gmat and aim for the 730 which I really think I can achieve. During my test I felt right away a kinda messed up the quant and the verbal I felt was ok, nothing special or horrible.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [1]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alhuneidi wrote:
Hi lovely people!

I'm hoping to get some feedback on what to do with my gmat score. I took the test for the first time today and got a 700 (Q48, V38 IR8). Although a 700 is a good score I really was hoping to do better. I would have been ecstatic with a 730 and really believe that this score is achievable. On my previous practice tests (from mba.com) I was consistently getting >V40 and my quant fluctuates between a 47-50 (silly mistakes always hold me back and I've gotten much better at that.)

My dream would be to get into INSEAD (Jan 2020), and so here's a little more about my profile:
- Engineering undergrad from McGill - GPA 3.17/4 (first two years were at like 2.5 last 2 years were like 3.6)
- Experience in construction management in Canada and Schlumberger for 2 years now (offshore international and now onshore Canada)
- Ive founded a start-up while at uni but after some initial funding research came back negative I've also founded an NPO which is now working on a pilot project in Ethiopia to help with education.

My question is should I retake the gmat and aim for the 730 which I really think I can achieve. During my test I felt right away a kinda messed up the quant and the verbal I felt was ok, nothing special or horrible.

I think you answered your own question as you stated that you really think a better score is achievable. If that is indeed the case, I would highly suggest you retake as you would not want to feel like you didn’t give the process your all if you don’t get admitted. Then you’ll always wonder “what if I had re-taken?”, “what if I did that..?” and so on, and you don’t want that.

So while your profile does seem good (although I am lacking a lot of information in order to be able to really judge that), I would suggest you re-take, for your own sake, and for you to be able to present your very best self to the adcoms. That way there’ll be no regrets later...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Technically, if you have a good profile (you seem to), INSEAD would be happy with a 700. Having said that, if you feel you have room to improve, then you should absolutely do it - because that showcases your full potential, and that is important.

Another way to think of it - maybe you would get a better scholarship if you are that much more attractive as a candidate?

Regards,
Karthik

alhuneidi wrote:
Hi lovely people!

GMAT Club Bot