Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 09:38 It is currently 11 May 2024, 09:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33558 [6]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33558 [0]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [3]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists excavating an ancient Chi-Xua site found a small statue [#permalink]
A: Irrelevant
B: AGAINST : if residential has multiple rooms but it has single room then it is against the hypothesis
C. it doesn't mention whether storage rooms are for residential or not
D: same as C
E. FOR :exclusively for personal food storage : means residential support
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 232
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V30
Send PM
Re: Archaeologists excavating an ancient Chi-Xua site found a small statue [#permalink]
Kudos
For: Red-and-white striped pottery was used in Chi-Xua almost exclusively for personal food storage.
white-and-red striped pottery fragments were found means it was used for residential purpose

Against: Nearly all Chi-Xua residential buildings had multiple rooms.
but in the passage, it is said that the building has only one room that means it was not used for residential purpose

let us look at other options
Local sandstone was rarely used for building in ancient Chi-Xua sites. ( irrelevant to us)

Some Chi-Xua buildings included multiple storage rooms measuring approximately 30 square meters. (first of all, I am always careful when the passage use words like some, nearly all, etc it would be a good counter for against but we have already chosen the best option and I do not know why was the storage room was used whether for residential or some other reason)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 501
Send PM
statement 4 should be:
The cloth fragments did not contain the pigments commonly used in Chi-Xua ceremonial robes.
Attachments

IR.PNG
IR.PNG [ 56.28 KiB | Viewed 4264 times ]

GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33558 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nisen20 wrote:
statement 4 should be:
The cloth fragments did not contain the pigments commonly used in Chi-Xua ceremonial robes.

The above question was posted from a reliable source and there is no issue with the existing statement.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 501
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

In the absence of more information about the use of sandstone in ancient Chi-Xua buildings, the fact that the building material was unusual does not, in itself, imply any particular function. This rules out the first option as the correct response for either selection. While the building in question did have an area of 30 square meters, the fact that it was a one-room building makes the third option irrelevant. Finally, even if it could be known with certainty that the bits of cloth were not part of ceremonial robes, the absence of ceremonial robes provides no evidence to suggest that the room served a residential function. Thus the fourth option is also irrelevant.

If red-and-white striped pottery was used almost exclusively for personal food storage, this strongly suggests that the room was a private space, such as a residence.

The correct answer is Red-and-white striped pottery was used in Chi-Xua almost exclusively for personal food storage.

If nearly all of the Chi-Xua residential buildings had multiple rooms, then strong evidence of residential use would be required to accept that this building is one of the few exceptions.

The correct answer is Nearly all Chi-Xua residential buildings had multiple rooms.

The OE has already suggested what the 4th statement is.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93159 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1029 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11238 posts