Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [24]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material [#permalink]
uHCWB wrote:
I thought "as" should be used before an action. But, this time "as" is used to introduce role, I guess

yes you are right. AS has been used here to introduce role of. Even I got this question wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
I got my answer correct but was confused between A and C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
hotshot02 wrote:
How E is wrong?
It will be helpful if someone can explain..

E is wrong because two independent clauses are connected without any connectors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: HBS '19
Send PM
koushiksaha4all wrote:
As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial, in varying degrees, most hybrid religions are disturbing places of incongruity and difference.

A. As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial, in varying degrees, most hybrid religions
B. In similar way that specific divergent sites embrace in varying degrees the material and also the immaterial, most hybrid religions
C. As specific divergent sites embrace both the material and the immaterial, most hybrid religions in varying degrees
D. Most hybrid religions, as specific divergent sites, embracing in varying degrees both the material and the immaterial,
E. Specific divergent sites embrace both the material and the immaterial in varying degrees, similarly most hybrid religions

A can't be correct. It says,"As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial, in varying degrees, most hybrid religions"

That is not the correct usage of both X and Y. While posting the question please specify the source.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shouldn't answer be C. It shows

1. the correct usage of Both X and Y
2. 'in varying degrees' is modifying most hybrid religions.

In A, I believe it is not clear what 'in varying degrees' modifier is modifying.

Please confirm.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Send PM
Can experts comment on the validity of this question?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Choice E changes the intended meaning of the sentence. Remember the word 'as' can act as a conjunction or a preposition depending on the context.

In Choice A ‘As’ is used as a comparison (As = in the same way). Replace it in the sentence (In the same way specific divergent sites that embrace _________) and implies a contrast in the second clause.

In answer choice E ‘similarly’ incorrectly implies similarity rather than difference. It’s saying the first clause is similar to the second clause which is not the intended meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
It's an excerpt from the book (Buddhism and Postmodern Imaginings in Thailand: The Religiosity of Urban Space
By James Taylor), and there is no comma after the word DEGREES in the book. Doubt the question, experts plz shed some light. I did it right though for the same reason rohan2345 explained, but need an explanation from experts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
forgot to mention that option A is indeed the sentence written in the book but without a comma after the word degrees
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material [#permalink]
Expert Reply
spring2015 wrote:
It's an excerpt from the book (Buddhism and Postmodern Imaginings in Thailand: The Religiosity of Urban Space
By James Taylor), and there is no comma after the word DEGREES in the book. Doubt the question, experts plz shed some light. I did it right though for the same reason rohan2345 explained, but need an explanation from experts.

There MUST be a comma after "degrees". The main clause is:

Most hybrid religions are disturbing places of incongruity and difference.
Subject: Most hybrid religions

The modifier of this subject is "As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial, in varying degrees,". Hence a comma is required after "degrees".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Expert,
Can you please explain how A is better than C? As someone mentioned in above posts, I think in option A it is not clear what - "in varying degrees" is modifying?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
Expert,
Can you please explain how A is better than C? As someone mentioned in above posts, I think in option A it is not clear what - "in varying degrees" is modifying?

"In varying degree" is a verb modifier referring to "embrace" - the embracing of the material and the immaterial occurs in varying degrees, e.g., some may embrace more of material than of immaterial, while the others more of immaterial than of material. Such varying degree of embracing is the reason that hybrid religions are incongruous and different.

Option C does not make any sense. First, it is not clear that the divergent sites are themselves the hybrid religions. Second, "in varying degrees" wrongly refers to the verb "are".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
adityapareshshah wrote:
Can experts comment on the validity of this question?

FYI, saharshbagaria also, I've just encountered this question in GMAT Club CAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
my 1st attempt in the verbal test was wrong but after reading 5-6 times ,I understood the question .
option A is right . AS is correct to compare 2 actions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Shouldn't like be used here rather than 'as'?

Like specific divergent sites(that do XYZ), most hybrid religions......

How is the first part of the sentence an action?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
koushiksaha4all wrote:
As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial, in varying degrees, most hybrid religions are disturbing places of incongruity and difference.

A. As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial, in varying degrees, most hybrid religions
B. In similar way that specific divergent sites embrace in varying degrees the material and also the immaterial, most hybrid religions
C. As specific divergent sites embrace both the material and the immaterial, most hybrid religions in varying degrees
D. Most hybrid religions, as specific divergent sites, embracing in varying degrees both the material and the immaterial,
E. Specific divergent sites embrace both the material and the immaterial in varying degrees, similarly most hybrid religions

This question is based on Modifiers.

The sentence begins with a modifier - As specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial – that describes the subject – most hybrid religions. There is another modifier – in varying degrees - placed in between that modifies the verb ‘embrace’. Option A is the only option that conveys the intended meaning.

Option B changes the meaning by the use of the phrase “In a similar way”. This phrase conveys a comparison between specific divergent sites and hybrid religions. However, the basis of comparison is illogical as the sentence compares the way divergent sites embrace in varying degrees the material and also the immaterial with hybrid religions as disturbing places of incongruity and difference. So, Option B can be eliminated.

The difference between the modifier in Option A and Option C is the relative pronoun ‘that’. The use of the pronoun ‘that’ converts it into an adjective modifier. When the pronoun is removed, the modifier becomes an adverbial modifier that cannot modify the noun ‘hybrid religions’. The conjunction ‘as’ conveys a sense of time, i.e., two actions happening together, which is not the intended meaning in this sentence. So, Option C can be eliminated.

In Option D, the participle phrase “embracing in varying degrees both the material and the immaterial” modifies the subject “most hybrid religions”. However, it is meant to modify the subject ‘specific divergent sites. So, Option D can be eliminated.

Option E consists of two independent clauses that are separated by a comma. The adverb similarly indicates a comparison that is not completely logical.

The conjunction ‘as’ conveys the meaning “in the manner of”. The intended meaning of the sentence is that in the manner of specific divergent sites that embrace both the material and immaterial, in varying degrees, most hybrid religions are disturbing places of incongruity and difference. This is conveyed by Option A. Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I choose C because after "as" we have a clause. In option A we are comparing two nouns using as (which I believe is incorrect). I agree that most hybrid religions in varying degrees distorts the meaning.
Pls help me in eliminating C
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts