Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 06 Jun 2020, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inser

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 20:12
Dear experts,
In this question i was stuck between b and e. Had the option b read... As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted,the action causes...
Would it would have been right.
Kindly help me to understand option b.
Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inser  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 16:10
abhishek001 wrote:
Dear experts,
In this question i was stuck between b and e. Had the option b read... As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted,the action causes...
Would it would have been right.
Kindly help me to understand option b.
Thank you.

Often, when we begin a sentence with "as," it functions like a conjunction, meaning "at the same time" or "because." For example:

"As Tim prepared to make to toast in the bathtub, his wife dialed the paramedics."

Here, "as" seems to convey the notion of "at the same time," and it connects the two clauses.

Now consider the following:

"As Tim prepared to make to toast in the bathtub, with the result that his wife dialed the paramedics."

Notice that both "as" and "with the result" are functioning like connectors here. That's no good - two clauses should only have one connector. We see the exact same problem in (B).

The word "as" doesn't appear in (E). Because we only have a single connector, (E) corrects the problem and is our winner.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21
GPA: 4
WE: Other (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 22:24
egmat wrote:
Hi debayan,

This is my response to a PM on this one.

As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

Since the meaning of this sentence is not difficult to understand, let’s evaluate the errors in this sentence:

Error Analysis:
1. There is no antecedent for “this”. Being a pronoun, “this” must refer to a noun, but from the meaning of the sentence, we know that an action results in something.
2. Also, only an action can “result in” something. We cannot say “a thing” “result in” something.
3. Notice the construction of this part “… of stinging causing…”. This is ungrammatical. We can only use a verb-ing word in this construction if it is a modifier.

PoE:

(A) As the honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes: Incorrect. Per this choice, there is no independent clause in the sentence.

(C) The honeybee’s stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes: Incorrect. It repeats the second error of choice A. Per this choice, the sentence says “The honeybee’s stingers” (a thing) results in something.

(D) The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing: Incorrect. It repeats the third error in the original choice.

(E) The honeybee’s stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes: Correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha.

Dear egmat ,
Yes its clear that the stinger's staying in a particular position results in ....
But to show a result (ACTION) we need -ing or a noun modifier . How can ,+ with help to modify an action .
,+ with concept often confuses me can you elaborate the use of WITH. Why is WITH used to modify anything? Don't we need FANBOYS to connect two independent sentence and modifiers to connect dependent sentences ?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 22:44
"As" itself is a 'cause indicator' working like 'because or since'.
So, 'with the result' is redundant. Also, we need one independent clause at least.
So, A and B out.

C- stinger itself result in something? More to that it is resulting in the fact?? Very awkward.

D - again awkward. Results in? Stinging causing?

E- better than above all.

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2020, 08:37
Hi Experts,

would appreciate some clarity as to how the use of "it" in option E is justified in reference to the honeybee's stinger, which I believe is a possessive noun.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2020, 23:44
mohitmajok wrote:
Hi Experts,

would appreciate some clarity as to how the use of "it" in option E is justified in reference to the honeybee's stinger, which I believe is a possessive noun.
Hi mohitmajok,

The possessive noun is honeybee's, not stinger. The it refers to the whole noun phrase the honeybee's stinger, and not to only the possessive. That said, it is generally not a good idea to rely on the rule for possessive nouns and pronouns anyway.
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 07:36
The reason why I eliminated choice E is because I found it ambiguous in meaning. It can result in below 2 meanings:
1. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted and this act results in "something"
2. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and it stays where it is inserted with the result- which means the sting stays where it is inserted with the result of "something"

can't 'with' modify immediate action -inserted? Please let me know where my understanding is wrong here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2020, 08:27
KarishmaChauhan wrote:
The reason why I eliminated choice E is because I found it ambiguous in meaning. It can result in below 2 meanings:
1. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted and this act results in "something"
2. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and it stays where it is inserted with the result- which means the sting stays where it is inserted with the result of "something"

can't 'with' modify immediate action -inserted? Please let me know where my understanding is wrong here?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you are referring to something like this:

"The tiny device was inserted with a specialized tool."

Here "with a specialized tool" modifies "inserted".

But in choice (E) we are not literally saying that a "result" was inserted with the stinger. That doesn't make any sense at all -- the "result that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury" isn't a thing that can be physically inserted with the stinger.

The fact that a comma separates "with the result that" from "inserted" helps clarify that "with the result that..." modifies the entire preceding clause, not just "inserted".

And even if the meaning seemed a bit ambiguous, that's not a strong enough reason to eliminate (E) right away. It's still the best option.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inser   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2020, 08:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inser

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics