It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Re: As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 14:21
Hi Payal,
Please guide me on the below question.

Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles without truly understanding how to apply them.

a) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles

b) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles

c) to approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles

d)that they should approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles

e)that they should approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles

I think here we are trying to compare "mathematics" with "creative ability"(do not think here "as" can be used as a function) , hence 2 nouns are being compared. I opted for B but the correct answer is C.
Please help me understand whats wrong in my thinking.

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1474

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 20:17
egmat wrote:

1. Like Concept File – This file explains how like should be used correctly in a sentence. In all there 15 example sentences and 10 questions in the quizzes in this concept file.
2. As Concept File – This file explains the various functions of as. In all there are 6 examples and 8 questions in the quiz.
3. Like vs As Concept File – In this file we first explain the source of confusion between as and like. Then we discuss how this confusion should be resolved and how this process can be used when solving SC questions. We present the confusion and its resolution using 6 different examples. We also solve 3 official SC questions using the suggested approach.
4. Like Vs. As Application File – Like a typical SC application file, you will first attempt 8 SC questions and then you will be able to view detailed solutions.

Regards,

Payal Tandon

Payal,

I know we usually use as for stating examples but is there any case in which like is also used??

Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 20:17
egmat wrote:

1. Like Concept File – This file explains how like should be used correctly in a sentence. In all there 15 example sentences and 10 questions in the quizzes in this concept file.
2. As Concept File – This file explains the various functions of as. In all there are 6 examples and 8 questions in the quiz.
3. Like vs As Concept File – In this file we first explain the source of confusion between as and like. Then we discuss how this confusion should be resolved and how this process can be used when solving SC questions. We present the confusion and its resolution using 6 different examples. We also solve 3 official SC questions using the suggested approach.
4. Like Vs. As Application File – Like a typical SC application file, you will first attempt 8 SC questions and then you will be able to view detailed solutions.

Regards,

Payal Tandon

Payal,

I know we usually use as for stating examples but is there any case in which like is also used??

Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 12:23
hi,
could anyone explain why- it's never correct to say "was as that of XYZ."

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 03:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg '13, NUS '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V45
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2016, 23:58
Please suggest which of the following are correct and what would be the corrected version of those that are incorrect:

1. Emily has as little money as I.
2. My friend doesn’t have as much work as Sam.

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Kellogg '13, NUS '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V45
As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2016, 00:21
Hi Payal,

Can you please provide some insight into how to deal with statements which compare the quantity of two objects using "as".
Eg.: "This rock weighs twice as much as that one."

In these cases, I find the concept of "clause with a verb" after "as" not applicable. Kindly help.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3312 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2016, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
piyush_89 wrote:
Hi Payal,

Can you please provide some insight into how to deal with statements which compare the quantity of two objects using "as".

In these cases, I find the concept of "clause with a verb" after "as" not applicable. Kindly help.

The example you have mentioned is of the idiomatic usage of "as...as...".

"As" with clause and " like" with noun is altogether a different topic.

Like my brother, I am fond of football.
As my brother is, I am fond of football.

These usages are not be mixed up with the as... as... usage.

Kudos [?]: 3312 [1], given: 22

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 3

Schools: Darden '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
H Payal,

I have a doubt with the usage of like in the below example:

Amy takes care of children in the daycare like a mother.

I understand that like is used to compare two nouns; however, isn't 'mother' referred here as a role/function. As per the post, for stating function we use As+Noun, so shouldn't the correct sentence be ........... as a mother?

Please let me know your thoughts on the same.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 3

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:24
piyush_89 wrote:

Hi piyush_89, of course there is a verb; just that it's not visible:), because it's implied.

The sentence is: This rock weighs twice as much as that one (weighs).

Hope it is now evident that weighs is implied.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses As Vs Like, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:30
mkabra123 wrote:

I understand that like is used to compare two nouns; however, isn't 'mother' referred here as a role/function. As per the post, for stating function we use As+Noun, so shouldn't the correct sentence be ........... as a mother?

Hi mkabra123, let's slightly simplify the sentence.

Amy takes care of children like a mother.

This is a valid sentence. The following would also be valid:

Amy takes care of children as a mother.

However, rather than interpreting Amy's role/function as a mother, a better way to interpret this sentence would be:

Amy takes care of children as a mother (takes care of children).

So, basically "as" has two main functions:

i) Preposition (role/function)
ii) Conjunction (connects two clauses, as is the case here)

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses As Vs Like, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3312 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:32
mkabra123 wrote:
H Payal,

Please let me know your thoughts on the same.

Thanks!

"Like" is alright - the comparison is between "a mother" and "Amy" - not the function of a mother and function of Amy. The comparison will be more clear if the comparison phrase is relocated:
Like a mother, Amy takes care of children in the daycare.

If the functions are required to be compared, then the sentence should be:
Amy takes care of children in the daycare as a mother DOES.

The sentence "Amy takes care of children in the daycare as a mother." has a different meaning altogether. This sentence implies that Amy herself is the mother - "as" is used to mean "in the role of".

Kudos [?]: 3312 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9053 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:51
mkabra123 - I believe sayantanc2k and EducationAisle have already addressed the concern you raised. Take a look at the Like vs As concept file in our free trial if you need more explanation or simply more practice. We have more than 20 questions that test this concept there. Take a look at the help video below on learn how to access the free trial.

https://e-gmat.wistia.com/medias/gcqikwkiq4

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9053 [0], given: 335

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 162

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 05:22
Hey Shraddha egmat,

Can you help me with the below GMATPrep EP1 question? The word "as" is neither used to compare clauses nor used to suggest some function (as + noun)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-steel-in ... 73197.html

According to the comments on the thread, it is used in place of because. I though as has only two functions and didn't have any other functions at all. Hence I eliminated the right choice during the exam. Can you put some light on all other uses of "as" ?

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks :-)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 162

Re: As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2017, 05:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 54 posts ] 

As Vs Like: Correct and Incorrect usages

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap