GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 03:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:43) correct 37% (00:54) wrong based on 63 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually lead to increasing in their revenues, and strengthening of their competitive advantage in the highly competitive power and heavy engineering industry.

A. increasing in their revenues,

B. an increasing in the revenues of them,

C. an increasing in revenues,

D. an increase in their revenues,

E. their increase in revenues,

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Re: Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 03:16
Although I got this correct, I have a confusion regarding the structure of the sentence.
In this sentence, the clause -"strengthening of their competitive advantage in the highly competitive power and heavy engineering industry" is not an independent one, yet is separated by comma and ( ---, and ). Is it correct?
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 05:53
Gagoosh

the question here is list.

Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually lead to an increase in their revenues, and strengthening of their competitive advantage in the highly competitive power and heavy engineering industry.

The highlighted part is the two part of a list where action verb || complex gerund.

Hope it helps.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 06:17
Hi arun6765,
Why is A incorrect. Is there a parallelism error?

Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually lead to increasing in their revenues, and strengthening of their competitive advantage in the highly competitive power and heavy engineering industry.
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 06:45
guptakashish02

You see the non-underlined part in the sentence(strengthening of their competitive advantage) we have to make the first part parallel to it.

So, strengthening of their... is a complex gerund (acc to Mgmat) and should be parallel to Complex gerund or action verb increase, growth etc.

So if choice A would be (the increasing of their revenues) than it probably be one contender. And if this new A and present E are the choices you are given to choose from then go with action verb because MGMAT says if action verb there is appropriate action verb than no need of complex gerund.

Presently option A is a Simple gerund form(not sure but it is absurd to say that something leads to increasing in, after all, who says like that :lol: :lol:) . For more clarification, you can go through the MGMAT SC Guide.

Hope it helps.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 08:40
arun6765 wrote:
Gagoosh

the question here is list.

Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually lead to an increase in their revenues, and strengthening of their competitive advantage in the highly competitive power and heavy engineering industry.

The highlighted part is the two part of a list where action verb || complex gerund.

Hope it helps.

Agreed..which is why picked the answer. My question was about the placement of the comma. Is it correct? Also, what is the source of this question?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually &nbs [#permalink] 01 Oct 2018, 08:40

Asea Brown merged with Boveri hoping that this merger would eventually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap