GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member
At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2019, 10:15
Economist wrote:
At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of the 3 samples of tea in a random arrangement of 9 marked cups. If each contestant tastes 4 different cups of tea, what is the probability that a contestant does not taste all of the samples?

A. \(\frac{1}{12}\)

B. \(\frac{5}{14}\)

C. \(\frac{4}{9}\)

D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

E. \(\frac{2}{3}\)

Really good problem. Let's break it down.

-- Does order matter? No. (i.e. Are we selecting or arranging? Problem says "random arrangement," this means selecting/combinations; all 3 cups of A are the same)
-- Is there replacement? No, unless specifically stated assume there is no replacement.
-- Is each grouping of them the same? Yes, for the denominator total (fundamental counting principle) but No for the numerator (we need to find 4 cups with a certain condition). There are 2 possibilities, either 2 types of tea or 3 types of tea, we can't get 1 type of tea because there's 4 selections and only 3 cups of each type.
-- The easiest way to approach is to find P(2 teas) = 1 - P(3 teas). I made a chart using slot method:

Ways to choose first, second, third, any tea type (3 * 2 * 1 * 1) * Number of cup choices (\(\frac{3}{9} * \frac{6}{8} * \frac{3}{7} * \frac{6}{6}\))

Step by step:
3 ways to choose 1st tea type * 3 cups out of 9 total
2 ways to choose 2nd tea type * 6 remaining cups out of 8 total
1 way to choose 3rd tea type * 3 remaining cups out of 7 total
1 way to choose ANY type * 6 remaining cups out of 6 total (anything can fulfil this requirement; we are asking for the way to choose ANY tea, rather than the way to choose one of the 3 types. Since we can choose any tea, we can choose any cup also)

After reducing fractions, we are left with 9/14. Usually GMAT problems on probability will have answers that add up to 1, so I would expect that as a trap answer. Since we found the P(3 types) and are looking for P(2 types) we need to do 1 - 9/14 = 5/14.

locklock wrote:
I am having issues with the above, especially this line
there are \(2\) ways in which second & third cup can be tested {AB, BA}. first & fourth cup already have probability 1.

in the 2nd fraction, 6/8, you already considered that either the 2nd or 3rd group can be considered. Why still a need for x2?

locklock That solution is similar to mine, but the poster reasoned through it a bit differently. I think what he meant was that there's 2 distinct ways for the second/third slot to account for (Say you pick Tea A for first slot, you can get B or C for 2nd slot. If you got B, then the 3rd is A, but if you got A, then the third is B). That's why he multiplied by 2.

I would write it like this because it's more clear to me:

Ways to choose ANY tea, 2nd tea, 3rd tea, ANY tea (1 * 2 * 1 * 1) * Number of choose cup choices ( \(\frac{9}{9} * \frac{6}{8} * \frac{3}{7} * \frac{6}{6}\))

Step by step:
1 way to choose ANY tea type * 9 cups out of 9 total
2 ways to choose 2nd tea type * 6 remaining cups out of 8 total
1 way to choose 3rd tea type * 3 remaining cups out of 7 total
1 way to choose ANY type * 6 remaining cups out of 6 total.

You can see that the difference is only where the factor of 3 goes, whether in the ways to choose or the choices, so it works out to be the same.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2019, 12:09
AKProdigy87 wrote:
I got B: 5/14 as well, although using a different approach.

Number of ways to choose 4 cups to drink from: 9C4

Since the contestant must drink 4 cups of tea, and there are only 3 cups of each tea, the contestant MUST drink at least two different samples.

Number of ways to choose which two samples the contestant drinks (since he can't drink all 3): 3C2

Three cases:

a) 3 Cups of Sample 1, 1 Cup of Sample 2: 3C3 * 3C1
b) 2 Cups of Sample 1, 2 Cups of Sample 2: 3C2 * 3C2
c) 1 Cup of Sample 1, 3 Cups of Sample 3: 3C1 * 3C3

Therefore,

\(P = \frac{3C2(3C3*3C1 + 3C2*3C2 + 3C1*3C3)}{9C4}\)

\(P = \frac{3(1*3 + 3*3 + 3*1)}{\frac{9*8*7*6}{4*3*2*1}}\)

\(P = \frac{45}126\)

\(P = \frac{5}{14}\)

this is how i tried to do in a way, however, want to know between a and c, if i multiple by 3 to consider any flavor, why do i need another combination of it.

a) 3 Cups of Sample 1, 1 Cup of Sample 2: 3C3 * 3C1 * 3 for any flavor
b) 2 Cups of Sample 1, 2 Cups of Sample 2: 3C2 * 3C2 *3 for any flavor
c) 1 Cup of Sample 1, 3 Cups of Sample 3: 3C1 * 3C3 -> Why do i need combination C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Reviews Badge
Re: At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2019, 08:38
Economist wrote:
At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of the 3 samples of tea in a random arrangement of 9 marked cups. If each contestant tastes 4 different cups of tea, what is the probability that a contestant does not taste all of the samples?

A. \(\frac{1}{12}\)

B. \(\frac{5}{14}\)

C. \(\frac{4}{9}\)

D. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

E. \(\frac{2}{3}\)

Breakdown: There are 3 cups with three different samples and there are total of 9 cups .
So all 9 cups we can say ,
Sample 1--contained in 3 similar cups.
Sample 2--contained in 3 similar cups
Sample 2--contained in 3 similar cups

Total number of ways in which one can taste all the three samples(from a set of 4)
= 3C1(sample 1,one cup) * 3C1(sample 2,1cup)* 3C2(sample 3,2 cup) *3(total ways in which these three selections can be made(3!/2)=3)
=3*3*3*3= 81 ways

Required probability = 1 - 81/9c4 = 5/14
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 07:47
locklock wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

i solved the question as follows. i hope my approach is correct.

let's consider that the contestant tasted all 3 flavors.
the first cup can be selected from any 9 cups. P = \(\frac{9}{9}\)
the second cup can be selected from 6 (other 2 flavors) of the remaining 8 cups. P = \(\frac{6}{8}\)
the third cup can be selected from 3 (flavor not tested yet) of the remaining 7 cups. P = \(\frac{3}{7}\)
the fourth cup can be selected from any of the remaining 6 cups. P = \(\frac{6}{6}\)

there are \(2\) ways in which second & third cup can be tested {AB, BA}. first & fourth cup already have probability 1.

probability that the contestant tasted all flavors = \(\frac{9}{9}*\frac{6}{8}*\frac{3}{7}*\frac{6}{6}*2 = \frac{9}{14}\)

required probability = \(1 - \frac{9}{14} = \frac{5}{14}\)

in the 2nd fraction, 6/8, you already considered that either the 2nd or 3rd group can be considered. Why still a need for x2?

please explain why we multiplied by 2 I cannot relate it with other examples such as https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-part-of-a ... 56446.html
Intern
Intern
At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 21:27
locklock wrote:
dimitri92 wrote:

i solved the question as follows. i hope my approach is correct.

let's consider that the contestant tasted all 3 flavors.
the first cup can be selected from any 9 cups. P = \(\frac{9}{9}\)
the second cup can be selected from 6 (other 2 flavors) of the remaining 8 cups. P = \(\frac{6}{8}\)
the third cup can be selected from 3 (flavor not tested yet) of the remaining 7 cups. P = \(\frac{3}{7}\)
the fourth cup can be selected from any of the remaining 6 cups. P = \(\frac{6}{6}\)

probability that the contestant tasted all flavors = \(\frac{9}{9}*\frac{6}{8}*\frac{3}{7}*\frac{6}{6}*2 = \frac{9}{14}\)

required probability = \(1 - \frac{9}{14} = \frac{5}{14}\)

Bunuel, Gladiator59, generis - I have been racking my head over why that 2 is added. Please help us gain clarity.
GMAT Club Bot
At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2019, 21:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

At a blind taste competition a contestant is offered 3 cups of each of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics