Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 09:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 126
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 May 2013, 06:26
1
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (01:47) correct 23% (01:54) wrong based on 701 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales representatives visit the home office once every 20 days. The number of visits that a junior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent greater than the number of visits that a senior representative makes in the same period?

A. 10%
B. 25%
C. 33%
D. 50%
E. 67%

Originally posted by chan4312 on 06 Aug 2008, 11:48.
Last edited by Bunuel on 17 May 2013, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to PS forum.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56244
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2013, 06:35
7
8
Archit143 wrote:
Hi
Can anyone help me with the other version of the question where the answer will be 33%. I was trapped.
But i am confused in the wording of the question.
I suppose we are asked to calculate the change between each...

Archit


If the question were: "The number of visits that a senior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent smaller than the number of visits that a junior representative makes in the same period?", then the answer would 33%: (36-24)/36=1/3=~33%.

When asked "a is what percent greater/smaller than b" always put b in the denominator: (a-b)/b*100.

Hope it helps.
_________________
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1557
Location: New York
Re: sales representatives :Problem Solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2008, 11:52
chan4312 wrote:
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales representatives visit the home office once every 20 days. The number of visits that a junior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent greater than the number of visits that a senior representative makes in the same period?
A. 10%
B. 25%
C. 33%
D. 50%
E. 67%


junionrs 365*2 /20 ~ 36
seniors 365*2 /30 ~ 24

3-2/3 *100 = 33%

C
_________________
Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 126
Re: sales representatives :Problem Solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2008, 12:02
x2suresh wrote:
chan4312 wrote:
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales representatives visit the home office once every 20 days. The number of visits that a junior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent greater than the number of visits that a senior representative makes in the same period?
A. 10%
B. 25%
C. 33%
D. 50%
E. 67%


junionrs 365*2 /20 ~ 36
seniors 365*2 /30 ~ 24

3-2/3 *100 = 33%

C


No..That is not the correct answer..Try again.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1557
Location: New York
Re: sales representatives :Problem Solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2008, 12:21
1
chan4312 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
chan4312 wrote:
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales representatives visit the home office once every 20 days. The number of visits that a junior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent greater than the number of visits that a senior representative makes in the same period?
A. 10%
B. 25%
C. 33%
D. 50%
E. 67%


junionrs 365*2 /20 ~ 36
seniors 365*2 /30 ~ 24

3-2/3 *100 = 33%

C


No..That is not the correct answer..Try again.

:lol: Suresh: Read the Question properly... Read the question properly Read the question properly :lol:
3-2/2 *100 = 50%

D
_________________
Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1140
Re: sales representatives :Problem Solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2008, 18:14
chan4312 wrote:
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales representatives visit the home office once every 20 days. The number of visits that a junior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent greater than the number of visits that a senior representative makes in the same period?
A. 10%
B. 25%
C. 33%
D. 50%
E. 67%


(36-26)/26 ~ 33% hence IMO C
_________________
cheers
Its Now Or Never
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1396
Re: sales representatives :Problem Solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2008, 19:46
1
I get D. In 2 years, we have 365*2=730 days. Now, we have to find out the overall number of 20 day and 30 day 'chunks', if you will.

So, we get 730/20 = 36.5 and 730/30 = 24.3. To find what percent greater, we do (36.5-24.3)/24.3 = 12.2/24.3, which is approx 50%
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 859
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2013, 05:48
Hi
Can anyone help me with the other version of the question where the answer will be 33%. I was trapped.
But i am confused in the wording of the question.
I suppose we are asked to calculate the change between each...

Archit
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 732
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2013, 03:27
2
Senior is \(\frac{1}{30}\)
Junior is \(\frac{1}{20}\)

for a 2 year period ( senior) 2/30 >> \(\frac{1}{15}\)
for a 2 year period ( Junior) 2/20 >> \(\frac{1}{10}\)

To find Junior - senior / senior * 100


{1/10} - {1/15}/ {1/15} * 100

= 50 percent
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2013, 13:44
S: 1/month => 12/year => 24/2 years
J: 1.5/month => 36/2 years

% of J > S in 2 years: (J-S)/S*100=50%
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9433
Location: Pune, India
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 02:56
5
1
fozzzy wrote:
Senior is \(\frac{1}{30}\)
Junior is \(\frac{1}{20}\)

for a 2 year period ( senior) 2/30 >> \(\frac{1}{15}\)
for a 2 year period ( Junior) 2/20 >> \(\frac{1}{10}\)

To find Junior - senior / senior * 100


{1/10} - {1/15}/ {1/15} * 100

= 50 percent


Responding to a pm:

When you say Senior is 1/30, what do you mean by it? It is the rate of visit. The time of visit is 30 days. The rate is 1/30. Similarly, the rate of visit for junior is 1/20.
The 2 yrs has no significance in this case. The rate stays the same for every time interval.

{1/20} - {1/30}/ {1/30} * 100 = 50%
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Posts: 3
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 02:09
Bunuel wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
Hi
Can anyone help me with the other version of the question where the answer will be 33%. I was trapped.
But i am confused in the wording of the question.
I suppose we are asked to calculate the change between each...

Archit


If the question were: "The number of visits that a senior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent smaller than the number of visits that a junior representative makes in the same period?", then the answer would 33%: (36-24)/36=1/3=~33%.

When asked "a is what percent greater/smaller than b" always put b in the denominator: (a-b)/b*100.

Hope it helps.


I got the answer to this question correct, but the above has confused me a bit.

In the question, I treated Junior as A and Senior as B, therefore (A-B)/B = (36-24)/24 = 50%.

But in the above you say that if it were the percent that senior was smaller than junior, it would be (36-24)/36 as "When asked "a is what percent greater/smaller than b" always put b in the denominator: (a-b)/b*100".

So if Senior is then A and Junior then B, would it not be 24-36/36?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56244
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 02:44
JaredL wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
Hi
Can anyone help me with the other version of the question where the answer will be 33%. I was trapped.
But i am confused in the wording of the question.
I suppose we are asked to calculate the change between each...

Archit


If the question were: "The number of visits that a senior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent smaller than the number of visits that a junior representative makes in the same period?", then the answer would 33%: (36-24)/36=1/3=~33%.

When asked "a is what percent greater/smaller than b" always put b in the denominator: (a-b)/b*100.

Hope it helps.


I got the answer to this question correct, but the above has confused me a bit.

In the question, I treated Junior as A and Senior as B, therefore (A-B)/B = (36-24)/24 = 50%.

But in the above you say that if it were the percent that senior was smaller than junior, it would be (36-24)/36 as "When asked "a is what percent greater/smaller than b" always put b in the denominator: (a-b)/b*100".

So if Senior is then A and Junior then B, would it not be 24-36/36?


It's switched to get positive result.
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2014
Posts: 14
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.54
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 11:16
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
When you say Senior is 1/30, what do you mean by it? It is the rate of visit. The time of visit is 30 days. The rate is 1/30. Similarly, the rate of visit for junior is 1/20.
The 2 yrs has no significance in this case. The rate stays the same for every time interval.

{1/20} - {1/30}/ {1/30} * 100 = 50%


YOu're the best Karishma!!

I performed a lengthy calculation, though not really performed the multiples and divisions but left the big numbers there for cancelations, and also realized that the number of year (1 year or 2 or whatever) does not mean anything. The rate is the same, so this question is as simple as:

(30-20)/20 = 50%

:-D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2015
Posts: 162
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 06:00
Anyone who want to review my solution?

2 years = 2 * 365 days = 730 days

I:
senior: \(\frac{730}{30} = \frac{73}{3}\)
junior: \(\frac{730}{20} = \frac{73}{2}\)

II:
(jun-sen): \(\frac{73}{2} - \frac{73}{3} = \frac{73}{6}\)

III:
change / sen: \(\frac{73}{6}/\frac{73}{3} = \frac{73}{6} * \frac{3}{73} = \frac{1}{2}\)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Posts: 117
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 06:23
chan4312 wrote:
At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home office once every 30 days, and junior sales representatives visit the home office once every 20 days. The number of visits that a junior sales representative makes in a 2-year period is approximately what percent greater than the number of visits that a senior representative makes in the same period?

A. 10%
B. 25%
C. 33%
D. 50%
E. 67%

number visits by seniors=730/30 and number of visits by juniors = 730/2
the difference is 73/6
(diff/no of visits by seniors) *100 = 50%

note that you can assume any variable; it gives the same answer
x/30 and x/20
diff = x/60
yet, you arrive at the same answer.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Status: Bouncing back from failure
Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 66
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Reviews Badge
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 00:54
For every two months i.e 60 days, Senior goes 2 times and junior goes 3 times. Every two months Junior goes 1 time (=3-2) extra i.e. 50% (=1/2)more than Senior.
As on 2 years is multiple of 2 months, the 50% will remain.

So 50% is the answer.

----------------------
Kudos please if you like my post
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11655
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 17:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2018, 17:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

At Company X senior sales representatives visit the home

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne