It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 475

Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 00:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for

B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of

C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for

D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of

E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

A, C, E - declining sales for.. is wrong. Should be declining sales of .
B - 'which' refers to company which is wrong. Challenges include 'the threat...' and 'the declining sales..'
Hence 'D'.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 475

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2015, 21:21
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of

E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

Here are the two things that I am concerned about. I Agree that one of these choices is right, but in D, can "them" refer to either investors or does it clearly refer to challenges ? and in E, the sales "for". " these " in E can only refer to challenges.

I would appreciate if someone told me how I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 10:22
souvik101990 wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
comma+ing serves as a clause modifier that modifies the preceding clause. but it doesn't make sense at all
declining sales is not a continuous action.
sales for - not correct to present the intended meaning
parallelism error - the treat is not || to the declining sales
including among - i believe it is redundant

B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
which refers to the closest noun company - hence again a modifier error.
includes = does not agree in number with "challenges"
declining sales is not a continuous action.
parallelism error - the treat is not || to declining sales

C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
comma+ed again modifier of the closest noun - incorrect.
as well as - is not preferred
decline in sales for - changes the meaning
parallelism error - the treat is not || to a decline

correct
entities are parallel
correctly presents "sales of"

as well as - incorrect
sales for.

Kudos [?]: 394 [0], given: 182

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 45

WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 08:53
This question is screwy. You can argue against D, saying "among them.....the" requires a linking verb, albeit yet another present participle, thereby removing D as an answer choice. The take away for me is, whenever in doubt, parallelism, pronouns, and other "big dogs" are far more important than some obscure constructions.

Kr,
Mejia

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 45

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 02:44
tradinggenius wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip
1) Including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
2) Which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales of
3) Included among these the treat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
4) Among them the treat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
5) Among these the treat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

including among them is redundant,. "including" mean some of them already.
which include means which consist of. not meaning here
these in c and e never can be used as pronoun.

D is left.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 02:52
enasni wrote:

I have a question.. "among them......" in the answer choice 'd' is a prepositional noun modifier modifyin the noun 'challenges' and not an absolute phrase? N If "among them....." is a prepositional noun modifier then why is there a comma to separate this phrase? n If its an absolute phrase (noun + noun modifier) then the noun modifier(among them) which is a prepositional noun modifier modyfyin the nouns "the threat n the decline" should come after the nouns?

eg The cat on the couch took a nap but if we say ' On the couch, the cat took the nap'... now the prepositional phrase modifies the verb. What am I missin? Please help.
Thanks. :)

The modifier "among them" is more similar to a subgroup modifier than to a prepositional phrase.

Moreover using a comma after an introductory prepositional phrase depends on the length of the phrase. Some grammarians suggest that comma should be used only when the length of the phrase is at least 5 words.Thus for the example you have given, the comma is not required. However this concept is not the issue here since "among them..." is not a prepositional phrase comparable to the example you have cited.

Coming back to the type of modifier in question, subgroup modifiers are non-essential modifiers, stating something extra about the group it refers to. Hence they should be separated by commas.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 02:39
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip
This is not as daunting a question as it appears. The decision point is easy "sales for" is an incorrect idiom. The correct idiom is "sales of"

1) Including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
WRONG :- Incorrect idiom "sales for" is incorrect ; "sale of" is correct idiom

2) Which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales of
WRONG:- "which" is incorrectly modifying company. "which" should modify challenges

3) Included among these the treat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for

4) Among them the treat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
CORRECT:- Correct idiom; crisp and concise.

5) Among these the treat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

tradinggenius wrote:

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 02:41
This is not as daunting a question as it appears. The decision point is easy "sales for" is an incorrect idiom. The correct idiom is "sales of"

WRONG:- "which" is incorrectly modifying company. "which" should modify challenges

quote="lordw"]At the annual stockholder meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival´s multibillion dollar patent infringement suit and the declining sales for the company's powerfull microprocessor chip.

B. which includes the threat of a rival´s multibillion dollar patent infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival´s multibillion dollar patent infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival's multibillion dollar patent infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival's multibillion dollar patent infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

Guys my doubt is between options D and E, can someone explain with details? Tks. Lw[/quote]

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 02:43

mymba99 wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous
challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s
multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for
the company’s
powerful microprocessor chip.
A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement
suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit
and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement
suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and
the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit
as well as the decline in sales for

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 02:49
In option D, don't we require a helping work (are) with the option.?? One more thing can verb-ing modifiers be used with past tense?..
eg: In 1850, Shershah built the Grand Trunk Road, extending from A to B.
In 1850, Shershah built the Grand Trunk Road, which extended from A to B.

Which between the above 2 sentences is correct?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
meetmba91 wrote:
In option D, don't we require a helping work (are) with the option.?? One more thing can verb-ing modifiers be used with past tense?..
eg: In 1850, Shershah built the Grand Trunk Road, extending from A to B.
In 1850, Shershah built the Grand Trunk Road, which extended from A to B.

Which between the above 2 sentences is correct?

Your query 1:
No, "are" is not required - "among them..." falls in a special category of modifier called subgroup modifier. Another example ( from Manhattan SC guide):

This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.

Your query 2:
The present participle modifier takes up the tense of the main verb of the sentence.
I saw a bird flying. ... since the action seeing happened in the past, the action flying also happened in the past.

Your query 3:
You need to understand the difference between:
a. I saw a bird flying... means I saw a bird - it was flying
b. I saw a bird, flying.. means I saw a bird while I was flying.
A comma + a present participle modifier refers to the subject of the previous clause or the the whole clause.

In 1850, Shershah built the Grand Trunk Road, extending from A to B.... wrong: "extending" refers to the subject of the previous clause Shershah. Shershah built the Grand Trunk road - when he built it he could not have extended it at the same time.

In 1850, Shershah built the Grand Trunk Road, which extended from A to B. Here "which..." correctly refers to "Road".

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 182

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 02:12
The OA of this question seems incorrect. If so, please modify the OA.
Here is the explanation https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t7688.html

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 182

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [1], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Please change the OA to D.

Let us look at each of the answer options -

A - Incorrect.
"including among them the threat from a rival’s multi-billion-dollar patent infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip."

"including + among" is redundnant.
"threat from" is generally used with people. Hence, unidiomatic.
"the threat" and "the declining" are not perfectly parallel.
"sales for" here is incorrect. It seems to imply "sales for the sake of the company's microprocessor chip".

B - Incorrect.
"the numerous challenges facing the company, which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of"

"which" seems to refer to "the company"
"the threat" and "declining" are not perfectly parallel.

C - Incorrect.
"included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent infringement suit as well as a decline in sales for"

"included + among" is redundant as removing "included" does not change the meaning of the sentence.
"these" is incorrect as demonstrative pronouns must have a noun to modify. They cannot be used independently.
"threat from" is generally used with people. Hence, unidiomatic.
"sales for" here is incorrect.

D - correct answer.
"among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of"

"threat of X" - here X is the threat. Hence, correct.
"sales of" - is the correct idiom.

E - incorrect.
"among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for"
Usage of "these" is incorrect.
"sales for" is unidiomatic.

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: ISB '17

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 07:14

A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for

C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for

E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for[/size]

numerous means many -> many means more than 2 so we need among
got filtered to D and E
IN E these is not referring to any thing so it is wrong
finaly left out with D which is the correct answer

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: ISB '17

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 08:52

A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for

C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for

E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for[/size]

a simple way to get To the answers is read for structures
A. including among them X and Y for
B .which includes X and Y of
C. included among these X as well as a decline in Y for
D. among them X and Y of THE company ----- looks perfect
E. among these X as well as Y

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 04:01
VKat wrote:
Can we use "among them" to connect independent clause .. is it some kind of modifier?

First, "among them" is NOT connecting an independent clause - there is NO clause after " among them", just two things: X (the threat) and Y (the decline) - without any verb.

"Among them X and Y" is a (special) noun modifier referring to "challenges".

One way to remember this construction is to identify the similarity of its structure with a subgroup modifier's (though they are not structurally identical, this connection may help in remembering the construction):

I have many games in my stock, many of them absolutely rubbish. ( If the latter part were an IC, the construction would be: Many of them ARE absolutely rubbish).

They heard of numerous challenges facing the company, among them X and Y. ( If the latter part were an IC, the construction would be: Among them ARE X and Y).

Now one step further:
If you can think a bit deeper, you would realise that this modifier is in fact a subgroup modifier:

many of them ( a subgroup of games) == X and Y ( a subgroup of challenges)
absolutely rubbish ( referring to "many of them") == among them (referring to " X and Y").

The only difference is that the subgroup and the part referring to it are flipped in the latter case.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 881 [1], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
Chemerical71 wrote:

"sale for" is wrong grammatically

"which" here wrongly refers to the company

"these" is ambiguous

Correct

"these" is ambiguous

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 881 [1], given: 53

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V25
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 11:34

D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of. correct

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 07:58
Chemerical71 wrote:

there are two pattern to know

nouns, including A
nouns, among them A

we need to know these. this question test us

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 171

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 13:14
A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for - including- present participle. It modifies the subject or entire clause. both modifications would be are incorrect

B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of - which by rule modies the noun attached to it, here company. We want to modify challenges rather than company

C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for - included - past participle. It works as appositive, which by definition modify the noun it is touching, here company. Thus wrong.
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of - correct

E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for[/size] - 'these' cant be used alone. it would have been correct of the sentence had ’these challenges’.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 171

Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2017, 13:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 76 posts ] 

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap