GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 05:32
adkikani wrote:
generis AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma

I see a considerable amount of discussions for the usage of correct idioms
(sales of vs sales for; and threat of vs threat for).
Being a non-native, I am not a huge fan of idioms ;)

Is parallelism correct in A?

I assume threat from forms the base for parallel list:
  • a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit
  • declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

A noun element in first list can be parallel with verb-ing modifier of the second element.
I don't like idioms either! They don't test what the GMAT should test. :)

As for your question, in that option, two nouns are parallel to each other:

... the numerous challenges facing the company... among them (a) the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and (b) the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip

So the two challenges they've mentioned are the threat from a lawsuit and the declining sales (declining is an adjective for sales).
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 00:42
adkikani wrote:
Quote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

A noun element in first list can be parallel with verb-ing modifier of the second element.

I usually ignore idioms too since they are often smokescreens.
(A) is incorrect. Use of both "including" and "among them" is incorrect.

Either you say "... numerous challenges ... including A and B"
or you say "numerous challenges ... among them A and B"

As for parallelism, the challenges are "threat ...from suit " and "decline in sales ...".
These are the ones in parallel.

"threat from declining sales" isn't very logical.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2019, 09:31
dcummins wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Quote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.

I know you tagged a few mods, but I'm going to try answer this as

Here's (a)
(A) including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for

"the threat" = a noun
"the declining sales" = complex gerund

I'll approach this based on rules, which state the following regarding complex gerunds:
Rule: Complex gerunds can be parallel to either another complex gerund or action nouns
For example:
The raising of the white flag is as important as the lowering of weapons. (Both complex gerund phrases)

Or

The raising of the white flag and the release of prisoners are signs of peace. (Complex gerund phrase and action noun)

We always prefer action nouns to complex gerund phrases.
Incorrect: The raising of the white flag and the releasing of prisoners are signs of peace.
Correct: The raising of the white flag and the release of prisoners are signs of peace. (Complex gerund phrase and action noun)

I'm no expert, but unless i'm mistaken about "the threat" merely being a noun then I'm correct about stating that these two items in (A) are not parallel.

Hi experts , i think

1) threat (abstract noun) can be parallel to the decline in sales ( which is action noun) ( but not to declining sales )... am i right?

2.) only if concrete noun is present, then we cannot make these a parallel.. as that is always parallels with concrete noun .. am i right?

JonShukhrat generis
Intern
Intern
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 05:41
mymba99 wrote:
In that case, 'numerous challenges' is plural. So we need 'include' and not 'includes'.

I even thought what if the 'which' is pointing to 'presentation' and then 'includes' will be right...but later thought I was thinking too much.

egmat, Can you please explain on the above?

"facing the company" modifies "on the numerous challenges", which is prepositional phrase that modifies "Presentation".

Thus, can't "which" refer to presentation?
If I place the which next to presentation, I have to move a short phrase "facing the company" to the end. So, One of the exceptions is that a short phrase can come in between a modifier requiring TOUCH rule.

The below construction is quite awkward. 2 spots for which. both are awkward.

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation[1. WHICH....] on the numerous challenges [2. WHICH...] facing the company

If i slash and burn, the essence of the WHICH Clause is this.
Presentation on the challenges includes the threat and declining sales.

Sounds good.
Would love to know where am i wrong in my logic
GMAT Club Bot
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 05:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics