GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 07:34
5. The passage suggests that the researchers mentioned in the second paragraph who observed anteaters break into a nest of ants would most likely agree with which of the following statements?

(A) The event they observed provides conclusive evidence that anteaters use their electroreceptors to locate unseen prey.
(B) The event they observed was atypical and may not reflect the usual hunting practices of anteaters.
(C) It is likely that the anteaters located the ants’ nesting chambers without the assistance of electroreceptors.
(D) Anteaters possess a very simple sensory system for use in locating prey.
(E) The speed with which the anteaters located their prey is greater than what might be expected on the basis of chance alone.

GMATNinja carcass GMATNinjaTWO

Please help.

I can't see how it's E. I know why its not A but why E??????????????????????
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organ  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 18:48
jennpt wrote:
Hi AG95,

You messaged me to ask about how to eliminate answer choice B on question 3. I'm posting my response here in case it can help others as well.

Answer choice B can't work because it says "a function identical to that of electroreceptors." Identical is an extreme word, so you should always be suspicious of it in any RC answer choice. You would need really extreme language in the passage to justify that answer. However, the passage doesn't say that they have the exact same function - it says that they can have some of the same function (responding to electrical stimuli) but that the tactile receptors are not nearly as precise as the electroreceptors. So we can't justify an answer that says they have identical function.

Hope that helps - please let me know.

Best, Jennifer

GMATNInja, please help
For Q3, still not able to understand how to eliminate B. In the function role we could think of understanding 1st paragraph with or without the tactile receptor. When both (snout & tactile ) are there, it simply answers the question that "Yes"there is an additional organ that responds to electronic stimuli. When tactile is not present, it means only "snout" organ responds to electronic stimuli.

Hence B makes sense...moreover identical, though literally means exact replica, can be also used in the sense of serving similar function(tho not exact)....Hence still don't think "identical" as a strong language.Please provide some color on the same

While I do agree with A as a potential choice but somehow this does not become too apparent. By responding to stimuli, understand that we won't be able to distinguish between snout's or tactile's response and hence it makes sense to eliminate an alternative explanation, however somehow B looks more appealing/tempting.

3. The author of the passage most probably discusses the function of tactile receptors (lines 7-11) [While it is true that tactile receptors, another kind of sensory organ on the anteater’s snout, can also respond to electrical stimuli, such receptors do so only in response to electrical field strengths about 1,000 times greater than those known to excite electroreceptors.] in order to

(A) eliminate an alternative explanation of anteaters’ response to electrical stimuli
(B) highlight a type of sensory organ that has a function identical to that of electroreceptors
GMAT Club Bot
Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organ   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2019, 18:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

Australian researchers have discovered electroreceptors (sensory organ

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics