It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 18:44
Hi all, I know it's already pretty late in the application process but I still can't decide Baruch or Zicklin...

My background:
Canadian university graduated with 3.19 GPA and finance concentration. GMAT 700, doing GMAT one more time in 2 weeks.
I want to do a one-year program that's either an MS in Marketing or MBA with Marketing concentration. Don't wanna go to small cities and so targeted either NYC or Chicago. There isn't really a school in Chicago that meets my needs so I'm looking at 3 in NYC:

Columbia's MS in Marketing
Baruch's MS in Marketing
Fordham's MS in Marketing Intelligence

I know Columbia's a bit of a stretch for my GPA and lack of outstanding achievements, so I'm really deciding between Baruch & Fordham.

I've read about a lot of comments from people on different sides, and most of them argue about other fields like accounting or finance, so I'm still very confused at this point. What I know so far between the 2 schools are listed below.

Networking opportunities: Avg age of B vs Z are 27 vs 25, so Baruch has an advantage there for having more experienced professionals.
Prestige: Baruch is ranked higher than Fordham, but seems like both schools have good reps in NYC? Not sure about outside NYC... I might come back to Canada and if a employer has never heard of either and do a Google search, then Baruch's ranking looks better.
Location: Both are in Manhattan.
Cost: Baruch is way cheaper.
Starting Salary: About the same?
Cohort Size: Not sure about B but F has around 70 which I thought is quiet big of a class.

So that's my dilemma. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :-) :(

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Re: Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 17:22
:( ...

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jun 2017
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Re: Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 19:34
Bumping up, same consideration. Can anyone shed some light here? :)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2447

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Re: Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 15:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
One perspective - Living in NYC and hiring in NYC I have seen way more Baruch MBA/MS students in the workforce or interviewing. I'm not sure if that is a result of the career center or the students but Baruch business students are more highly visible than Fordham students in my experience
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Re: Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 16:29
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
One perspective - Living in NYC and hiring in NYC I have seen way more Baruch MBA/MS students in the workforce or interviewing. I'm not sure if that is a result of the career center or the students but Baruch business students are more highly visible than Fordham students in my experience


Thanks so much for the input!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Sep 2017
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 13:10
agentcooper wrote:
Hi all, I know it's already pretty late in the application process but I still can't decide Baruch or Zicklin...

My background:
Canadian university graduated with 3.19 GPA and finance concentration. GMAT 700, doing GMAT one more time in 2 weeks.
I want to do a one-year program that's either an MS in Marketing or MBA with Marketing concentration. Don't wanna go to small cities and so targeted either NYC or Chicago. There isn't really a school in Chicago that meets my needs so I'm looking at 3 in NYC:

Columbia's MS in Marketing
Baruch's MS in Marketing
Fordham's MS in Marketing Intelligence

I know Columbia's a bit of a stretch for my GPA and lack of outstanding achievements, so I'm really deciding between Baruch & Fordham.

I've read about a lot of comments from people on different sides, and most of them argue about other fields like accounting or finance, so I'm still very confused at this point. What I know so far between the 2 schools are listed below.

Networking opportunities: Avg age of B vs Z are 27 vs 25, so Baruch has an advantage there for having more experienced professionals.
Prestige: Baruch is ranked higher than Fordham, but seems like both schools have good reps in NYC? Not sure about outside NYC... I might come back to Canada and if a employer has never heard of either and do a Google search, then Baruch's ranking looks better.
Location: Both are in Manhattan.
Cost: Baruch is way cheaper.
Starting Salary: About the same?
Cohort Size: Not sure about B but F has around 70 which I thought is quiet big of a class.

So that's my dilemma. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :-) :(


A bigger question: Why are you doing an MS in Marketing? Are you looking to build skillsets for a specific kind of Marketing? Do you already hold a Marketing position? If you're transitioning from Finance, I question if you're going to see your desired goals. You'll likely need to start from a lower level position with less pay than current and build skillsets anew.

Unless you get to a strategic role (usually via MBA or many years of experience), you'll likely need to specialize in a particular area of Marketing.

That's not to discourage you from doing it. Education is helpful. Just putting some realistic goals if you're using the MS to pivot. With that said, you're 100% better off saving the cash and doing Baruch or whatever is the cheapest option if you're just aiming for the skillsets of the degree. The education is mostly the same if the school is AACSB accredited.

The only area I can think a Masters degree would help to land new opportunities would be Market Research. Otherwise, you're better off building experience at a specialization or getting an MBA from a prestigious school instead.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Re: Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 14:09
greatmightypoo wrote:
agentcooper wrote:
Hi all, I know it's already pretty late in the application process but I still can't decide Baruch or Zicklin...

My background:
Canadian university graduated with 3.19 GPA and finance concentration. GMAT 700, doing GMAT one more time in 2 weeks.
I want to do a one-year program that's either an MS in Marketing or MBA with Marketing concentration. Don't wanna go to small cities and so targeted either NYC or Chicago. There isn't really a school in Chicago that meets my needs so I'm looking at 3 in NYC:

Columbia's MS in Marketing
Baruch's MS in Marketing
Fordham's MS in Marketing Intelligence

I know Columbia's a bit of a stretch for my GPA and lack of outstanding achievements, so I'm really deciding between Baruch & Fordham.

I've read about a lot of comments from people on different sides, and most of them argue about other fields like accounting or finance, so I'm still very confused at this point. What I know so far between the 2 schools are listed below.

Networking opportunities: Avg age of B vs Z are 27 vs 25, so Baruch has an advantage there for having more experienced professionals.
Prestige: Baruch is ranked higher than Fordham, but seems like both schools have good reps in NYC? Not sure about outside NYC... I might come back to Canada and if a employer has never heard of either and do a Google search, then Baruch's ranking looks better.
Location: Both are in Manhattan.
Cost: Baruch is way cheaper.
Starting Salary: About the same?
Cohort Size: Not sure about B but F has around 70 which I thought is quiet big of a class.

So that's my dilemma. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :-) :(


A bigger question: Why are you doing an MS in Marketing? Are you looking to build skillsets for a specific kind of Marketing? Do you already hold a Marketing position? If you're transitioning from Finance, I question if you're going to see your desired goals. You'll likely need to start from a lower level position with less pay than current and build skillsets anew.

Unless you get to a strategic role (usually via MBA or many years of experience), you'll likely need to specialize in a particular area of Marketing.

That's not to discourage you from doing it. Education is helpful. Just putting some realistic goals if you're using the MS to pivot. With that said, you're 100% better off saving the cash and doing Baruch or whatever is the cheapest option if you're just aiming for the skillsets of the degree. The education is mostly the same if the school is AACSB accredited.

The only area I can think a Masters degree would help to land new opportunities would be Market Research. Otherwise, you're better off building experience at a specialization or getting an MBA from a prestigious school instead.


Thanks for the input! I have been working in digital marketing for a few years now. Realistically I want to transition into more of a marketing analyst role, and I'm finding it hard to break into this field without relevant education, hence I'm going for a MS Marketing Analysis program.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Sep 2017
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 16:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
agentcooper wrote:
greatmightypoo wrote:
agentcooper wrote:
Hi all, I know it's already pretty late in the application process but I still can't decide Baruch or Zicklin...

My background:
Canadian university graduated with 3.19 GPA and finance concentration. GMAT 700, doing GMAT one more time in 2 weeks.
I want to do a one-year program that's either an MS in Marketing or MBA with Marketing concentration. Don't wanna go to small cities and so targeted either NYC or Chicago. There isn't really a school in Chicago that meets my needs so I'm looking at 3 in NYC:

Columbia's MS in Marketing
Baruch's MS in Marketing
Fordham's MS in Marketing Intelligence

I know Columbia's a bit of a stretch for my GPA and lack of outstanding achievements, so I'm really deciding between Baruch & Fordham.

I've read about a lot of comments from people on different sides, and most of them argue about other fields like accounting or finance, so I'm still very confused at this point. What I know so far between the 2 schools are listed below.

Networking opportunities: Avg age of B vs Z are 27 vs 25, so Baruch has an advantage there for having more experienced professionals.
Prestige: Baruch is ranked higher than Fordham, but seems like both schools have good reps in NYC? Not sure about outside NYC... I might come back to Canada and if a employer has never heard of either and do a Google search, then Baruch's ranking looks better.
Location: Both are in Manhattan.
Cost: Baruch is way cheaper.
Starting Salary: About the same?
Cohort Size: Not sure about B but F has around 70 which I thought is quiet big of a class.

So that's my dilemma. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! :-) :(


A bigger question: Why are you doing an MS in Marketing? Are you looking to build skillsets for a specific kind of Marketing? Do you already hold a Marketing position? If you're transitioning from Finance, I question if you're going to see your desired goals. You'll likely need to start from a lower level position with less pay than current and build skillsets anew.

Unless you get to a strategic role (usually via MBA or many years of experience), you'll likely need to specialize in a particular area of Marketing.

That's not to discourage you from doing it. Education is helpful. Just putting some realistic goals if you're using the MS to pivot. With that said, you're 100% better off saving the cash and doing Baruch or whatever is the cheapest option if you're just aiming for the skillsets of the degree. The education is mostly the same if the school is AACSB accredited.

The only area I can think a Masters degree would help to land new opportunities would be Market Research. Otherwise, you're better off building experience at a specialization or getting an MBA from a prestigious school instead.


Thanks for the input! I have been working in digital marketing for a few years now. Realistically I want to transition into more of a marketing analyst role, and I'm finding it hard to break into this field without relevant education, hence I'm going for a MS Marketing Analysis program.

Cool! Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I'd definitely stick with Baruch then. You're not going to get any additional benefit from NYU unless you want to access their network over time, and absolutely no gain for doing a Fordham degree.

If you're planning on doing something broader in 5 years or so then I'd suggest going the MBA route. If you plan on moving up from an Analyst (Marketing Manager or whatnot) then you'd have a leg up with an MBA (that is if you don't plan on switching industries) even if it's 4 or so years old. It's only 18 more credits, and you can just take the same courses for the Marketing Electives, effectively making it like a MS + some management courses.

Here's the caveat: If you're planning on switching completely to something like Brand or Product Management, then I'd do Baruch's MS now and consider a Full-Time MBA sometime down-the-line when you're ready. Cuz you'll lose the opportunity to do that if you just take Baruch's MBA (which doesn't really offer much in the way of recruitment and internship access...you're entirely on your own). Baruch's a good value program if you're just looking for an MBA to help move up from either your company or getting a job somewhere else (Marketing is hard to move up organically unless you're working for a large firm), but not if you need school help in recruiting. Just keep that in mind, as it would be a really hard sell for a 2nd MBA if you do decide to go that route.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
Re: Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 17:10
greatmightypoo

Great insights, thank you very much! Yah I have applied for Baruch and am waiting to hear back. I'm still at a pretty early stage in my career so I don't think I'll get the most out of an MBA right now, but can definitely benefit from a specialized masters degree. :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Sep 2017
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 17:10
agentcooper wrote:
greatmightypoo

Great insights, thank you very much! Yah I have applied for Baruch and am waiting to hear back. I'm still at a pretty early stage in my career so I don't think I'll get the most out of an MBA right now, but can definitely benefit from a specialized masters degree. :)

Sounds like you already have a few years of experience. By the time you complete your MBA, you'll have 2-3 more years.

It's funny. I've been touring MBA programs the last 2 weeks, and find a ton of useful info just on the courses I've taken that are immediately actionable in my job (optimizing pricing, for example). In a way, the curriculum of an MBA is better when working because you're immediately dealing with the issues presented.

It's more a matter of where you want to take your career...are you interested in switching down the line and still a bit undecided, or is the path you're on what you want for the next 20 years? If you know the trajectory you want to go towards and you don't need to pivot or change, I think an PT MBA would be a better choice than an MS. I've already seen positions in Digital Marketing that ask for MBA's (management positions, obviously).

Some bio: I have 5 years experience in Digital Marketing. Done a bit of analytics but I'm in the Retention realm now. Originally I was planning on doing a Part Time MBA so I'd be eligible for less specialized positions like being a DMM, eventually leading up to overall Marketing Manager. Truthfully, there are obstacles I need to work on that only a Full Time can help with (soft skills based), and I want to switch to Brand in the long-term.

If you know you're gonna stay in the Digital Marketing realm in NYC then I say go for the MBA locally at Baruch or Rutgers. They're both well recognized regionally. An MBA just has a lot more weight down-the-line, and 2-3 years is a while from now. By then, you'll have more than enough experience to justify it.

BUT....if you do want to pivot, or want to keep that door open, then do the MS (or simply wait until you're ready for a FT MBA from a grad school you're interested in). I'm skeptical of any MS having a lot of Long Term weight, so just keep that in mind.

Your GMAT score is already high enough to challenge for a top tier MBA with a bit more experience, and definitely a T15-25 one (I'm actually kinda envious). Definitely high enough for a PT now even with only 2 years of experience. Your grades last something like 4 or 5 years before you need to retake. So keep that in mind if you do plan on doing an MBA in 2-3 years...if you can move up in your career without an MS it might not be worth it. It takes 1-2 years to complete an MS, so you might not see the benefits of it anyway.

Not discouraging you. Just being pragmatic about it. Think about your 5 year plan realistically and see where you lie on that, and if the MS really works with that plan.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing?   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 17:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Baruch's Zicklin or Fordham's Gabelli for MS marketing?

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.