Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Modifiersx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Schools: Simon '25
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
huntgmat wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations

(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

Hi Guys, I have difficulty to understand the OG explanation for elimination of option E.
It says: "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in" ???? What does it exactly mean.
Is it some kind of rule , I hunted on net with faliure.

In (A), is it valid to take the antecedent of "them" as "book illustration", since its just a modifier and not a part of the structure of the sentence?

In (B), can the "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" be a double modifier of "Beatrix Potter" despite it has "ing" verb which generally modifies the subject of the previous clause, but sometimes as the opening modifier?

In (E) what's wrong?

AndrewN

Hello, lakshya14. I will get straight to your questions. In (A), yes, them must refer to book illustrations, since no other reasonable plural noun appears in the sentence (not even the potential compound subject in her keen observation and love of the natural world). Thus, you can interpret (A) as,

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating her book illustrations with her narratives...

That is most unsatisfying, I think you will agree. Why not just say that Beatrix Potter carefully coordinated her book illustrations with her narratives?

In (B), again, yes, you might want to think of carefully coordinating them with her narratives as a modifier of the noun that follows, namely the author herself, but double-stacked introductory phrases are often a telltale sign of a poorly written sentence in GMAT™ world, not to mention that the -ing modifier reaches backward and forward at the same time—we still need to refer back to her illustrations to qualify them, but we are left in suspense until we jump across the comma and reach Beatrix Potter. In short, (B) is just as much of a mess as (A).

Finally, (E) places this in her book illustrations in a tight spot. It seems to be an aside, non-essential information that is roped off by commas, but then we get carefully coordinated them after the second comma. The sentence logically reads,

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated her book illustrations with her narratives and...

Why would the sentence need to mention her book illustrations twice to express the vital meaning? (C) is the only answer choice that sidesteps this major stylistic flaw. By adopting an introductory phrase, relative clause, main clause structure, it presents the information in a clear and direct manner (no repetitions needed).

I hope that addresses your concerns. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]
In choice C, isn't the modifier "which she carefully coordinated with her narratives" separated with comma a non-essential modifier?
If we remove the same, the sentence will be rendered meaningless.
I rejected choice C on the same pretext only because it contains a non-essential modifier which when removed will make the sentence unclear.
GMATNinja, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, egmat VeritasKarishma pls. help me understand
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64937 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
surajks wrote:
In choice C, isn't the modifier "which she carefully coordinated with her narratives" separated with comma a non-essential modifier?
If we remove the same, the sentence will be rendered meaningless.
I rejected choice C on the same pretext only because it contains a non-essential modifier which when removed will make the sentence unclear.
GMATNinja, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, egmat VeritasKarishma pls. help me understand

When you remove the non essential modifier, the sentence makes complete sense.

Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world in her book illustrations.
or
In her book illustrations, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

"which she carefully coordinated with her narratives" is modifying "illustrations". The fact that her illustrations were carefully coordinated with her narratives has nothing to do with the fact that she capitalised on her keen observation and love of the natural world in her book illustrations.
These are two different characteristics of her illustrations.
The non essential modifier just tells us something extra about these illustrations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
huntgmat wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter

(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations

(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

A, and B shouldn't use "coordinating", and the logic of the phrase is lost.

D the comma breaks apart the sentence incorrectly

E uses "them" is ambiguous in it's use, and the modifier is incorrectly uses a comma

C has the correct placement of the modifier, uses "which" correctly, and keeps the subject "Beatrix Potter"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Why is option D incorrect in this question? Can someone please help me understand?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sharmashagun770 wrote:
Why is option D incorrect in this question? Can someone please help me understand?

Here's the (D) version of the sentence.

Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

That version is incorrect because it communicates the illogical idea that Beatrix Potter was "carefully coordinated with her narratives" when she "capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world."

That idea is illogical since it doesn't make sense that Beatrix Potter was coordinated with her narratives (stories) when she capitalized on (utilized) her keen observation and love of the natural world in her book illustrations.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharmashagun770 wrote:

Hey sharmashagun770

To add to what MartyTargetTestPrep has said above in this response, I'd like to mention one additional point:

Choice D does not end in a comma.
That gives us:

D: Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

For this choice to be correct, we would need a comma after "illustrations" also. In its current form, Choice D places a comma (,) between the subject "Beatrix Potter" and its verb "capitalized". And this is incorrect.

I hope this helps.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
EducationAisle wrote:
A handy thing to remember is that GMAT does not like two modifiers "back to back", since GMAT considers this as too much separation between the subject and the main verb.

In A, "in her book illustrations" and "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" are both (at least intended to be) modifying "Beatrix Potter", and the main verb "capitalized" comes only after these two modifiers. Not a great construct.

Q#104 OG12:

El Niño, the periodic abnormal warming of the sea surface off Peru, a phenomenon in which...

Again two modifiers following El Niño...not good.

Q#106 OG13 option B:

Originally developed for ..., having the ability to ..., a technique

Again two modifiers before the subject "a technique" is introduced...not good.

EducationAisle
Thanks for the explanation. So, you are technically saying that ''consecutive modifier is not allowed in GMAT'', right?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep can you pls explain your second explanation ?

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
Hello MartyTargetTestPrep,
Would you mind giving us your opinion regarding answer choice B ?
I was between B and C and picked C , but I think that in B the non restrictive modifier is correctly modifying Beatrix Potter it is just not as efficient as C?

Here's the version created via the use of (B).

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

The modifier "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" is problematic in two ways.

One issue is that the participial phrase "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" has to modify the clause "Beatrix Potter capitalized ...." This modification is illogical, because it is not logical that Beatrix Potter would have capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world by or in the process of carefully coordinating her illustrations with her narratives. The two actions have little to do with each other. So, modifying the clause with the participial phrase results in the sentence's conveying a nonsensical meaning.

Secondly, "In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them" is not logical. It modifies what Beatrix Potter did "in her book illustrations" by saying what she did to her book illustrations, "coordinating them." It does not make sense to mix discussion what she did in and to her illustrations in this manner.

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
So, you are technically saying that ''consecutive modifier is not allowed in GMAT'', right?

Not preferable. In other words, if two back-to-back modifiers (especially constructs such as two back-to-back participial phrases) are used, see if there are other better choices available.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep can you pls explain your second explanation ?

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Here's the version created via the use of (B).

(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

The modifier "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" is problematic in two ways.

One issue is that the participial phrase "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" has to modify the clause "Beatrix Potter capitalized ...." This modification is illogical, because it is not logical that Beatrix Potter would have capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world by or in the process of carefully coordinating her illustrations with her narratives. The two actions have little to do with each other. So, modifying the clause with the participial phrase results in the sentence's conveying a nonsensical meaning.

Secondly, "In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them" is not logical. It modifies what Beatrix Potter did "in her book illustrations" by saying what she did to her book illustrations, "coordinating them." It does not make sense to mix discussion what she did in and to her illustrations in this manner.

Posted from my mobile device

Can you tell me more specifically are you wondering about?
EducationAisle wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
So, you are technically saying that ''consecutive modifier is not allowed in GMAT'', right?

Not preferable. In other words, if two back-to-back modifiers (especially constructs such as two back-to-back participial phrases) are used, see if there are other better choices available.

I got the same message from sayantanc2k 2 yrs back! I also tested it scrutinizing most of the official questions, and it works.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts