GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 15:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

44% (01:05) correct 56% (01:16) wrong based on 506 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hi,

Can someone help verify my reasoning for the correct choice to this question?

Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction economy, the spending of one dollar typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than in a single- or limited-transaction economy.

typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than
typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than it would
typically generates several times as much gross income in such an economy as though
in such an economy typically generates several times as much gross income as the spending of one dollar would
in such an economy typically generates several times the gross income than

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Re: Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2014, 15:06
Is the correct idiom "several times as much as"? Is that why "several times the gross income than" is incorrect in this case? Initially, I picked B as the answer, but I think it is idiomatically incorrect. Would love to read other members' reasoning for this question.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 04:09
In such phrases the correct idiom is X times as [adjective] as.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 21:15
Experts please help with this. How is D correct? And what's wrong with B?

souvik101990
Narenn
Gnpth
carcass

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2015, 00:17
Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction economy, the spending of one dollar typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than in a single- or limited-transaction economy.

A. typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than

Look at the word ......THAN ........It means we need to compare .......compare what ??

the spending of one dollar ...........is compared to ...........in a single or limited transaction economy ..........(WRONG )

B. typically generates several times the gross income in such an economy than it would

it .........ambiguous pronoun ..........may refers to economy or the spending

C. typically generates several times as much gross income in such an economy as though

wrong comparison

D. in such an economy typically generates several times as much gross income as the spending of one dollar would

correct

E. in such an economy typically generates several times the gross income than

wrong comparison

CORRECT ANSWER D
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 04:44
THis is a typical case in which the correct answer choice looks really wordy and awkward.

Here we have a complicated comparison that must be expressed properly. Choice (D) is correct: the spending . . . generates several times as much gross income as . (D) also correctly repeats the spending of one dollar instead of using the unclear pronoun it .

Answer (A) incorrectly uses generates several times the gross income . . . than .

Answer (B) incorrectly uses it which implies that the second spending is the same as the first. The second spending constitutes the same amount as that of the first, but the two are not the same spending.

Answer (C) incorrectly uses generates several times as much. . .as though .

Answer (E) incorrectly uses generates several times the gross income than .

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2015, 05:37
@Hopeful101

Before getting down to serious dissection, just consider the basics. ‘Than’ does require ‘more’ for proper comparison. Choices A, B and E don’t have that structure. Between C and D, C distorts the meaning by using an inappropriate term ‘though’. D survives though wordy.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 06:02
daagh wrote:
@Hopeful101

Before getting down to serious dissection, just consider the basics. ‘Than’ does require ‘more’ for proper comparison. Choices A, B and E don’t have that structure. Between C and D, C distorts the meaning by using an inappropriate term ‘though’. D survives though wordy.

Hi daagh,

I have a doubt .
Although (D) is essentially the correct answer by POE , I want to know the usage of would here
what "Would" is doing in this sentence ?
It is used because author intends to explain a prediction/assumption ?

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2016, 06:02
daagh wrote:
@Hopeful101

Hi daagh,

I have a doubt .
Although (D) is essentially the correct answer by POE , I want to know the usage of would here
what "Would" is doing in this sentence ?
It is used because author intends to explain a prediction/assumption ?

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 09:36
‘Would’ is an elided form of ‘would generate’

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 09:52
souvik101990 wrote:

Answer (B) ...... but the two are not the same spending.

Would you please explain why the two are not the same spending? It seems to me that both are same spending of one dollar.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Hasan Mahmud

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 06:07
The construction "generates several times the gross income… than…" is incorrect. It should either be written "several times more gross income… than…" or "several times as much gross income… as…"

Choices (A), (B), and (E) all use "several times… than…" Choices (C) and (D) use "several times as much… as…"

Choices (A), (B), and (E) all misuse "several times," pairing it with "than."

Choice (C) and Answer Choice (D) both use the correct "as much… as…" structure. However, choice (C) introduces a stray "though" which is unnecessary and incorrect.

(D) is significantly longer than any of the other choices, but this does not automatically make it overly wordy. In fact, the extra words serve to make the sentence more clear and easy to read. (D) is correct.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 06:07

Because of the multiplier effect inherent in any unlimited-transaction

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap