It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 02:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17599 [2], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Revision Project: Before its independence in 1947 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The original sentence begins with a modifier ("Before its independence") that clearly
describes India, though the subject of the main clause is Britain. Moreover, "ruled
India as a colony" is wordy and the verb "ruled" is in the simple past when it would be
better in the past perfect (two past actions, one of which was earlier). Finally, "they"
has no grammatical antecedent and "would" is not a proper tense here (the simple
past is required).
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) Britain should not be the recipient of the modifier "Before its independence."
(C) The pronoun "they" has no logical antecedent. Logically it probably refers to the
British, but the British do not appear in the sentence. Also the past perfect tense
would have been preferable here (had been ruled) since the ruling occurred before
the relinquishing of the power.
(D) The phrase "ruled as a colony by Britain" is awkward and unclear. The placement
of the modifier "by Britain" makes it unclear that the ruling is being done by Britain.
(E) CORRECT. This correctly places India as the recipient of the opening modifier.
The past perfect is utilized to indicate that different times in the past. Notice that the
word "ruled" has been removed from this answer choice, however, this did not result
in a change of meaning. To be a colony of the British is to be ruled by the British.
The exclusion of the pronoun its in the beginning of the sentence (see answer
choices A and C) is incidental. The sentence would have been correct with the
pronoun its as well.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17599 [2], given: 1986

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [2], given: 44

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: Revision Project: Before its independence in 1947 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power - "its" may ref to India or Britain. Ambiguous. Eliminate

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power - Before independence in 1947 should modify India as per intended meaning. Had (past perfect) is not required here.

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power - Its and They has no clear reference.

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power - Seems ok

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power - Seems ok

between D & E, i will choose D.

Had been not required in E. in Option D, passive construction allows had been.

any other explanation.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Kudos [?]: 87 [2], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 492

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA - In a while!

E for me. Since British refers to people 'which' is not possible.

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 492

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5825 [2], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
321kumarsushant wrote:

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power - "its" may ref to India or Britain. Ambiguous. Eliminate

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power - Before independence in 1947 should modify India as per intended meaning. Had (past perfect) is not required here.

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power - Its and They has no clear reference.

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power - Seems ok

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power - Seems ok

between D & E, i will choose D.

Had been not required in E. in Option D, passive construction allows had been.

any other explanation.

hi sushant firstly 'HAD BEEN ' IS REQD AS WE ARE TALKING OF A PERIOD BEFORE 1947..
and secondly D can be out for the following reasons...
1) ruled as a colony .. i feel one of them is redundant as colony in itself means it is being ruled..
2)second and more important 'which' is for things and 'who' should be used for countries..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ans E...

they ' is wrong

wrong modifier, britian being modified

again they is incorrect for a single country

ruled not reqd and which is wrong

correct

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator

Kudos [?]: 171 [1], given: 537

Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
chetan2u wrote:
ans E...

they ' is wrong

correct

I don't think "which" is wrong in D. It refers to Britain.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Kudos [?]: 171 [1], given: 537

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 66

Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Ergenekon wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
ans E...

they ' is wrong

correct

I want to say E for the same reasons too. British should be referred to by "who"

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 66

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power : Wrongly 'Before its independence in 1947' wrongly modifies Britain , Also who is the they referring to ..should be it .

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power : Wrongly 'Before its independence in 1947' wrongly modifies Britain

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power : They seems to suggest india would relinquish power which changes the meaning of the sentence .

A tad bit confused on this one , sounds awkward also passive construction .

Bingo E is right answer .

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 41

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5825 [1], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ergenekon wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
ans E...

they ' is wrong

correct

hi ,
let me ask you one thing . what pronoun do we use to refer to countries ?
It is generally 'she'... so we should not use 'which' as it is used for things..
'who' fits in for pronoun 'she'... but i agree it is debatable...

Kudos [?]: 5825 [1], given: 117

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 151 [1], given: 70

Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS

lets study the contenders......

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power-- means : India was ruled by Britain, how: as a colony... "which" may be ok as a modifier to "britain"... may not be a modifier to "british" though.....hence sentence APPEARS OK....

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power.....India had been a colony of the British... colony in which the inhabitants were the British....In this case it talks nothing of who ruled whom....

British, who relinquished power..... is ok as british are people......

hence i feel D is right and E is wrong......

Kudos [?]: 151 [1], given: 70

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5825 [0], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 23:21
semwal wrote:

lets study the contenders......

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power-- means : India was ruled by Britain, how: as a colony... "which" may be ok as a modifier to "britain"... may not be a modifier to "british" though.....hence sentence APPEARS OK....

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power.....India had been a colony of the British... colony in which the inhabitants were the British....In this case it talks nothing of who ruled whom....

British, who relinquished power..... is ok as british are people......

hence i feel D is right and E is wrong......

hi semwal,
ruling is inherent to word colony..
to be a colony means to be ruled by that country..
rather in D, use of both colony and ruled may not be correct..

Kudos [?]: 5825 [0], given: 117

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 129 [2], given: 79

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here we go,

The fight is between option D and Option E

Option D: India had been ruled as a colony by Britain

as is used as a preposition here.. followed by a noun -> Colony
when as is used as a preposition, it generally means 'in a role of'/ 'in a capacity of'

For Example -

As a teacher, Rahul has done a commendable job. ---> Rahul is in the role of Teacher.

The India in the role/capacity of colony had been ruled by Britain ----> wrong

Going with E.

Kudos [?]: 129 [2], given: 79

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17599 [0], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 08:46

Kudos [?]: 17599 [0], given: 1986

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Revision Project: Before its independence in 1947 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2015, 09:01
The use of "which" in D is not incorrect.

Consider these phrases:

The British are the people who eat fish and chips.

Britain is the country in which they eat fish and chips.

(or say Britain is the country which eats fish and chips.)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 04:12
Haha i wonder that i should know who got independence in 1947 - India or Britain?=)))

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 845 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 07:08
Haha...it's certainly faster when you know about the relationship between Britain and India...this question probably does favor Indians a bit.

GMAT questions are designed to be self-evident, meaning that you don't need outside information to understand the proper meaning. This question is the same - you can determine the proper relationship between the countries based on who "ruled".

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 15:23
Oh yeah Kyle. Perfect reply=))

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 70

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 2.73
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 05:08
garimavyas wrote:
i too narrowed down to D and E, why is WHO > WHICH ?

E is favored for the main part of the sentence.... but this doubt of Who v/s which is creating a niggling doubt.... Is it a trick or am i missing something... ?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 70

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 05:42
pr31 wrote:
garimavyas wrote:
i too narrowed down to D and E, why is WHO > WHICH ?

E is favored for the main part of the sentence.... but this doubt of Who v/s which is creating a niggling doubt.... Is it a trick or am i missing something... ?

See the posts above for the issues with D - they are related to meaning and don't have anything to do with 'which'. On this question both who and which are used correctly therefore one is not greater than another.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2015, 05:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 76 posts ] 

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap