GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 04:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: Saïd (R3) - Admitted
Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2009, 05:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:11) correct 52% (01:15) wrong based on 1279 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.

(A) Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power
(B) Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power
(C) Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power
(D) Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power
(E) Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

The following question came in one of MGMAT tests. I am not convinced to the OA. Hoping somebody can explain.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 22:48
vietmoi999 wrote:
why D is wrong?. I think "which" in D is correct.

if we can not explain why D is wrong, we have to accepat that D is correct and this question is not good.

I agree with your statement...we need to find ways to eliminate the incorrect answers. Let's talk about D. As was stated, the wording "ruled as a colony by Britain" is indirect/wordy language that the GMAT does not like. Additionally, using that wording creates a potential meaning where India isn't even a colony, just that is was ruled as if it were a colony. Choice E clearly states that India was actually a British colony. Back to meaning issues with choice D, you could also interpret from that wording that India was a colony "next to" Britain.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

General Discussion
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:35
a. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power
Here "its" refers to Britain, not India
b. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power
Unclear, whose independence are we talking about. Seems like Britain's
c. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power
They? It's plural. India AND Britain had something done together?
d. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power
e. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

D) "which" refers only to things or groups I don't know whether ".... Britain, which ...." is correct usage
E) Isn't here a shift of meaning? "India was colony of Britain" is not same as "Britain ruled India" (or "India was ruled by Britain")

So, I'm utterly confused :roll:

Originally posted by shalva on 26 Nov 2009, 06:23.
Last edited by shalva on 26 Nov 2009, 06:35, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2009, 06:30
sinharavi wrote:
The following question came in one of MGMAT tests. I am not convinced to the OA. Hoping somebody can explain.

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.
a. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power
b. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power
c. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power
d. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power
e. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

The first part is modifier. What it modifiers? Clearly India, not Britain. So, A,B out.
In C "they" refers to singular Britain - C is out.

D and E, from my point of view, both look grammatically correct. However in D "had been ruled as a colony" sounds bad. Had been a colony of - sounds better.

I choose E.

BWT, guys, can somebody explain distinction between "WHICH" in D and "WHO" in E. What is correct?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2011, 10:14
A) Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power ….. misplaced modification, India should come after modifier phrase
B) Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power ...... same as A
C) Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power … correct modification but ambiguous pronoun ‘they’
D) before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power ----- ‘had been ruled as a colony by Britain’ is round about.
E) Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power…….’had been a colony of the British’ is more forthright.

E the choice

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2011, 17:59
After "Before its independence in 1947", India -> "India" should be placed immediately after the modifier.
A and B out

C, D and E remain.
C, D - "by" hence both passive. out
E has to be the answer.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2012, 19:02
It is E

D) Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power- Had been rule as colony is indirect
E) Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power- "Had been a colony" is direct and Gmat likes direct sentence.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2013, 04:11
gmatfighter12 wrote:
It is E

D) Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power- Had been rule as colony is indirect
E) Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power- "Had been a colony" is direct and Gmat likes direct sentence.

Something additional here which cannot refer to people, it can refer to things. So D is incorrect and E is correct.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 19:57
why D is wrong?. I think "which" in D is correct.

if we can not explain why D is wrong, we have to accepat that D is correct and this question is not good.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2013, 22:53
ramannanda9 wrote:
gmatfighter12 wrote:
It is E

Something additional here which cannot refer to people, it can refer to things. So D is incorrect and E is correct.

Be careful here. Choice D mentions Britain the country, not the people inside the country, so we can correctly use "which". Choice E changes Britain to British, referring now to the people of Britain (use of "who" is now appropriate).

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Re: Revision Project: Before its independence in 1947  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2015, 06:43

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power - "its" may ref to India or Britain. Ambiguous. Eliminate

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power - Before independence in 1947 should modify India as per intended meaning. Had (past perfect) is not required here.

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power - Its and They has no clear reference.

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power - Seems ok

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power - Seems ok

between D & E, i will choose D.

Had been not required in E. in Option D, passive construction allows had been.

any other explanation.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2015, 09:12
ans E...

A. Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power
they ' is wrong

B. Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power
wrong modifier, britian being modified

C. Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power
again they is incorrect for a single country

D. Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power
ruled not reqd and which is wrong

E. Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power
correct

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 02:55
Here we go,

The fight is between option D and Option E

Option D: India had been ruled as a colony by Britain

as is used as a preposition here.. followed by a noun -> Colony
when as is used as a preposition, it generally means 'in a role of'/ 'in a capacity of'

For Example -

As a teacher, Rahul has done a commendable job. ---> Rahul is in the role of Teacher.

The India in the role/capacity of colony had been ruled by Britain ----> wrong

Going with E.

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 07:08
Haha...it's certainly faster when you know about the relationship between Britain and India...this question probably does favor Indians a bit.

GMAT questions are designed to be self-evident, meaning that you don't need outside information to understand the proper meaning. This question is the same - you can determine the proper relationship between the countries based on who "ruled".

KW

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 15:23
i too narrowed down to D and E, why is WHO > WHICH ?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 05:08
garimavyas wrote:

E is favored for the main part of the sentence.... but this doubt of Who v/s which is creating a niggling doubt.... Is it a trick or am i missing something... ?

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 05:42
pr31 wrote:
garimavyas wrote:

E is favored for the main part of the sentence.... but this doubt of Who v/s which is creating a niggling doubt.... Is it a trick or am i missing something... ?

See the posts above for the issues with D - they are related to meaning and don't have anything to do with 'which'. On this question both who and which are used correctly therefore one is not greater than another.

KW

Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2015, 21:51
Who - in this case refers to "British" (British colony, French Colony , German colony etc)

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 20:16
i believe there is a slight difference in meaning between D and E.
E states that India was a colony, while D states that it was ruled as a colony.
since original sentence favors "ruled as a colony", E thus must be incorrect, as it changes the meaning. Being ruled as a colony does not mean that you ARE a colony, subtle but important detail.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2015, 23:36
I am giving below the relevant portion of explanation with regard to the difference between D and E in relation to ‘India was ruled as a colony’ and ‘India had been a colony’, by Ron of MGMAT: As this topic was originated by MGMAT, their rationale weighs in, I believe.
>https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/british-india-who-t2008.html>

Quote:
Re: British India - Who
Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:07 pm

enniguy wrote: Can someone please explain why D is wrong?

"ruled as a colony" is unclear.

the gmat doesn't tolerate this sort of circumlocution. you have to say things directly.
i.e., if India WAS a colony, then you have to say that it WAS a colony.
"ruled as a colony" doesn't necessarily mean that; it could just signify that India was ruled as though it were a colony, even though it wasn't one.

analogy:

joe was a slave --> he was actually a slave.
joe was treated as a slave --> he probably wasn't a slave.

same problem in (d).

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co &nbs [#permalink] 20 Dec 2015, 23:36

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a co

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap