Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 16:56 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 16:56
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6441 [16]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Share GMAT Experience Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2312 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [4]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Bernard Bailyn has recently reinterpreted the early history of the [#permalink]
Kudos
broall, arvind910619, workout, pandeyashwin, srakshit91

Regarding Q1:
Which of the following statements about migrants to colonial North America is supported by information in the passage?

(A) A larger percentage of migrants to colonial North America came as indentured servants than as free agents interested in acquiring land.
My Analysis: Not given in passage.
Reason: The passage 3 talks about 2 major categories: a) servants and b) ppl came to acquire land; the passage does not give any comparison or statistics on %age distribution

(B) Migrants who came to the colonies as indentured servants were more successful at making a livelihood than were farmers and artisans.
Reason: The passage 3 or entire passage did not mention about farmers. there is no comparison given for farmers VS artisans.

(C) Migrants to colonial North America were more successful at acquiring their own land during the eighteenth century than during the seven-tenth century.
Reason: again, this is not given in the passage. there is no comparison between success rate of ppl during 18th VS 17th century.

(D) By the 1730’s, migrants already skilled in a trade were in more demand by American employers than were unskilled laborers.
My Analysis: CORRECT: given in passage.
Reason: Option D can be inferred from the last sentence of para 3:
These colonial entrepreneurs helped determine the social character of people who came to preindustrial North America. At first, thousands of unskilled laborers were recruited; by the 1730’s, however, American employers demanded skilled artisans.
Further explanation of D is given below.
--------------
Quote:
@ pandeyashwin : you asked --> how can you conclude skilled laborers were in more demand than unskilled laborers

yes, we can definitely say that skilled laborers were in more demand. This is because, author clearly calls out that, at first, unskilled laborers were recruited. The word "however" suggests that unskilled laborers didn't satisfy the need of the job. the job required skilled labor hence the need for skilled laborers was in more as comparted to that of unskilled laborers.
--------------
(E) A significant percentage of migrants who came to the colonies to acquire land were forced to work as field hands for prosperous American farmers.
Reason: again, this is not given in the passage. there is no mention of farmers.

I hope this is clear now.

Give Kudos even if you disagree :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [3]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Bernard Bailyn has recently reinterpreted the early history of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
srakshit91: for Q5:

According to the passage, which of the following is true of English migrants to the colonies during the eighteenth century?

(A) Most of them were farmers rather than trades people or artisans.
(B) Most of them came because they were unable to find work in England.
(C) They differed from other English people in that they were willing to travel.
(D) They expected that the colonies would offer them increased opportunity.
(E) They were generally not as educated as the people who remained in England.

To understand this, please refer to para 2:
The first of these asserts that residents of early modern England moved regularly about their countryside; migrating to the New World was simply a “natural spillover.” Although at first the colonies held little positive attraction for the English—they would rather have stayed home—by the eighteenth century people increasingly migrated to America because they regarded it as the land of opportunity.

From the bold and underlined text above, we can interpret that ppl traveled from England to America as later would provide increased opportunity. All other options are either not given OR can't be interpreted from the para.

I hope it's clear now.

---
Please give kudos even if you disagree.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 9071 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took almost 15 mins, including 5 mins to read the passage.

1. Which of the following statements about migrants to colonial North America is supported by information in the passage?[/b]

(D) By the 1730’s, migrants already skilled in a trade were in more demand by American employers than were unskilled laborers.- Correct
At first, thousands of unskilled laborers were recruited; by the 1730’s, however, American employers demanded skilled artisans.

2. The author of the passage states that Bailyn failed to
Although Bailyn goes on to apply his approach to some thousands of indentured servants who migrated just prior to the revolution, he fails to link their experience with the political development of the United States.
(D) relate the experience of the migrants to the political values that eventually shaped the character of the United States- Correct

3. Which of the following best summarizes the author’s evaluation of Bailyn’s fourth proposition?

He is undoubtedly correct to insist that the colonies were part of an Anglo-American empire. But to divide the empire into English core and colonial periphery, as Bailyn does, devalues the achievements of colonial culture. It is true, as Bailyn claims, that high culture in the colonies never matched that in England.

(B) It is partially correct.- Correct; The author agrees with a part of Bailyn's fourth proposition but does not agree with a part of the same.

4. According to the passage, Bailyn and the author agree on which of the following statements about the culture of colonial New England?

(A) High culture in New England never equaled the high culture of England.- Correct
It is true, as Bailyn claims, that high culture in the colonies never matched that in England.

5. According to the passage, which of the following is true of English migrants to the colonies during the eighteenth century?
Although at first the colonies held little positive attraction for the English—they would rather have stayed home—by the eighteenth century people increasingly migrated to America because they regarded it as the land of opportunity.
(D) They expected that the colonies would offer them increased opportunity.- Correct

6. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with[
(E) discussing a reinterpretation of early American history that is based on new social research on migration- Correct

7. It can be inferred from the passage that American history textbooks used to assert that
Secondly, Bailyn holds that, contrary to the notion that used to flourish in America history textbooks, there was never a typical New World community.
(C) New England communities were much alike in terms of their economics and demographics- Correct

8. The author of the passage would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about Bailyn’s work?

(A) Bailyn underestimates the effects of Puritan thought on North American culture.- Correct
But to divide the empire into English core and colonial periphery, as Bailyn does, devalues the achievements of colonial culture. It is true, as Bailyn claims, that high culture in the colonies never matched that in England. But what of seventeenth-century New England, where the settlers created effective laws, built a distinguished university, and published books? Bailyn might respond that New England was exceptional. However, the ideas and institutions developed by New England Puritans had powerful effects on North American culture.

teaserbae wrote:
gmat1393 GMATNinja daagh AjiteshArun workout Skywalker18
In Q3 why D is wrong ?
It is controversial and persuasive I found it correct

As per the author’s evaluation, the fourth proposition doesn't seem to be controversial/debatable and persuasive. The author does not debate about it but rather agrees with a part of the fourth proposition and disagrees with other.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
workout, u1983, GMATNinjaTwo, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinja, Gnpth

Please explain Q8.
"However, the ideas and institutions developed by New England Puritans had powerful effects on North American culture." -author's statement.

How is A right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
mallya12 wrote:
workout, u1983, GMATNinjaTwo, SajjadAhmad, GMATNinja, Gnpth

Please explain Q8.
"However, the ideas and institutions developed by New England Puritans had powerful effects on North American culture." -author's statement.

How is A right?

*HOWEVER* shows there's a contradiction of the author's view from Bailyn's line of thought.
So Bailyn says "However, the ideas and institutions developed by New England Puritans had powerful effects on North American
It means the Bailyn doesn't think that Puritan had such powerful effect on North America.
So the Author agrees that Bailyn underestimates the effect of Puritan, this is what the question is asking.
Option A says Bailyn underestimates the effect Puritan had on North American Culture...CORRECT!
Hope this helps?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Richter: Richter
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GPA: 3.39
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
[color=#ffff00]My best passage ever - 15.5 minutes and only Q# 3 is wrong. I used information to POE and left B and D. Yet, I chose D not B, can not decide which is better. Can anyone help me? :please :please [/color]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
RichterPhan261195 wrote:
[color=#ffff00]My best passage ever - 15.5 minutes and only Q# 3 is wrong. I used information to POE and left B and D. Yet, I chose D not B, can not decide which is better. Can anyone help me? :please :please [/color]

For Q#3, we refer to the fourth passage. Throughout the passage, we can see that author is agreeing with Bailyn partly, but also providing his/her own points that Bailyn failed to consider.

"He is undoubtedly correct to insist that the colonies were part of an Anglo-American empire. But to divide the empire into English core and colonial periphery, as Bailyn does, devalues the achievements of colonial culture. It is true, as Bailyn claims, that high culture in the colonies never matched that in England. But what of seventeenth-century New England, where the settlers created effective laws, built a distinguished university, and published books?"

Out of B and D, B seems a better fit as the author agrees with few parts of Bailyn's reinterpretation but disagrees with other parts and points them out in the argument. The author has not indicated any controversy or persuasion here.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
It is more of a general question, rather than specific to this passage... Can somebody help me with how you locate the right part of the passage when you read a question. Most of the time I am lost and keep searching all over the passage and waste my time. I do take short notes and try to comprehend each para in part as whole, but it does not help in some question types.

For example in Q8 - most likely to agree questions can be anywhere in the passage... I did not know where to search. Someone pl enlighten me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Sajjad1994 all q's timer is shown below
hope u don't mind tagging u again and again
P.S- i am going through R.C 1000 series

_/\_ _/\_
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38302 [0]
Given Kudos: 5849
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Chatenya wrote:
Sajjad1994 all q's timer is shown below
hope u don't mind tagging u again and again
P.S- i am going through R.C 1000 series

_/\_ _/\_

Edited!

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
IAM not able to understand question number 4 can someone explain me

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
JamesPatrick wrote:
IAM not able to understand question number 4 can someone explain me

In 4th paragraph the author states "It is true, as Bailyn claims, that high culture in the colonies never matched that in England."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GPA: 3.41
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Bernard Bailyn has recently reinterpreted the early history of the [#permalink]
2/ The author of the passage states that Bailyn failed to
Scope: he fails to link their experience with the political development of the United States.

(A) give sufficient emphasis to the cultural and political interdependence of the colonies and England

(B) describe carefully how migrants of different ethnic backgrounds preserved their culture in the united States

(C) take advantage of social research on the experiences of colonists who migrated to colonial North America specifically to acquire land

(D) relate the experience of the migrants to the political values that eventually shaped the character of the United States

(E) investigate the lives of Europeans before they came to colonial North America to determine more adequately their motivations for migrating

==>IMO: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Send PM
Bernard Bailyn has recently reinterpreted the early history of the [#permalink]
Kudos
3/ Which of the following best summarizes the author’s evaluation of Bailyn’s fourth proposition?
Scope: He is undoubtedly correct to insist that the colonies were part of an Anglo-American empire. But to divide the empire into English core and colonial periphery, as Bailyn does, devalues the achievements of colonial culture. It is true, as Bailyn claims, that high culture in the colonies never matched that in England. But what of seventeenth-century New England, where the settlers created effective laws, built a distinguished university, and published books?

(A) It is totally implausible. --> extreme word
(B) It is partially correct.
(C) It is highly admirable.
(D) It is controversial though persuasive.
(E) It is intriguing though unsubstantiated. --> wrong, the author gave some reason to prove BB was incorrect

=> B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
7/ It can be inferred from the passage that American history textbooks used to assert that
Scope: Secondly, Bailyn holds that, contrary to the notion that used to flourish in American history textbooks, there was never a typical New World community. For example, the economic and demographic character of early New England towns varied considerably.
(A) many migrants to colonial North America were not successful financially
(B) more migrants came to America out of religious or political conviction that came in the hope of acquiring land
(C) New England communities were much alike in terms of their economics and demographics
(D) many migrants to colonial North America failed to maintain ties with their European relations
(E) the level of literacy in New England communities was very high
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 876 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14003 posts