It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 840 [5], given: 30

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:31) correct 44% (01:56) wrong based on 1684 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined precipitously. There were no signs of disease or malnutrition, so there was probably an increase in the number of otters being eaten by predators. Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, and the Aleutian Islands seal population declined dramatically in the 1980s. Therefore, orcas were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument‘?

A. The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.

B. Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.

C. Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.

D. The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.

E. An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.

Please hit kudos if you like this post.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 11 Jun 2017, 04:51, edited 2 times in total.
Official Answer updated

Kudos [?]: 840 [5], given: 30

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16
Re: Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:05
Causal conclusion, so answer eliminating other predator is correct

B

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 68

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:17
Temurkhon wrote:
Causal conclusion, so answer eliminating other predator is correct

B

Sorry but I don't see how B can be the answer. Can you please elaborate on what I am missing.

According to my reasoning, the answer seems to be C. Waiting for OE. :(

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 840 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:21
Hello,

B is incorrect here. It is stated in argument itself the both seals and otters were on decline. So, possibility stated under B ruled out.

Interestingly OA quoted in OG is C, which is debatable.

C could be true in my opinion if the word "inaccessible" is actually replaced by "accessible".

From the rest of the choices E looks attractive as it provides "Additional evidence for decline in seal population" and hence addional support to the agrument that seal population is on decline and hence Orcas will further predate more otters

Whats your take on this?

Vikas

Director
Director
G

Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:33
Seal population declined but it still can be high and eat many otters. C is attractive, but we do not know how many unsurvived otters live in place with no access to predator

what is OA?

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:38
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Hello,

B is incorrect here. It is stated in argument itself the both seals and otters were on decline. So, possibility stated under B ruled out.

Interestingly OA quoted in OG is C, which is debatable.

C could be true in my opinion if the word "inaccessible" is actually replaced by "accessible".

From the rest of the choices E looks attractive as it provides "Additional evidence for decline in seal population" and hence addional support to the agrument that seal population is on decline and hence Orcas will further predate more otters

Whats your take on this?

Vikas

E cannot be the answer simply because we are told that Orcas are "probably" the reason for decline in otter population.

Even if there had been a slight decline in fish population, it is not sufficient to show how it affected the seal population to such an extent that seal population was greatly reduced and that this caused orcas to hunt otters. There are several assumptions to be made to prove this hypothesis right.

Guess it clears some doubts

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:47
why is choice A wrong? you would expect sea urchins, main food of otters, to increase implying that this increase is due to decrease in otters population..

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 101

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 121 [1], given: 68

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 06:56
This post received
KUDOS
raj44 wrote:
why is choice A wrong? you would expect sea urchins, main food of otters, to increase implying that this increase is due to decrease in otters population..

We need to strengthen the argument i.e. strengthen the conclusion.
The conclusion is that Orcas are probably the reason for decline in otter population.

It may be true that a decline in otter population (Cause) is the reason for abundant growth of Urchins (Effect)
but you cannot validate the reverse reasoning that since there is an abundant growth of urchins it is solely because of decline in otter population. There maybe other reasons for increase in urchin growth + the extra knowledge of sea urchins doesn't show how orcas are responsible for decline in otter population.

Orcas hunt Otters-------------> Decline in otter population -------------> Increase in sea urchin population .................... (May be true but there is nothing to validate this)

There should be some more evidence provided in option A to prove the reverse reasoning true.

Kudos [?]: 121 [1], given: 68

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 07:17
Hello Ashish,

Whats your take on C?

Vikas

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 07:23
:( A looks plausible.

Last edited by grr8pe on 12 Jul 2015, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 724

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 121 [2], given: 68

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Hello Ashish,

Whats your take on C?

Vikas

Hello Vikas,

I can try to give a reasonable explanation, though I am not too good at it :lol:

The argument says that the otter population has declined. It also says that malnutrition and disease were not the reasons, so we rule these causes out.
The argument later says that maybe orcas were responsible for this decline in otter population by providing evidence that Orcas did so because of an acute shortage of seals, the primary food of orcas.

The conclusion states that probably orcas were the sole reason for decline in otter population.

Since we have to strengthen this conclusion, we have to somehow prove that orcas are the real culprits and not something or someone else.

As per statement C, Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.
If otters are surviving in the bay, then this rules out any other possibility for the cause of decline in otter population.
Now what strengthens this argument is the fact that this bay is inaccessible to orcas and this prevents them from hunting the otters, therefore the remaining otters survive in the bay. All the other otters who were accessible to the orcas were hunted down and this is the reason for the decline in otter population.

Hope I have managed to be convincing in my reasoning. :lol:

Kudos [?]: 121 [2], given: 68

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 08:18
Thanks Ashish,

Well if most of the surviving ones are not accessible to orcas then we may also infer that may be this situation is persisting since beginning and hence something else caused decease???

I still feel E may be true.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 246

GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 15:49
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
vikasbansal227 wrote:
Hello Ashish,

Whats your take on C?

Vikas

Hello Vikas,

I can try to give a reasonable explanation, though I am not too good at it :lol:

The argument says that the otter population has declined. It also says that malnutrition and disease were not the reasons, so we rule these causes out.
The argument later says that maybe orcas were responsible for this decline in otter population by providing evidence that Orcas did so because of an acute shortage of seals, the primary food of orcas.

The conclusion states that probably orcas were the sole reason for decline in otter population.

Since we have to strengthen this conclusion, we have to somehow prove that orcas are the real culprits and not something or someone else.

As per statement C, Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.
If otters are surviving in the bay, then this rules out any other possibility for the cause of decline in otter population.
Now what strengthens this argument is the fact that this bay is inaccessible to orcas and this prevents them from hunting the otters, therefore the remaining otters survive in the bay. All the other otters who were accessible to the orcas were hunted down and this is the reason for the decline in otter population.

Hope I have managed to be convincing in my reasoning. :lol:

Good Job. OA is C. It is a difficult question.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 246

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 07:02
WillGetIt wrote:
Thanks Ashish,

Well if most of the surviving ones are not accessible to orcas then we may also infer that may be this situation is persisting since beginning and hence something else caused decease???

You have answered the question yourself. If the surviving ones were not accessible to the orcas from the beginning then it is true that they survived because orcas couldn't hunt them but all those otters (the majority) who were outside the bay perished because they were easily accessible to the orcas. Also these otters became an easy meal because the population of seals, the primary food of the orcas, was declining.

By the way, there is a sentence error in my explanation given above. Would anyone mind to find the errors :P :wink: :lol:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 07:56
Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined precipitously. There were no signs of disease or malnutrition, so there was probably an increase in the number of otters being eaten by predators. Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, and the Aleutian Islands seal population declined dramatically in the 1980s. Therefore, orcas were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

A The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.

C. Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.

D. The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.

E An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.

Premises 1--Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands declined precipitously.
premises 2 --There were no signs of disease or malnutrition, so there was probably an increase in the number of otters being eaten by predators.
premises 3-- Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, and the Aleutian Islands seal population declined dramatically in the 1980s.

conclusion---- Therefore, orcas were most likely the immediate cause of the otter population decline.

Otter 's main food is sea urchins
orcas normal prey is seal
seal prey is fish

A The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined.

It says main food of the sea otters is sea urchins has increased because sea otters population declined . Now as per premises 3 Orcas will eat otters when seals are UNAVAILABLE ----UNAVAILABLE means not available completely that is not the case here because as per 2nd statement of the premise 3 says that seal population declined dramatically not UNAVAILABLE . It means that though orcas food may decrease but still available that means may or may be orcas attacked Otters .

irrelevant

This strengthen the statement because most sea otters survive because orcas was not able to reach sea otters. hence those sea otters couldn't survive was those preyed by orcas

irrelevant
E An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food.

Fishing does slight decline of the fish that is the prey of seal . It means seal is available for prey to Orcas. as per premise 3 Orcas will eat otters when seals, their normal prey, are unavailable, , which is not the case here .

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 9

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17324 [4], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2015, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
WillGetIt wrote:

Please hit kudos if you like this post.

Responding to a pm:

Again, Official Answers are not debatable and really, I haven't seen an exception, at least in the verbal section.

Try to understand the logic of (C).

They have very smartly used the word: "surviving".

Let's take the argument first.

Premises:
Sea otter population declined - but no sign of disease and malnutrition so predators might have been responsible.
Seal population declined dramatically.
Orcas eat otters when seals are not available.

Conclusion:
Orcas must have led to otter population decline.

We need to strengthen that orcas are responsible for the huge decline in otter population.

Had the option said, "Most sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas," then the option would have weakened our argument.
But the option says, "Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas." This means that the otters that are left are the ones where orcas cannot reach. Wherever orcas can reach, otters have disappeared from there. It means that it is highly probable that orcas have been binging on otters wherever possible.

Imagine a meadow which was full of grass 2 months back. A small part of the meadow is fenced. Some cattle was introduced in the meadow two months back. What happens if after to months you see that most of the grass is gone except the small part which was fenced? The likely reason is that the cattle ate the grass and hence reduced it.

This is the same concept.

None of the other options are relevant.

Irrelevant

What seals eat is none of concern. What we need to strengthen is that orcas ate up the otters.

This doesn't strengthen that orcas ate the otters. Perhaps some orcas couldn't adapt to decrease in seal population. We don't know.

This might affect seal population. It doesn't strengthen that orcas ate otters.

Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17324 [4], given: 232

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 12:32
Ashishmathew01081987 wrote:
WillGetIt wrote:
Thanks Ashish,

You have answered the question yourself. If the surviving ones were not accessible to the orcas from the beginning then it is true that they survived because orcas couldn't hunt them but all those otters (the majority) who were outside the bay perished because they were easily accessible to the orcas. Also these otters became an easy meal because the population of seals, the primary food of the orcas, was declining.

By the way, there is a sentence error in my explanation given above. Would anyone mind to find the errors :P :wink: :lol:

u have a If-then error,since ur if statement has simple past,ur then statement shud have simple past or would verb...

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 37

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [2], given: 216

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

B Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food.
C Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas.
D The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s.

Last edited by carcass on 30 Jul 2015, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the post

Kudos [?]: 141 [2], given: 216

6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 34 [6], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Argument to be strengthened: "orcas were immediate cause of otter population decline"

A The population of sea urchins, the main food of sea otters, has increased since the sea otter population declined. prey increased when predator decreased - logical outcome which could have already been deducted from the passage - out

B Seals do not eat sea otters, nor do they compete with sea otters for food. relationship between seals and otters is out of scope

C Most of the surviving sea otters live in a bay that is inaccessible to orcas. those who were accessible by orcas, died because of being eaten. only those survived who could not be accessed by predators - strengthens the argument

D The population of orcas in the Aleutian Islands has declined since the 1980s. if predators number declined seals and otters should have increased - in fact weakens

E An increase in commercial fishing near the Aleutian Islands in the 1980s caused a slight decline in the population of the fish that seals use for food. we already know that number of seals declined in during that period - out of scope

Thus Correct Answer: C

Kudos [?]: 34 [6], given: 4

G

Kudos [?]: 9040 [0], given: 1152

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2015, 11:49
Good question

To corfim our therory about otter population decline we must ensure two things: OR a scenarion in qhich the otters decline, strenghtening this side of the story; OR something else that strenghts the orcas side of the story.

Between the two extremes we have the first one in C

Hope this helps

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9040 [0], given: 1152

Re: Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2015, 11:49

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Between 1980 and 2000 the sea otter population of the Aleutian Islands

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap