GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 03:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on propert

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on propert  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 03:41
I'll take D on this one.

The argument implies that a three percent retail sales tax will cover the Funds collected through property taxes.

Therefore, the first statement is the one which the argument tries to refute.

The second statement proves that the claim made in the first would be false since they anticipate an influx of people from neighboring cities to boost the sales which would lead to higher collection in taxes.

Hence D.
Manager
Manager
Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on propert  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 05:25
I will go with A since first bold face looks more like objection rather than claim.
OA please...????
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 07:11
sondenso wrote:
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city. Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca’s schools. Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.
B. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan.
C. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism.
D. The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.
E. The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations.

C.

The first is a crtisicm, that is endorsed by the argument.

The second is the main reason that the argument endorses the plan.

Clear and simple.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 09:08
A

I think it's A since the author predicts that people are bound to buy because of lower sales taxes. There's no data to really prove it, but may be a correct prediction, so A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 09:29
i think A looks the best option on this one
can we have the OA and the OE (if possible)

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

CEO
CEO
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 12:30
I think A, because only A correctly describes the second part: the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 23:12
Oh, I dont think this BF so difficult and tricky that many people choose wrong A, the same to me, except zoltan and gmatcrook OA is D :lol:

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 05:42
sondenso wrote:
Oh, I dont think this BF so difficult and tricky that many people choose wrong A, the same to me, except zoltan and gmatcrook OA is D :lol:

I totally disagree with D. The first is most certainly NOT a point the argument seeks to refute.

Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point.

This is not how Bold faces normally work. The part afterwords is what the argument refutes not the actual bold face.

What is the source of this question?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 18:42
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point

But, right away, the author changes the direction: Nevertheless, implementing the plan will probably NOT reduce the money going to Aroca’s schools.

So I think his point "the critics are correct on this point" is NOT his main view any more. Do you think so?

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 15:17
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city.Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless,implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca’s schools.Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

In the argument given, the two potions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection. [ Correct. First is an objection raised by the critics. Since the conclusion talks about -- bound to increase - it is a prediction.]
B. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan. [Incorrect. The argument talks about how the same plan will achieve more returns due to something happening in the background - It is a prediction.]
C. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism. [Incorrect. The second is a prediction and not the main reason for its endorsement.]
D. The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.[Incorrect: Argument is not refuting the claim. It accepts it. - The critics are correct on this point ]
E. The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations. [Incorrect. Second part doesn't fall inline with argument]
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.8
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 16:08
gregspirited wrote:
Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on property. In place of this system, the city plans to introduce a sales tax of three percent on all retail sales in the city.Critics protest that three percent of current retail sales falls short of the amount raised for schools by property taxes. The critics are correct on this point. Nevertheless,implementing the plan will probably not reduce the money going to Aroca’s schools.Several large retailers have selected Aroca City as the site for huge new stores, and these are certain to draw large numbers of shoppers from neighboring municipalities, where sales are taxed at rates of six percent and more. In consequence, retail sales in Aroca City are bound to increase substantially.

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.
B. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is a point the argument makes in favor of adopting an alternative plan.
C. The first is a criticism, endorsed by the argument, of a funding plan; the second is the main reason cited by the argument for its endorsement of the criticism.
D. The first is a claim that the argument seeks to refute; the second is the main point used by the argument to show that the claim is false.
E. The first is a claim that the argument accepts with certain reservations; the second presents that claim in a rewarding that is not subject to those reservations.

This was a great question to test the boldface question type....I chose A and here is my reasoning:
A: The first Bold face (B1) is an objection which is easily spotted by "critics protest.."...the second boldface (B2) is a prediction that is not fact but will hope to undermine the first statement.
D: I can understand why some would pick this one but I did not because the argument did not say that the first bold was false nor is its intention to disprove! It actually is stated that the author agrees that the critics are correct. The critics are saying it won't raise as much as the tax on property, not that it won't work overall. I think that is a subtle but important difference. It was acknowledged that the amount won't be as much as the tax but the hope is that with the opening of new stores it WILL be - hopeful prediction.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 16:08
This topic have been merged with: http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic-16329.html
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 01:47
'D' is the choice for me - Correct. The plan's likely effect on the amount of school funding is at issue in the argument, whose conclusion is that the plan probably will not reduce that funding.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 12:13
Dear Expert,
Please explain, why option B is wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 16:29
dhnjy wrote:
Dear Expert,
Please explain, why option B is wrong?

The author supports the plan that is criticized by the first boldfaced portion. The author does not argue that an alternative plan should be adopted. Rather, the author says, "your criticism is based on a valid point, but here's why that point doesn't matter so much...". So even though the author does not claim that the criticism is inaccurate, the author doesn't endorse (i.e. approve of or support) that criticism.

www.gmatninja.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 01:18
Opted for A: reason:Yes it is objection or criticism still the author is undermining this by raising his point that why taxes are on lower side so to attract business mean he is refuting that objection

Got Q42,V17
Target#01 Q45,V20--April End

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2018, 06:20
GMATNinjaTwo
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma generis

Quote:
(A) The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.

Is the second part sophisticated way of saying:
The prediction (if accurate) strengthens the objection.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 00:44
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja
VeritasPrepKarishma
Quote:
(A) The first is an objection that has been raised against a certain plan; the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection.

Is the second part sophisticated way of saying:
The prediction (if accurate) strengthens the objection.

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, undermines the force of that objection."

is equivalent to

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, weakens the objection."

Karishma

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 05:37
VeritasPrepKarishma

Quote:
"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, underminesthe force of that objection."

is equivalent to

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, weakensthe objection.

Does not - to undermine - means to weaken?

The force of objection means simply the strength by which a claim is countered to be true

Eg: I undermine the force of objection that Rob stole money from bank.

Is not this is a classic case of double negation?

Eg: I support the fact that Rob stole money from bank.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

P

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 02:22
adkikani wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Quote:
"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, underminesthe force of that objection."

is equivalent to

"the second is a prediction that, if accurate, weakensthe objection.

Does not - to undermine - means to weaken?

The force of objection means simply the strength by which a claim is countered to be true

Eg: I undermine the force of objection that Rob stole money from bank.

Is not this is a classic case of double negation?

Eg: I support the fact that Rob stole money from bank.

It is not a double negative - it is just a weakener

The first is an objection. The second undermines (weakens) that objection (another word for the first bold statement).

Karishma

Save up to $1,000 on GMAT prep through 8/20! Learn more here >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Re: Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on propert &nbs [#permalink] 01 Mar 2018, 02:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Aroca City currently funds its public schools through taxes on propert

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap