Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Inferencex               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [162]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [17]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized households [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi
I don't see a causality but correlation. The more standardized the less waste. Hence the less standardized the more waste - hope that helps. You can also confirm answer by Poe :-)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized households [#permalink]
Yes, it is D.
"a household discards canned food the more standardized it is". This is what actually leads to the inference.

POE:
(A) An increasing number of households rely on a highly standardized diet. not stated anywhere in the passage
(B) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the more nonfood waste the household discards. not given anywhere
(C) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the smaller is the proportion of fresh produce in
the household’s food waste. this could be a tricky wrong answer because it takes words directly from the passage but again this is not something that we can infer
(D) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the more canned and prepackaged foods the
household discards as waste. correct. paraphrase of a part of the passage
(E) The more fresh produce a household buys, the more fresh produce it throws away.not given in passage
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Bookmarks
Here: cr-analyzing-the-garbage-is-oa-wrong-43510.html

OA is given as C,

I think OA is C as well
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Vote for C

Arguement states that "...household discards less food the more standardized- made up of canned and prepackaged foods-its diet is"

I believe D to be wrong because it states "...the more canned and prepackaged foods the...". It is tricking the reader by making the words 'canned and prepackaged food' synonomus to 'food' in general.
Also, the error with this answer choice lies in the assumption that these households are still consuming canned foods at all...

C fits the bill better. The less standardized a households diet, it follows that the less produce they will be discarding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
My choice is C.

More standardized a household’s diet indicates two things..

1. More cans and prepackaged food used ---> Less food discarded
2. More cans and prepackaged food used ---> More fresh produce thrown away

Here "More cans and prepackaged food used" indicates the standardized diet...

Option C is the negation of the point number 2 above... So this fits in..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
i too think C is the answer because D assumes that all households have access to canned and pre packaged i.e. standardized food, which they throw away as waste . funny actually
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
less standardized ----> more food waste -----> less fresh food used discarded means more canned food discarded.

C
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [3]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
here the answer in my opinion is C because the canned are a distraction. here the correlation is: less standardized -----> less waste in proportion of fresh food.

That's it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT Date: 10-08-2013
Send PM
tricky question... still unable to understand :(
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
I think Answer of this question should be C not D.

(A) An increasing number of households rely on a highly standardized diet.--> irrelevant

(B) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the more nonfood waste the household discards.--- more standardized diet is, less food waste. thus less standardized diet, more food waste no nonfood waste. WRONG

(C) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the smaller is the proportion of fresh produce in the household’s food waste.--- if we just reverse the last line of the argument "The more standardized a household’s diet is, however, the greater the quantities of fresh produce the household throws away" we will get the answer......

(D) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the more canned and prepackaged foods the household discards as waste. ---- this sounds plausible at first chance. but if we go back to the argument we see that no relation is given between standardized diet and canned & prepackaged foods. so DISCARD it

(E) The more fresh produce a household buys, the more fresh produce it throws away.---how much a household buy is irrelevant. INCORRECT

So, C it is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Question is not tricky at all,Just word management and jumbling of words

By analyzing the garbage of a large number of average-sized households, a group of modern urban anthropologists has found that a household discards less food the more standardized- made up of canned and prepackaged foods-its diet is. The more standardized a household’s diet is, however, the greater the quantities of fresh produce the household throws away.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the passage?

(A) An increasing number of households rely on a highly standardized diet.

(B) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the more nonfood waste the household discards.

(C) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the smaller is the proportion of fresh produce in the household’s food waste.

Quote:
Correct answer C reason : Key words : Standardised : Canned,packed food & Fresh produce : home made food
- Argument says : More the people eat standard food , more they will waste fresh food
C says : Less standardise food people eat , less the fresh food waste
- People tend to eat fresh food than less waste will be there

(D) The less standardized a household’s diet is, the more canned and prepackaged foods the household discards as waste.

(E) The more fresh produce a household buys, the more fresh produce it throws away.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
C is a better fit than D for following reason(s):

1. It is given, more standardised equals more wastage of fresh food, D- suggests the opposite - the less standardised household equals more canned wastage. From our preparation we know, opposites are not true. Thus we opt for C!

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
Kudos
ctkrishnan wrote:
My choice is C.

More standardized a household’s diet indicates two things..

1. More cans and prepackaged food used ---> Less food discarded
2. More cans and prepackaged food used ---> More fresh produce thrown away

Here "More cans and prepackaged food used" indicates the standardized diet...

Option C is the negation of the point number 2 above... So this fits in..

based on conditional reasoning , how we can arrive at OPtion C? If A then B is not equal to not A is not B ( mistaken negation). therefore i did not consider C

please explain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM