Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:53 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: By offering lower prices and a menu of personal communications options [#permalink]
'C' is correct - The sentence intends to show the effect of the new telecommunications company on the other phone companies. In the original sentence, however, the antecedent of the pronoun them is unclear; it may refer to companies or to customers. If it refers to customers, the sentence structure illogically has the new company forcing customers to offer competitive prices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: By offering lower prices and a menu of personal communications options [#permalink]
"them" in option A correctly refers to "companies" and does not refer to "customers". Hence, the usage of "them" is logically and grammatically correct.

As DmitryFarber rightly said, whenever we have an option between noun and pronoun, choose the noun. Hence we should go ahead with Option C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
(A) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced them
(B) has not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also forced them
(C) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced these companies
(D) not only has captured customers from other phone companies but also these companies have been forced
(E) not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also has forced them

Not Only X but Y. Except A and C, in all other construction it is wrongly used.

B/w A & C, the choice is them vs these companies. It is always clearer if the noun is used instead of pronoun to avoid ambiguity. Hence, A is a better construction.

Ans: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
maybeam wrote:
By offering lower prices and a menu of personal communications options

Guys why is has correct in all the sentence?

I am just starting with prep and really bad at verbal. :please
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
vyascd The use of "has" indicates the present perfect tense. This is commonly used to describe actions that began in the past and are still ongoing ("I have been working out every day") or achievements ("I have run a 5-minute mile"). In this case, the sentence seems to fit both criteria. The company has achieved something, and the effects it is having on its competitors and customers seem to be ongoing, rather than something that happened only in the past. This sentence certainly could have been written in the past, describing past actions only, but there's nothing wrong with the tense it is written in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
vyascd The use of "has" indicates the present perfect tense. This is commonly used to describe actions that began in the past and are still ongoing ("I have been working out every day") or achievements ("I have run a 5-minute mile"). In this case, the sentence seems to fit both criteria. The company has achieved something, and the effects it is having on its competitors and customers seem to be ongoing, rather than something that happened only in the past. This sentence certainly could have been written in the past, describing past actions only, but there's nothing wrong with the tense it is written in.

DmitryFarber

There are two entities separated by and "By offering ... and a menu"

So I thought it should be have ( because it is plural )

Where am I going wrong?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1324 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
By offering lower prices and a menu of personal communications options [#permalink]
maybeam wrote:
By offering lower prices and a menu of personal communications options, such as caller identification and voice mail, the new telecommunications company has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced them to offer competitive prices.

(A) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced them
(B) has not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also forced them
(C) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced these companies
(D) not only has captured customers from other phone companies but also these companies have been forced
(E) not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also has forced them

(A) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced them - Wrong: 1) Pronoun Ambiguity
(B) has not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also forced them - Wrong: 1) Pronoun Ambiguity 2) Idiom
(C) has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced these companies - Correct
(D) not only has captured customers from other phone companies but also these companies have been forced - Wrong: 1) 2 Parallelism Issues
(E) not only captured customers from other phone companies, but it also has forced them - Wrong: 1) Pronoun Ambiguity 2) Idiom
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
There is no absolute rule for identifying the antecedent. "Them" can refer to any plural noun in the sentence, as long as "they," "them," or "their" hasn't already been used to refer to some other plural noun. However, it's important to use sentence structure and whatever you can gather of the author's intent to determine the correct antecedent. The GMAT doesn't test pronoun ambiguity much, but since we have a choice in this case to replace the unclear "them" with the actual noun, it's wise to do so.

As for the word but, it does not necessarily require a comma. You definitely use a comma if it's joining two independent clauses:

I'm enjoying the party, but I have to leave now.

However, there are many other cases where we don't need one:

The robot has a small but powerful engine.
All but one of the guests arrived late.
I aced the verbal section but timed out on the quant.

Or, as we see here . ..

She has not only written three bestselling novels but also developed fifteen important patents.

Note that the use of "has not only" vs. "not only has" cannot be decided in isolation. Either construction could work. "Not only . . . but also" is a parallelism indicator, so we can use "has" afterward as long as it is parallel. In other words, we can say "She has not only X but also Y" or "She not only HAS X but also HAS Y." We just can't say "She not only HAS X but also Y." Having said that, I prefer the usage in the correct answer. There's not much reason to use "has" twice.

this is great explanation. pronoun error is "comparative error". this means pronoun ambiguity can be acceptable in OA, and choice A can be a correct answer if other choices are not better than choice A.

but inhere, pronoun ambiguity is an error because choice C is better. dont always consider a choice incorrect if it contain pronoun ambiguity as choice A dose. this scenario confuse us, the non natives. I call "comparative error" for pronoun ambiguity.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
There is no absolute rule for identifying the antecedent. "Them" can refer to any plural noun in the sentence, as long as "they," "them," or "their" hasn't already been used to refer to some other plural noun. However, it's important to use sentence structure and whatever you can gather of the author's intent to determine the correct antecedent. The GMAT doesn't test pronoun ambiguity much, but since we have a choice in this case to replace the unclear "them" with the actual noun, it's wise to do so.

As for the word but, it does not necessarily require a comma. You definitely use a comma if it's joining two independent clauses:

Or, as we see here . ..

She has not only written three bestselling novels but also developed fifteen important patents.

Note that the use of "has not only" vs. "not only has" cannot be decided in isolation. Either construction could work. "Not only . . . but also" is a parallelism indicator, so we can use "has" afterward as long as it is parallel. In other words, we can say "She has not only X but also Y" or "She not only HAS X but also HAS Y." We just can't say "She not only HAS X but also Y." Having said that, I prefer the usage in the correct answer. There's not much reason to use "has" twice.

corect , choice A could be OA but we still has choice C, better choice. so, GMAT normally accept choice A but we have choice C more clear and so, better. we have to choose choice C. pronoun ambiguity is not absolute rule. method of best choice permits GMAT test us ability to analyze meaning and read well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, egmat, I chose option A over C because:
- 'Them' can only logically refer to phone companies because customers can't offer competitive prices
- Prioritized concision over repetition

Can you please share your views on what should be the strategy in such cases?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
CrushTHYGMAT wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, egmat, I chose option A over C because:
- 'Them' can only logically refer to phone companies because customers can't offer competitive prices
- Prioritized concision over repetition

Can you please share your views on what should be the strategy in such cases?

Hello CrushTHYGMAT,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the exception to pronoun ambiguity only applies if all but one possible referent produce a completely illogical or incoherent meaning; for example, "The brothers recently bought identical cars, and they are both electric." - in this case, pronoun ambiguity does not apply because it is entirely illogical to say that the brothers are electric, meaning "they" can only refer to "cars".

In this sentence, although it does not make much sense in this context, it is not impossible for "customers" to offer lower prices; thus, "them" is ambiguous.

To understand the concept of "Exceptions to Pronoun Ambiguity" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
DmitryFarber

Hi,

Would option A] and B] be correct, had we replaced 'them' with the correct noun. Does 'IT' after 'BUT' in option B] creates a problem because otherwise the meaning would be correct.

By offering lower prices and a menu of personal communications options, such as caller identification and voice mail, the new telecommunications company has not only captured customers from other phone companies but also forced them to offer competitive prices.

DmitryFarber wrote:

Or, as we see here . ..

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts