Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling All CBS 2011 Applicants!! [#permalink]
ankitgarg20 wrote:
Thank you very much brainhurt. The reason I'd mentioned that the question is directed to individuals who are selected or interviewed is that I believed that some conflict of interest may arise if I ask this question to other boarders.

Nonetheless, thank you :)

I hear what you're saying -- that's the cool thing about this board, it really is a tight-knit collaborative community. Most members seem to get that we're such a small portion of the applicant pool that competing against each other will likely have little to no benefit for one's own application whereas helping each other can have a real impact.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Hang tight everyone. Gut tells me we will have a few decisions released tomorrow afternoon. Anyone have any news so far today?

As an aside --- is it just me or does J-term seem not nearly as popular this year?
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
the spreadsheet is closed for editing by anonymous users.

Please use the form link below to initially enter your stats.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewfor ... TFU5NEE6MQ

If you need to change anything or add more dates to your profile, please PM brainhurt.

thanks everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
Send PM
Ankitgarg - For essay 2, I chose to write about two personal interests of mine, breaking it up into two sections. I wrote about how these interests reveal parts of my personality, explained the roots of the interest, gave an example of each, and tried to indicate how they would translate if I were to attend CBS. I was very honest with my approach and resisted the temptation to be cheesey (i.e. I am only interested in helping people, which is why I did excurrics X,Y, and Z). Hope that helps. At least it got me an interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
vincev84 wrote:
Ankitgarg - For essay 2, I chose to write about two personal interests of mine, breaking it up into two sections. I wrote about how these interests reveal parts of my personality, explained the roots of the interest, gave an example of each, and tried to indicate how they would translate if I were to attend CBS. I was very honest with my approach and resisted the temptation to be cheesey (i.e. I am only interested in helping people, which is why I did excurrics X,Y, and Z). Hope that helps. At least it got me an interview.

Thanks Vincev for your response. Infact, I have been working on similar lines for my essay so far. But rather than personal interests, I have picked more sort of personal traits and then have gone on to give examples of some past events where they were exhibited.Finally I am trying to tie them together to show how would those map into my experience at Columbia. Still some work to be done on the essays. Hopefully, I should be able to submit my ED application soon.
Manager
Manager
I gotta tell everyone -- call me crazy but really doesn't look like there are going to be a ton of people in the office next few weeks, hence adcom meetings, hence decisions rendered:

https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/ontheroad

Supports my hypothesis that today/tomorrow they are really going to try to bang out decisions on a bunch of "complete" applications.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
lawgonebusiness wrote:
the spreadsheet is closed for editing by anonymous users.

Please use the form link below to initially enter your stats.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewfor ... TFU5NEE6MQ

If you need to change anything or add more dates to your profile, please PM brainhurt.

thanks everyone!

I've made some formatting changes and fixed the summary stats in the spreadsheet. Any thoughts/concerns?

brainhurt wrote:
One thought on the spreadsheet. I think it makes sense that only people who have submitted their info to the spreadsheet should have access to it. I don't know if this is doable in GoogleDocs -- does anyone know?

Thoughts?

Also, what do you all think about restricting access to the spreadsheet to those who have contributed to it? The only hitch with this is if we do it, you will need a gmail/Google account to be added to the access list.

I do think it's more fair if those who contribute reap the benefits, but I'm not sure if the account issue is too much of a hurdle.
Current Student
Send PM
columbiawannabe wrote:
I gotta tell everyone -- call me crazy but really doesn't look like there are going to be a ton of people in the office next few weeks, hence adcom meetings, hence decisions rendered:

Supports my hypothesis that today/tomorrow they are really going to try to bang out decisions on a bunch of "complete" applications.

You might be right, but at the last info session I went to the adcom guy told us a story about traveling to South America to give info sessions, and he was the only adcom member who went (there were local alumni at the info sessions with him). And I think they go at a pretty intense pace, so there might only be 2 teams of 1 or 2 doing the US dates and 1 team of 1 or 2 doing the Europe dates. I don't know how many adcom members there are, but if it's only 3-6 out of the office there might still be movement.
Manager
Manager
Well the thinking is that Mary Miller needs to be in town.....and some days she wont be...
Manager
Manager
brainhurt wrote:
columbiawannabe wrote:

You might be right, but at the last info session I went to the adcom guy told us a story about traveling to South America to give info sessions, and he was the only adcom member who went (there were local alumni at the info sessions with him). And I think they go at a pretty intense pace, so there might only be 2 teams of 1 or 2 doing the US dates and 1 team of 1 or 2 doing the Europe dates. I don't know how many adcom members there are, but if it's only 3-6 out of the office there might still be movement.

Your color coding is frankly.....tough....can we go back to having the row of cells highlighted a color instead of the font. Im sure most people would agree with me.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I think they all have to be together to make decisions. My interview yesterday was with someone from admissions, and so it depends when they can all sit in one room and move through candidates.
Current Student
Send PM
columbiawannabe wrote:
Your color coding is frankly.....tough....can we go back to having the row of cells highlighted a color instead of the font. Im sure most people would agree with me.....

I found the text hard to read with the background blue or red, but if people generally prefer that of course I'll change it back.

Can you submit your info?

edit: it's changed. btw, I chose the prior formatting to be consistent with GMATClub's color system.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.72
WE 1: Tech Consulting
Send PM
columbiawannabe wrote:
Well the thinking is that Mary Miller needs to be in town.....and some days she wont be...

With the travel, and with the deadline rapidly approaching, are we going to see a lull in decisions for a while? Since there will be a dramatic increase in application volume over the next 2-3 weeks, might they wait to get a better picture of who has applied (and group decisions more closely together), as opposed to trying to pick off good candidates early?
Current Student
Send PM
Also, right now the data is sorted by submit date This makes the most sense to me because you can see the status of the people who submitted around the same time as you, and the waiting game is the part I'm personally most focused on right now.

Note that if you want to re-sort and play around with the data, you can go to File -> Download as -> Excel and go nuts with it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's 2010, you would think the committee could have these conversations via conference call or something, no?
Manager
Manager
charlerp wrote:
columbiawannabe wrote:

With the travel, and with the deadline rapidly approaching, are we going to see a lull in decisions for a while? Since there will be a dramatic increase in application volume over the next 2-3 weeks, might they wait to get a better picture of who has applied (and group decisions more closely together), as opposed to trying to pick off good candidates early?

No. defeats the purpose of "rolling"
Intern
Intern
Send PM
One comment on the spreadsheet. Would it make sense to add a column indicating whether the individual is a reapplicant? This seems to impact timelines and may skew the data.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60  ...  198