Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Calling all Columbia CBS MBA Applicants: Class of 2025 J-Term 2024 [#permalink]
hugoroaster wrote:
Hi all,

I just got accepted from Stern yesterday and wondering if I need to go to Stern. I am also waiting for CBS J-Term, but was told that J-term students cannot do an internship during the summer. Will that be a huge dis-advantage for international students if my career goal is IB or PE?

PS: Anyone knows the current job market in US? Was told that IB are laying off persons. So I am wondering if it is a good timing to quit the current job and go for an MBA.

Background:
Female
Age-30
5 year M&A experiences in Asia market

No, since you will be attending to the second semester during the summer to catch up with the August Term students by the start of the second year.

However, you will have access to the in-semester internship opportunities. They are easier to acquire than full-time internships during the summer, but depending on your performance they can gaurantee, if not more, the same scope of a full-time conversion. In-semester internships are also great for someone seeking to change careers as firms present a part-time intern from CBS with the opportunity to explore new avenues on the basis of their academic modules and know-how on the new subject matter.

Secondly, and more importantly, you will have access to the same student organizations and plethora of opportunities to network within the community at CBS and in New York.

If you can afford to wait for a decision from CBS, then you could. Else if you need to pay the deposit to NYU Stern soon and so before a possible decision from CBS, pay that and go to Stern. The differences, considering your goal, are practically non-existent. They’re both equally great for you.

Don’t have any evidence to comment upon the current and future job market in the U.S. for IB aspirants. Sorry :(

By the way, congratulations on your Stern admit! :)

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by VidittMathur on 01 Jul 2023, 06:07.
Last edited by VidittMathur on 02 Jul 2023, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia CBS MBA Applicants: Class of 2025 J-Term 2024 [#permalink]
Kudos
hugoroaster wrote:
Hi all, I just got accepted from Stern yesterday and wondering if I need to go to Stern. I am also waiting for CBS J-Term, but was told that J-term students cannot do an internship during the summer. Will that be a huge dis-advantage for international students if my career goal is IB or PE? Background: Female Age-30 5 year M&A experiences in Asia market

For IB, a summer internship is pretty much a requirement. But since you worked in M&A before, your odds might be better. I would still go to Stern. The NYC opportunities are pretty identical but a structured program would help you more than the CBS brand name. Just my $0.02
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia CBS MBA Applicants: Class of 2025 J-Term 2024 [#permalink]
Does anyone know when the application system opened? I'm applying for the J-term, and seeing others who have already received admissions makes me feel anxious. I haven't submitted my application yet... When are you all planning to submit? Would it be too late if I submit it within this week?"

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Katie1217 wrote:
Does anyone know when the application system opened? I'm applying for the J-term, and seeing others who have already received admissions makes me feel anxious. I haven't submitted my application yet... When are you all planning to submit? Would it be too late if I submit it within this week?"

Considering the deadline of 9/13, I am assuming that It would be perfect to submit by early july. I had submitted just last week. The turnaround will be quick.

Even I am unable to determine on what date had the application been released. I have uploaded the same question on ClearAdmit, but have received no answer yet.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Katie1217 please don't focus on this - instead focus on the fact that the acceptance rate for J-term averages around 40% and if you are female, a bit higher than that! I am not sure exactly when the app opened but it cant be more than a couple weeks. We are still early in the J term cycle.....just want to encourage you to focus on the QUALITY of your application more so than the timing. If the quality is sub par - submitting early is nothing more than speeding up the process of being rejected. Just work the process - brainstorm with your recommender - do a lot of research and instrospection for your goals essay and contributions to CBS...submit something compelling.

Katie1217 wrote:

MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
hugoroaster - I would target a few key banks/firms and study their recruitment process. For IB, recruitment is comparative and quite structured;you might find out what percentage of their hires come from these on campus coffee chats and whatnot vs other means. In the past, they have encouraged anyone in need of an internship to avoid J-term but before turning it down you might see if these in-semester internships are yielding offers for your target banks; like a viable pipeline.

hugoroaster wrote:
Hi all,

I just got accepted from Stern yesterday and wondering if I need to go to Stern. I am also waiting for CBS J-Term, but was told that J-term students cannot do an internship during the summer. Will that be a huge dis-advantage for international students if my career goal is IB or PE?

PS: Anyone knows the current job market in US? Was told that IB are laying off persons. So I am wondering if it is a good timing to quit the current job and go for an MBA.

Background:
Female
Age-30
5 year M&A experiences in Asia market
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi
Can anyone explain the application deadline for the deferral program. ?
I will be graduating on sept 2023 am I eligible ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
To Quote their website- "Students graduating during the current academic year from a bachelor’s degree program. (Example: Those who graduate between September 1, 2022 and August 31, 2023 are eligible to apply for the 2023 Deferred Enrollment Program admissions cycle)". Here- https://academics.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/ ... nt-program

Write to the admissions team and request them about the same, because it seems otherwise you’d be eligible for the next year. Again, based on the info on website and the pattern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Applied late last week to CBS j term jan 2024 - is it too late?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
risktakerttyyi wrote:
Applied late last week to CBS j term jan 2024 - is it too late?

Almost a month and a half before, so not really.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I applied to the CBS MBA J-Term intake for 2024. I received the final decision today. I got waitlisted. There isn't much information available online for waitlisted applicants. Could anyone clarify the conversion rate for CBS's waitlist and the possible timeline for receiving any updates? What can I do now to improve my chances?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Applicant2209 wrote:
Hi, I applied to the CBS MBA J-Term intake for 2024. I received the final decision today. I got waitlisted. There isn't much information available online for waitlisted applicants. Could anyone clarify the conversion rate for CBS's waitlist and the possible timeline for receiving any updates? What can I do now to improve my chances?

When had you applied and interviewed?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
VidittMathur wrote:
Applicant2209 wrote:

Applied June 10
Application completed for review June 20
Interview Invite July 11
Interview July 28
Feedback Submitted Aug 3
Waitlisted Aug 10

Could anyone provide any information or past experience about the CBS J Term Waitlist?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has any interviewed applicant received a final decision in the last week or two?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Acceptance via phone call at 10:00 A.M. (E.S.T.) on 25 August. All the very best to the remaining applicants!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Applicant2209 wrote:
VidittMathur wrote:
Applicant2209 wrote:

Applied June 10
Application completed for review June 20
Interview Invite July 11
Interview July 28
Feedback Submitted Aug 3
Waitlisted Aug 10

Could anyone provide any information or past experience about the CBS J Term Waitlist?

Hi! Have you heard back from the school?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi! I just got admitted to CBS J term via email. Although I haven't received the system generated mail yet. Any idea regarding the timelines from the AO confirmation mail to the official mail?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   
Moderator:
234 posts