Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Yale, Michigan, Cornell $$, Duke
 Q45  V46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Yale SOM Applicants [#permalink]
Bamo wrote:
I read those posts. Most of them cite rankings and can be dismissed. But some do bring up relevants points about employment stats. For instance, in 2010, only 9% of the class managed to snag internships in IB and MC - which should truly concern career switchers.

I would like to know what % of those entering IB or MC had no prior experience, in other words are career-switchers. I don't know why I would like to know as I am interested in neither, but I guess to shed more light on the employment stats.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V46
Send PM
springer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on what yale is looking for in the answers to their essays for the 2010 apps?

So Yale needs to see that you understand their values, one of the most important being that businesses operates within society. And that does not just mean societal impact of business decisions, but also how those impacts can affect government policy, which in turn impacts the bottom-line of businesses. So you must show an understanding, through the context of your own industry, how businesses and society are very much connected and impacts each other.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For Personal Statement 2:

Choose one of the following topics and answer it in essay form. Please indicate the topic number at the beginning of your essay. (500 words maximum)

1. A central premise of our teaching about leadership at the Yale School of Management is that true leadership—leadership that helps to address a significant problem in a new way—is necessarily personal. It is only when personal passion aligns with meaningful aspirations that individuals are able to inspire others to act in support of an important goal or cause. What are you most passionate about, and how have you demonstrated a commitment to this passion?
2. What achievement are you most proud of and why?
3. What is the most difficult feedback you have received from another person or the most significant weakness you have perceived in yourself? What steps have you taken to address it and how will business school contribute to this process?
4. Describe a situation in which you devised and implemented a creative or unique solution to a difficult problem. What obstacles did you face and how did you overcome them?
5. Required for reapplicants: What steps have you taken to improve your candidacy since your last application?

Does anyone know if reapplicants need to choose one essay topic in addition to answering #5?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
suntear wrote:
For Personal Statement 2:

Choose one of the following topics and answer it in essay form. Please indicate the topic number at the beginning of your essay. (500 words maximum)

1. A central premise of our teaching about leadership at the Yale School of Management is that true leadership—leadership that helps to address a significant problem in a new way—is necessarily personal. It is only when personal passion aligns with meaningful aspirations that individuals are able to inspire others to act in support of an important goal or cause. What are you most passionate about, and how have you demonstrated a commitment to this passion?
2. What achievement are you most proud of and why?
3. What is the most difficult feedback you have received from another person or the most significant weakness you have perceived in yourself? What steps have you taken to address it and how will business school contribute to this process?
4. Describe a situation in which you devised and implemented a creative or unique solution to a difficult problem. What obstacles did you face and how did you overcome them?
5. Required for reapplicants: What steps have you taken to improve your candidacy since your last application?

Does anyone know if reapplicants need to choose one essay topic in addition to answering #5?

Yes. You must choose an essay from 1-4 and essay #5. I inquired about this as well because it's not clear and there is only 1 upload. I was told to put both essays in the same document, making sure to label each essay, and then upload.

good luck.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Stern, SOM, CBS
Send PM
I was a reaplicant as well. I wrote Essays 1 & 2 and answered question #5 for essay #3. As I was accepted I am assuming that this is all that was required. But I would ask just in case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:Wharton (ding), Kellogg (WL -ding), CBS (ding w/ int), Yale (int invite - ding), Anderson (in), Booth (int invite - ding)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Dude, I just reformatted my resume a million times so that it would look normal both in a word document and on the preview screen. Now, my application is submitted! Anyone know how to save a copy of the application for our records?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
thescientist wrote:
Dude, I just reformatted my resume a million times so that it would look normal both in a word document and on the preview screen. Now, my application is submitted! Anyone know how to save a copy of the application for our records?

That is where I usually submit my application via PDF. Don't have to worry about formating. BTW, I heard from a current student that the school has stopped using a bidding system. It's apparently all closed list now at Yale. Any one have any opinions about that?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
GB what do you mean bidding system vs closed?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
GB what do you mean bidding system vs closed?

From my understanding:

There are typically two list. Open list (bid for interviews) vs Closed list (Company pick who to interview). Usually companies look through the apps, the people they found as good match at networking events, connections yada yada, and invite people they want to invite to interview (the closed list invites). If you were unable to get on the closed list, then you have a chance to bid on the invites, everyone is allotted the same number of points and you bid depending on how important a certain company is for you (Open list). Usually bidding is good for people who don't have the strong resume for the company, likely career switchers like myself, but would do well at interviews or case studies.

Certain schools and companies have moved away from the open list. At Kellogg, McKinsey has moved off-campus (another way of saying closed-list invites only - 0% open list) and the school has reduced the open list interview requirement for on-campus interviews to 30% of all available interviews (it was 50% last year).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am wondering if you are supposed to include college extracurriculars in the "Activities" section of the application or only post-college extracurriculars? The wording, "List the most meaningful activities (up to five (5)) in which you participate or have participated from college to date." is confusing me.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Chicago Booth - Class of 2012
Send PM
Count me in for round 2. Submitted today. Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: GM / Strategy
Schools:Yale SOM '12
Send PM
Kudos
Twinks wrote:
I am wondering if you are supposed to include college extracurriculars in the "Activities" section of the application or only post-college extracurriculars? The wording, "List the most meaningful activities (up to five (5)) in which you participate or have participated from college to date." is confusing me.

Thanks!

I took that to mean both during college and since college when I filled out my application. My reasoning was, if you remove the words "to date", it would definitely mean during college. If they meant "since college" they could have made it clear. And there is no other place to list collegiate activities. Two of my activities were very obviously from college and I was admitted so I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Yale SOM just got its largest gift to date 8,888,888
https://mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS/Articles/7066.shtml
Maybe a fact you can inject into your essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Haha! I like the amount of his gift - so Chinese of him. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
zippy10 wrote:

What's the significance of that number?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Jivana wrote:
zippy10 wrote:

What's the significance of that number?

from the article:
Zhang chose to make his gift $8,888,888 because of the significance of the number eight in Chinese culture. Throughout China, eight is considered lucky. The Chinese word for "eight" sounds similar to those for "wealth" and "fortune."

count me in for R2, putting the final touches on my essays now
Intern
Intern
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Ross, Kellogg, Yale
 Q48  V48
Send PM
Any R1 admits hear anything about scholarships? I figured that info would've come with the admit call/packet, but haven't seen anything on this board...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  46