Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:Ross , Fuqua, Goizueta , Harvard , Tuck, Sloan
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
Kudos
Excellent and fast analysis of new HBS curriculum in Poets and Quants.

PoetsAndQuants Harvard's MBA Student Association dubs changes to MBA program "bold new ideas" https://bit.ly/exammX
Chat Moderator
Affiliations: Tau Beta Pi
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.69
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hmm...a new backronym and some more MBA admissions buzzwords... I'm sure these changes are great and will help my education be even better, but the message gets a little lost when they write that way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Wharton (WL), MIT
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 2 yrs banking
WE 2: 2 yrs PE / Hedge Fund
Send PM
smartperson wrote:
Hmm...a new backronym and some more MBA admissions buzzwords... I'm sure these changes are great and will help my education be even better, but the message gets a little lost when they write that way.

I agree. That statement comes off really stodgy and opaque.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:R2: HBS (Accepted), Stanford (Accepted) , MIT (Accepted)
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Consulting
Send PM
Just posted this on the GSB forum but thought it would be of interest here, as well.

Admit rates based on previous two years' Admissions411 profiles, normalized to the actual overall admit rate. Thresholds represent approximate quartiles of the sample, with n=184 for GSB and n=255 for HBS.

GMAT GSB HBS
<700 5% 7%
-725 5% 11%
-750 9% 13%
750+ 8% 13%
Avg 7% 12%

GPA GSB HBS
<3.4 5% 5%
-3.6 3% 10%
-3.8 7% 16%
3.8+ 12% 16%
Avg 7% 12%

If you normalize GSB to match the overall HBS admit rate, then average the two rates for each category, you get the following, where Q1 corresponds to <700 GMAT or <3.4 GPA.

GSB/HBS GMAT GPA
Q1 8% 7%
Q2 10% 7%
Q3 14% 14%
Q4 13% 18%

So 725+ GMAT or 3.6+ GPA seems to matter but subsequent gains appear minimal. Ironic that presence on this forum is probably more indicative, even after accounting for response bias.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Sloan (R2), Wharton (R2), Darden (R2)
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 5 years finance
Send PM
In for R2 as well!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Excuse me if this has already been answered as I am new to the forum, but how do HBS (and other schools, if you have insight into that) interview invitations go out? Is it a computer-generated email to the address on file, a phone call, an individual email from an alum/admissions officer, or do you just have to log-in and check the site? I see a lot of people saying they're logging in to look at their statuses, whereas I haven't been checking at all since I've been assuming I'd just be contacted if offered an interview. Please let me know -- thanks all!!

PS I also read somewhere here that HBS offers alum interviews as well as admissions... I thought they only had admissions officer interviews? Do you get to choose? This forum is quite enlightening.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Harvard R2 - Ding, Stanford R2 - Ding, McCombs R2 - Admit, UNC R3 - Admit
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Communications
WE 2: Not-for-Profit Management
Send PM
sl86 wrote:
Excuse me if this has already been answered as I am new to the forum, but how do HBS (and other schools, if you have insight into that) interview invitations go out? Is it a computer-generated email to the address on file, a phone call, an individual email from an alum/admissions officer, or do you just have to log-in and check the site? I see a lot of people saying they're logging in to look at their statuses, whereas I haven't been checking at all since I've been assuming I'd just be contacted if offered an interview. Please let me know -- thanks all!!

PS I also read somewhere here that HBS offers alum interviews as well as admissions... I thought they only had admissions officer interviews? Do you get to choose? This forum is quite enlightening.

I'm not sure about HBS, but schools do both email and phone calls. Mccombs, Kellogg, UNC send automated emails. Stanford admissions called and followed up with a personal email. I would count on some kind of email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Quick question guys!

I am a R2 applicant. Have a question regarding (a) recommender verification process (b) work ex/extracurricular verification process. I think HBS/AdCom will contact recommenders if they have any questions regarding the applicant (based on his essays/recos) before the invitation interview but will wait till after the interview to contact Volunteer Organizations and/or Employers' HR. Obviously, it will be a waste of time to contact HR/ExtraCurricular organizations of every applicant before he/she has been shortlisted.

Does anyone here have any additional insight into this issue? If HBS chooses to contact extracurricular organizations or employers HR, what is the time-frame? I am looking to prep my recommenders and talk to current/prior HR personnel in case they receive calls from AdCom. I also need to talk to my volunteer organization and ask them to be cognizant of HBS calls. Any additional information will help.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools:Harvard R2 - Ding, Stanford R2 - Ding, McCombs R2 - Admit, UNC R3 - Admit
Send PM
Phoenix9 wrote:
Quick question guys!

I am a R2 applicant. Have a question regarding (a) recommender verification process (b) work ex/extracurricular verification process. I think HBS/AdCom will contact recommenders if they have any questions regarding the applicant (based on his essays/recos) before the invitation interview but will wait till after the interview to contact Volunteer Organizations and/or Employers' HR. Obviously, it will be a waste of time to contact HR/ExtraCurricular organizations of every applicant before he/she has been shortlisted.

Does anyone here have any additional insight into this issue? If HBS chooses to contact extracurricular organizations or employers HR, what is the time-frame? I am looking to prep my recommenders and talk to current/prior HR personnel in case they receive calls from AdCom. I also need to talk to my volunteer organization and ask them to be cognizant of HBS calls. Any additional information will help.

Thanks.

You should prep your recommendations and EC's now. If HBS is interested in you, then they may call before the interview. They called my friend's recommendation and EC contacts and grilled them. They should be prepared to talk about you in detail. I wouldn't worry much about HR unless something looks odd with your work history. Good luck with you application! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
R1 Admits- is this a norm that HBS will touch base with recommenders before interview?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Is this mean or what? Impalpable, I thought non-profit managers are nice, supportive people :)

For those freaking out - HBS doesn't have the bandwidth to check 9000 applicants' extracurricular and work references, especially before an interview... unless you say you invented the internet, in which case, they will just call Al Gore and tell him to kick your butt for false claims. However, they will check the 900 or so people they eventually admit.

:lol: Ha Ha, sorry if that post came off as mean. I meant that they might call if they are highly interested. If you pulled a 760+ GMAT and a 4.0 then they might call in advance. A claim that seems crazy (like inventing the internet, the wheel, or fire) might also draw a call.

Everyone remain calm.... deep breaths... but I would still prep your people now just to be safe.

Oh, and non-profit managers are nice... most of the time. :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:HBS (R1 Accepted)
Send PM
crimemaster wrote:
R1 Admits- is this a norm that HBS will touch base with recommenders before interview?

None of my recommenders were contacted - but I know some people who said their recommenders got a call.
Kudos
Quote:
Sandy,

I have a random question for you. I recently interviewed at a top 10 B school, and spent time with about 6 other applicants in the admissions waiting room. While making casual conversation I asked the others which other schools they are applying to. All the applicants avoided this question, and i definitely received a few awkward glances. There were no representatives of the college in the room. My question is do Admissions Consultants advise not divulging this information? What is your stance?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh, I dont give advice about what to say to peers and friends, altho sure, why be nice when all it can do is backfire, as some crumb rats you out to adcom as using this school as safety. Well, only partially kidding. I think it is a delicate topic and one avoided in some mildly stressful place like Interview Waiting Room. IF asked, dunno, say, "the usual . . ." and leave it at that.

A more pertinent and frequent question is being asked this question by adcoms, and that freg. happens at, e.g., Columbia, sometimes Wharton (in the old humanistic days but not now that the robots have taken over), Chi, NYU, Kellogg etc. My advice in that case is to mention schools in THIS schools peer group, and say getting an MBA is important to you. I have had kids answer H, S, W, and K at Columbia (where it is pretty darn clear that COl is back-up of some kind) and they still got in. I wudda said in that cirs, W and K, unless you were super star and omission of H and S was obvious.

No one likes this exercise, but some adcoms are pressured by directors to do it. This Q even comes up, altho rarely, at HBS. The 'correct' answer is list of other schools, not "ONLY HBS" which sounds like stalking and makes you sound more interested in trophy wife than marriage in general. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:HBS, MIT, Kellogg
Send PM
Any R1 waitlisters out there? Care to share profile or application experience? Seems like we'll hear nothing until April based on last year. I've been accepted to another school but I'm still hanging onto HBS.
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
hbsguru wrote:
Quote:
Sandy,

I have a random question for you. I recently interviewed at a top 10 B school, and spent time with about 6 other applicants in the admissions waiting room. While making casual conversation I asked the others which other schools they are applying to. All the applicants avoided this question, and i definitely received a few awkward glances. There were no representatives of the college in the room. My question is do Admissions Consultants advise not divulging this information? What is your stance?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh, I dont give advice about what to say to peers and friends, altho sure, why be nice when all it can do is backfire, as some crumb rats you out to adcom as using this school as safety. Well, only partially kidding. I think it is a delicate topic and one avoided in some mildly stressful place like Interview Waiting Room. IF asked, dunno, say, "the usual . . ." and leave it at that.

A more pertinent and frequent question is being asked this question by adcoms, and that freg. happens at, e.g., Columbia, sometimes Wharton (in the old humanistic days but not now that the robots have taken over), Chi, NYU, Kellogg etc. My advice in that case is to mention schools in THIS schools peer group, and say getting an MBA is important to you. I have had kids answer H, S, W, and K at Columbia (where it is pretty darn clear that COl is back-up of some kind) and they still got in. I wudda said in that cirs, W and K, unless you were super star and omission of H and S was obvious.

No one likes this exercise, but some adcoms are pressured by directors to do it. This Q even comes up, altho rarely, at HBS. The 'correct' answer is list of other schools, not "ONLY HBS" which sounds like stalking and makes you sound more interested in trophy wife than marriage in general. :-)

Thanks Sandy, that's great advice.

How bout a more general interview question then. From your experience working with applicants, what typically has to happen for a person to have a great interview? How important is hitting all your main points vs. demonstrating a confident demeanor? Anything specific that you really try to coach up in your mock interviews?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
as noted many times, esp. at HBS, the mission is not to have a great interview, it is to prevent a bad one. You dont get too many points for a great interview, but a bad one is deadly.

As L. Blankfein tells new recruits to Goldman (I've heard),' you cannot real help this company much in your first few years here, but you can certainly hurt it.' or words to that effect. Same is true w. interviews, except you are the company.

And I assume you have seen my Interview on this score in Poets & Quants,

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/11/04/how-not-to-blow-your-harvard-interview/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I noticed that in the cost summary, the room cost is for a duration 9 months. Does it mean that during the three months of summer we necessarily have to move all our stuff out then back in?
Chat Moderator
Affiliations: Tau Beta Pi
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.69
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I'm sure you can pay for housing in the dorms for the summer months, too, in which case you wouldn't have to move out...?

It makes sense to me to just rent an apartment, anyway.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  62   63   64   65   66  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts