GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all IMD Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The 2016 class graduates today!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The 2016 class graduates today!
It is Friday morning, very soon the MBAs will be arriving on campus with their families to celebrate this special moment.

They will be gathering for one last time all together in the MBA auditorium, their families will find seats and await them in the auditorium used for the graduation ceremony, and then the most emotional moment (I find) – the procession from one building to the next, the official start of the ceremony – the reality setting in once and for all… ‘I did it!’

Unfortunately, not all family members are able to make the journey to Switzerland to share this special day in person, but for those who would like to watch the ceremony live from a distance, the following link will enable you to follow from wherever you are:

https://livestream.com/IMD/MBAGraduation

Here is the schedule for the morning:

10h30 Music and walk in of MBAs lead by Faculty

Followed by speeches by the MBA Program Director and the Graduation Speaker

11h15 Distribution of diplomas and awards

Followed by speeches by IMD President and elected Class Speakers

13h00 Ceremony close

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
End of an year, beginning of a lifetime  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: End of an year, beginning of a lifetime
“Don’t cry because it is over, smile because it happened”, said Dr. Seuss. And it seems he said it to help me capture in one line this most amazing year. The inevitable happened yesterday – the program came to an end for us and we were unsure about how we felt. We were delighted of course to be called the IMD MBA Graduate, after all we had worked for at least two years to get that title (yes do not forget the long arduous application process). But like first time school goers who cling to their mothers on their first day of school, we were clinging to those last moments, except in our case we didn’t want to go away from this school. But we have to move on! That was inevitable and now is the reality. So where did we find the resolve to say goodbye with a heavy heart and to move on? Well, Dr. Seusse helped a bit. And it also helped that we promised to each other to stay in touch. But perhaps what has helped the most is that we are taking away a little something from each of the other 89 graduates. The new “me” is now made up of a little essence of each of my classmates. Each one of my friends has come to represent for me and others a particular trait. A virtue. A perspective. An emotion and it is this that perhaps will stay with us for a lifetime and it is this essence that gives me the resolve to move forward because now I know that I do not have to rely on just myself.

An obvious question to ask at this point is was it worth it? All the physical and emotional stretch? This abrupt break to our, in many cases, flourishing careers. What has this year given us? For me the answer is clear – a truly open mind. This year has taught me to engage, work, thrive and even rejoice with people who are very different from us. To not judge. To be grateful that there is a point of view that is so different – because that is the real opportunity to find common ground and make progress. This year has taught me to trust people and be led by them. This year has taught me that you do not optimize situations which demand a trade-off between people’s welfare and material wealth – you simply stand for the people – always! This year has taught me that individuals can often dream dreams bigger than themselves and achieve them, as long as they are willing to work with others, bring them along and inspire them to be their best. This year taught me to never make assumptions, certainly not about people. Often we do not know what people are battling, but we can certainly ask and in many cases we can help – we must. This year taught me that it is ok to ask for help, it is ok to take a break, to shed a tear and it is ok to start all over again! And I have realised we can do all of this only when we have a truly open mind. One that is curious, one that asks questions, one that genuinely cares and one that looks at possibilities.

Was all of this worth it? Hell yes!!!!! And the graduation day was the best testimonial that their could be. The whole year came into focus in that one moment. The harmony surrounded us.

It was great to meet our family and friends and also those of our classmates. They shared in our happiness and made it special! They made us realise, as my dear friend Luca said in his brilliant speech (complemented tremendously by Antoine), how blessed we are. How much love and support we have around us –  some that we do not even acknowledge, some that we do not even recognize. We couldn’t have asked for a better graduation day and culmination to this most amazing year of our lives. Those moments will perhaps never be re-created, except in our minds but I take solace in that fact that it happened.

As I move on to the next milestones in my life, I safely hand you over to the fantastic blog team of 2017. Thanks for being by our side through our journey and I hope you will accompany the next batch in the same spirit.

To the batch of 2017 – Welcome! And if you are looking for one piece of advise – I would say keep an open mind. You will only become better and get enriched in these corridors. I wish you all the best!

From this beautiful French part of Switzerland – Au revoir!

Signing off for the last time!

Kunal

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
End of a year, beginning of a lifetime  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2016, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: End of a year, beginning of a lifetime
“Don’t cry because it is over, smile because it happened”, said Dr. Seuss. And it seems he said it to help me capture in one line this most amazing year. The inevitable happened yesterday – the program came to an end for us and we were unsure about how we felt. We were delighted of course to be called the IMD MBA Graduate, after all we had worked for at least two years to get that title (yes do not forget the long arduous application process). But like first time school goers who cling to their mothers on their first day of school, we were clinging to those last moments, except in our case we didn’t want to go away from this school. But we have to move on! That was inevitable and now is the reality. So where did we find the resolve to say goodbye with a heavy heart and to move on? Well, Dr. Seusse helped a bit. And it also helped that we promised to each other to stay in touch. But perhaps what has helped the most is that we are taking away a little something from each of the other 89 graduates. The new “me” is now made up of a little essence of each of my classmates. Each one of my friends has come to represent for me and others a particular trait. A virtue. A perspective. An emotion and it is this that perhaps will stay with us for a lifetime and it is this essence that gives me the resolve to move forward because now I know that I do not have to rely on just myself.

An obvious question to ask at this point is was it worth it? All the physical and emotional stretch? This abrupt break to our, in many cases, flourishing careers. What has this year given us? For me the answer is clear – a truly open mind. This year has taught me to engage, work, thrive and even rejoice with people who are very different from us. To not judge. To be grateful that there is a point of view that is so different – because that is the real opportunity to find common ground and make progress. This year has taught me to trust people and be led by them. This year has taught me that you do not optimize situations which demand a trade-off between people’s welfare and material wealth – you simply stand for the people – always! This year has taught me that individuals can often dream dreams bigger than themselves and achieve them, as long as they are willing to work with others, bring them along and inspire them to be their best. This year taught me to never make assumptions, certainly not about people. Often we do not know what people are battling, but we can certainly ask and in many cases we can help – we must. This year taught me that it is ok to ask for help, it is ok to take a break, to shed a tear and it is ok to start all over again! And I have realised we can do all of this only when we have a truly open mind. One that is curious, one that asks questions, one that genuinely cares and one that looks at possibilities.

Was all of this worth it? Hell yes!!!!! And the graduation day was the best testimonial that their could be. The whole year came into focus in that one moment. The harmony surrounded us.

It was great to meet our family and friends and also those of our classmates. They shared in our happiness and made it special! They made us realise, as my dear friend Luca said in his brilliant speech (complemented tremendously by Antoine), how blessed we are. How much love and support we have around us –  some that we do not even acknowledge, some that we do not even recognize. We couldn’t have asked for a better graduation day and culmination to this most amazing year of our lives. Those moments will perhaps never be re-created, except in our minds but I take solace in the fact that it happened.

As I move on to the next milestones in my life, I safely hand you over to the fantastic blog team of 2017. Thanks for being by our side through our journey and I hope you will accompany the next batch in the same spirit.

To the batch of 2017 – Welcome! And if you are looking for one piece of advise – I would say keep an open mind. You will only become better and get enriched in these corridors. I wish you all the best!

From this beautiful French part of Switzerland – Au revoir!

Signing off for the last time!

Kunal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The IMD Family & Pre MBA Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The IMD Family & Pre MBA Experience
Today’s guest entry is by future 2017 MBA candidate, Manu Gupta.

“Assessment Day” is a crucial day for IMD Admission process.

I did not meet any fellow interviewees before assessment day, but we exchanged a few emails. On the day, I was truly amazed when I met all the other candidates who were doing extremely well in their career and still relentlessly aiming for improvement with the IMD MBA Program. We were 8 people, from different countries and diverse professional experiences, and that crucial day with participants and professors gave me an insight of what IMD has to offer. After our assessment day we all parted to our residences around the world with a hope to see each other again. Frankly, I badly wanted to get admitted to IMD to not miss this lifetime experience. Today, I am very happy to write this blog as an upcoming IMD 2017 participant.

After my acceptance, within few days we had a WhatsApp group for our class and my phone hasn’t stopped buzzing to date, with more and more people joining the group from all over the world.

“Welcome to the Family” were words of my ex-manager, an IMD EMBA alumnus, when I told her that I would join IMD. At that point, I realized how close-knitted the alumni community is, and that the day we step into the IMD Foyer we will not only be business school candidates but also join a family of esteemed individuals.

The MBA 2017 batch of 90 individuals with 40 nationalities will embark a big journey on 11th January at IMD Business School, in Lausanne, my favorite city, located on the shores of lake Geneva.

Time has flown since my admission, and now with only a month to go things have started gaining pace, enormous discussions from arranging logistics, assignments, insurances, to clubs for next year go all day long, and small batch gatherings pop up wherever people can meet around the world, from Tokyo to Dubai to London.

IMD also stands apart from other schools with its incredibly strong partner program, a unique proposition. The school invests in every sense and ensures that not only the participants but also their partners and kids feel at home while their spouses are busy studying.

The feeling of joining IMD is exhilarating, both for my partner and myself. I am glad that I will be spending the whole of next year with few people from my assessment day, and many other talented fellows. I am proud and happy that I will share a class with 89 bright individuals who will shape the future of business in coming years.

Manu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Learning to be more global, authentic and feminine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Learning to be more global, authentic and feminine
Today’s guest entry is written by one of our MBA partners, Vatsala Ghildiyal

I came to Lausanne a little unsure of what I would be doing with the year ahead. After a two month long vacation, I sauntered into Switzerland only in mid-February, and with absolutely no plans. Well thank heavens IMD was more proactive than I was and quickly got me in touch with WIN, Women’s International Networking. WIN is a Lausanne-based organization that conducts Women’s leadership and networking conferences and training events. The biggest WIN event is the Global Conference, this year held in Rome, along with smaller regional Conferences in India, Japan and Nigeria.

The WIN office is just a twelve minute walk uphill from the Ouchy metro station, or a three minute ride in the train. I, of course, greatly enjoyed  the walk back home, downhill, along the flower strewn pathways and where I would regularly stop to stare, awestruck, at the blossoming beauties. Oh the Magnolias, the Hydrangeas, the Ginko Biloba and the Maple trees. I also discovered how beautiful weeds can be and I loved it that they were not razed down and were allowed to exist, in all their glorious wildness, right next to the other flowers. Once, I even saw a hedgehog slowly  crossing my path. It  stopped for a bit, turned it’s little head  towards me, posed, while I furiously clicked pictures, and then slowly disappeared into the bushes. Oh, and did I mention the Alps and Lake Geneva that stood majestically in the background?

I was not actively searching for beauty, yet I continued discovering it. The next place was the WIN office and it’s magnified version at the global conference. I had never before seen such a group of powerful, feminine, beautiful, courageous and intelligent women, who were not afraid to empower one another and lead the way. Along with so many others, these women inspired and empowered me as well, and made me a forum speaker at the conference where I shared my experiences working with women in rural India. Then off they went, doing their business as usual.

Of course, the build up to the conference required putting in some extra hard work, and being a part of the office itself required one to embrace a very strong feminine approach and being sensitive to a wide range of sensibilities. The WIN team alone constituted of a Norwegian, South-African, Mexican, Chinese-German, Indian, Argentinian, Italian and Bulgarian. Whew! Yes, that is how diverse it was. For me, however, that was where the magic was. There were always passionate discussions about spirituality, culture, politics, make-up and fashion. It was a space that felt secure, and where one felt heard, seen and understood.

Winnie the Pooh once said, ‘How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard‘. Echoes my thoughts exactlyImage

Vatsala

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Final word: Gratitude  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 19:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Final word: Gratitude
As I fly over the Atlantic I try to find the words to write my last blog entry – difficult task!

This blog has always been very special to me because it’s where it all started. I fell in love with the IMD program here. I must have read every single entry for the last 7 or 8 years at least twice. I tried to understand the IMD world… it was so unique and almost hidden. A hidden gem.

I feel so grateful for having been given a chance to be part of this. I am now a proud IMD MBA Graduate for life.

When the program started I had no idea I’d be one of those that change Industry, Geography and Function. IMD opened doors to me I could not imagine. Allowed me to meet and connect with some of the most brilliant, exciting, interesting people in the world. It also made me face difficult challenges, experience behaviours I don’t agree with and learn about who I am and who I’m not. You cannot put a price to that. It’s a privilege and an honor.

I feel so lucky that after just one year so much has happened and I am much closer to the life I always wanted deep down. I feel lucky that these exact 89 people chose this class and gave me the chance to connect and learn from them. I feel even luckier that amongst these 89 people I found friends for life, secure bases and role-models.

Our graduation was so special. An entire week of celebrations, displays of affection, people getting together to make a difference for the class. Meeting the families of our classmates that somehow feel today as part of our own family. Hearing their exciting plans for the future. Crying together because the world that seemed so small during the year suddenly got so big as we thought of the distance that would separate us soon. Hearing our names being called one by one and cheering for each other. Crying again. Smiling again…

And now it’s time to go. Go get what we came here for. Go enjoy some deserved holidays. Go give it back to the world what we have been incredibly blessed to receive, as Luca and Antoine brilliantly pointed out in the unforgettable graduation speech.

I leave IMD with an endless supply of gratitude. Gratitude to the people who helped me get here. Gratitude to the people that went through it with me. Gratitude to the people that opened doors for an exciting future ahead.

I am excited to meet the class of 2017! Make the most of your year – it is yours, it is amazing and it goes by fast!

A big THANK YOU to all of you readers who have silently shared this journey with me,

Sílvia Simões

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Till soon…  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 16:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Till soon…
A strange feeling of realizing, that something so powerful in my life as my MBA experience at IMD, is over: no more schooling regimen, no rush, no hubbub, no class psychology, no free fruits any more. I’ve grown up by a second chance and lost another important feeling of presence. Who am I and how am I going to be in the future? Wait a moment, I guess I’ve learned something this year!

While thinking of myself and of my today’s sorrow I asked: why do I feel this way? Obviously, in the midst of relocation, cartons and missing stuff, I am still saying goodbye and not only to my MBA, but also to the whole perception of myself prior to today. Because I will never be the same after this year. And I also let myself grief, as I’ve learned to be sensitive to my inner world and respect it. After all, there is nothing bad in feeling low after having been left on such a height, and, all of a sudden, realize that since now I am on my own to find new way, to implement what I’ve learned, to own and respect myself and people around.

Listening to my daughter’s grumbling on her school life and on my reluctance to support her view, but rather instead telling her to cope with the reality, I am thinking of the secure-based leadership, that I am supposed to give her – a solid and reliable ground to let her accomplish her endeavours.

I don’t know yet what kind of leader I will be professionally, but promise to keep in mind this year’s learnings!

Last weekend, while scanning my school notes, I was realizing how much have I learnt and… forgot. Thanks God, I have my notes and materials to review from time to time. I also have my books, and amongst them our yearbook, so thoroughly and diligently prepared by some of my special classmates. I have many pictures of my school friends, partners, professors and IMD colleagues, while looking on those my heart feels warmth, sense of belonging and love. Oh, I also have an aquarelle card, beautifully pained by our partners, to remind me of what I’ve been through and that “The sky is the limit”, so artistically presented by IMD MBAs 2016 Luca Gianaschi and Antoine Fierens at their remarkable graduation speech. And I am IMD MBA alumna now, a part of this unique, strong and supportive community.

What a wonderful timing, to finish the program and prepare for a new path, at the Christmas Eve and with the last days of the year! As if it is Her Majesty Time that offers us to stop, reflect, say thank you or murmur goodbye, and prepare to scream hallo… So many people I met, and they made me who I am now – I am so grateful to you all! Thank you for helping me change and leaving me relentlessly restless. I can’t choose – I am IMD now…

There will be new candidates filling in Lorange auditorium just in a couple of weeks and my place there will be taken by someone else. Please, value what you have, a newcomer, a forty fifth generation of IMD MBAs! And if you need support, let us know – you are a part of a family now – an incredible honour and a great responsibility.

Happy holidays and till soon (and I never say goodbye here)!

Aysylu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Goodbye and hello  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 08:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Goodbye and hello
At the end of this week the MBA Office will close for the end of year break. Our class of 2016 has already flown the nest and participants from 2017 are getting ready for their adventure with us next year.

I would particularly like to thank our faithful blog writers of this year: Kunal, Aysylu, Silvia and Fouad for sharing their stories, challenges, moments of inspiration and successes with us throughout the year. I hope you have enjoyed sharing their journey as much as I have.

I would also like to thank all of our guest writers who have added their perspectives and experiences, as well as our Japanese bloggers Takumi, Jin, Maki and Takashi who have been keeping our Japanese blogalive.

Over the next few weeks, there will be a couple of guest entries from some of our 2017 participants about their admissions experiences, and then our new blog team will begin to introduce themselves: Priyanka Chandran from India, Lucien Chiron from France, Mohammed Allam from Egypt and Sathappan Sathappan from Singapore. Please join me in welcoming them to the blog and wishing them a great year at IMD.

To all of our readers, I would like to wish you a very happy holiday season and look forward to another MBA year starting January 12th, 2017.

Suzy

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Good vibrations in Lausanne  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 06:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Good vibrations in Lausanne
Today’s guest entry was written by Alessio Orlando, who will be joining the program in 2017.

During the application, I felt the need to better understand if what I wanted to realize was worthy. I wanted to see the place where I could spend most of my time for an entire year and see if it was right for me.

Once I arrived at the IMD campus, I did a questionnaire about my background followed by a very open and honest talk with a representative of the MBA Recruitment Office.

During the visit, we stopped at the MBA classroom. It’s a smaller room than other Business Schools. Once inside, looking at the 90 seats, I tried to feel the vibrations. IMD strongly underlines its “90 exceptional people” policy and once you are there you understand why. A very intimate room, I guess name tags are useful for the first couple of days then everybody is brother and sister with everybody.

At the end of the visit, I decided to go on the lakefront to think about the day. Looking at Lausanne and IMD from there, I decided to do my best in pushing the application forward.

IMD Assessment day: to be or not to be…

Now, here I am, in the train to Lausanne, just a few hours away from the big opportunity. During the past weeks, I read all possible information, legends and rumors about the Assessment Day at IMD and now I am frenetically reviewing all my notes.

I arrive at the hotel. It’s a beautiful, late summer evening in Lausanne. I am just in time for dinner with some of the other participants. Of course, we break the ice exchanging advice about tomorrow.

Finally, the morning is here. Ten minutes’ walk to IMD, few words are spoken, we are all trying to concentrate. A couple of meters away from the entrance, what I consider now the best advice to face IMD Assessment Day comes to me out of the blue: be yourself.

During 8 hours of different activities, it is impossible and counterproductive to pretend to be someone else. Do not be your Assessment Day avatar, just be yourself.

Considering the outcome, I would say it works well…

Alessio

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The Assessment Day & Lausanne  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 06:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The Assessment Day & Lausanne
Today’s guest entry was written by Mohammed Allam who will be joining the program in 2017 and continuing to share his journey with us as one of the official bloggers.

As some people are aware, IMD has a very unique interview process that consists of a full assessment day on its beautiful lakeside campus in Lausanne, Switzerland. This assessment day is far more involved and intensive than that conducted by any other MBA program that I’m aware of. Like many others, I found this more than somewhat intimidating, but I totally understood IMD’s need to fully vet all candidates given the exclusive and intimate nature of its 90-strong program. The fact that the program involves so much in the way of group activities and hands-on learning makes it all the more important that all participants have solid teamwork skills and can interact well in a group dynamic. I definitely felt apprehensive about the whole 8-9 hour process before getting to Lausanne but I quickly learned that it was as much about assessing the applicants as it was about having the candidates learn more about this elite school, its MBA program as well as the unique advantages it has to offer.

Upon getting to Lausanne, I was immediately struck by the idyllic beauty and richness of this underrated city. I had lived in Geneva and Zurich for a few years growing up but coming back to Switzerland for the first time as an adult made me realize that many of its qualities are best appreciated when you’re working or studying in this beautiful country. Many schools are located in either very rural towns to accommodate their sprawling campuses or in an urban metropolis where the line between where the school ends and the city starts is blurred. Lausanne on the other hand seemed to be just the perfect size where you can find plenty of interesting things to do but don’t risk being overwhelmed when you just need to relax and get some schoolwork out of the way. Even more pleasing was the fact that IMD’s campus was literally a stone’s throw from beautiful Lake Geneva back dropped by the gleaming peaks of the Swiss Alps. I went into the assessment day knowing that if I got in, there’s no way I would turn this down.

Mohammed

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Le Meilleur est à venir  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 06:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Le Meilleur est à venir
Today’s guest entry was written by Priyanka Chandran who will be joining the 2017 program and sharing her journey with us as an official MBA blogger.

I am far from superstitious, but the fact that my assessment day was on Friday the 13th made me fairly anxious. On a cold and a very rainy morning, I met my co-applicants (Yes! Teamwork is an integral part of assessment day too) to reach the campus on time for the big day! A warm welcome by Antonio and loads of coffee helped ease my nerves for the impromptu case discussion, role-play and the big interview. As I lunched with a current participant, I am not sure what amazed me more- learning more about the program, the plethora of vegetarian eating options for lunch or the kids running around campus. I felt at ease! An intense case discussion in the second half was followed by Prof Boscheck’s explanation to the morning case. We all realized how far we were from the solution and this was my “aha moment”. I knew I was not willing to bid adieu to Lausanne yet!

If someone ever told you that they saw an Indian girl dancing with joy at Schloss Laufen station, now you will know why. It seemed like a long wait from preparing my application to getting the results but it all seemed worth it after the acceptance.

As I write this piece today, I can’t help but reflect about my experiences on the assessment day. I had participated in discussions ranging from cost pricing policies of an industrial conglomerate to situations faced by an agrochemical giant to future of self-driving cars all on the same day. I was even fortunate to attend Prof Braga’s class and debate with current students. While I missed the big party in the evening, I knew all these unique experiences could only be a part of IMD!

While I gear up for a year full of excitement and adventure, I can really feel that “Le meilleur est à venir” (The best is yet to come!!!)

Priyanka

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Pre-application review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 06:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Pre-application review
Today’s guest entry was written by Sathappan Sathappan who will be joining the program in 2017 and sharing his journey as one of the official bloggers.

When I started GMAT preparation, I had shortlisted a few reputable business schools based on my research. IMD instantly featured in the shortlist because my immediate manager was an IMD alumni and he had great things to say about the school. I initially dismissed some of that as choice bias. To me, it first seemed like a reputable, but exclusive school. I wasn’t sure if I should apply when they only take in 90 participants in a year. I felt the odds were against me, given the time and effort each MBA application takes. I have heard stories of the demanding application form and needling day-long interviews. I was very close to dropping IMD from the shortlist.

One day while browsing through the program details, I saw a link for “profile review” on IMD webpage. I diligently followed the link and filled in my profile details and sent in the cv. A few days later, I got a detailed review of my profile, clearly highlighting the plus and minus points. The admissions committee member encouraged me to apply since I fit the profile. I decided that was a positive sign and kept IMD on the shortlist and continued to study for my GMAT.

A couple of weeks later, I got another email from IMD that the admissions committee would be in London for MBA fair and meeting with prospective students who had expressed interest earlier. I was thrilled to speak to them before officially beginning the application process. This instantly showed me how much IMD cares about the participants they get in the program. I met with the ad-com member in London and briefly discussed my profile and my aspirations. I shared why I was considering IMD and what I hope to gain from the program. I got valuable feedback and I was asked to apply early, just in case. I came back elated from the meeting knowing my strengths and weaknesses better. I had a much better sense of the school and the quality of professionals who go through the program each year.

I encourage all prospective participants to use this great opportunity to get a good glimpse of the program. This will allay your fear about the small class size. I encourage prospective participants to speak to the friendly ad-com and be open about your challenges and ambitions. Their feedback was invaluable in my MBA application process.

Sathappan

GMAT Club Bot
Pre-application review   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2016, 06:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   [ 232 posts ] 

Calling all IMD Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sjas31